John's Photos

Johnathan Aulabaugh

My wife will kick my butt if these get out to much before she has a chance to send them. I am trying to talk her into letting me get one of my others printed with these so we will see. anyways dont tell my wife HAHAHA

20111201_1679.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Lovely family Jonathan. Beautiful shot. The only thing I'd do to it would be to darken (burn) the corners to give you guys more attention and blur a little bit of the background. Nice setting.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Thanks everyone. The dog, rowdy, is a good dog who has been with us for about 5 years. He gets worked with constantly so that he can travel with us when we go exploring.
Marcel, I actually did add a light gaussian blur to the background and burned the shadows around us. I am not a big fan of vignettes either so I did not do that. I may play with it some more since it will not go to print till tomorrow.

So Took Marcels advice and darkened up the corners a tad more and increased the gaussian blur a little more in the back ground.
20111201_1679-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Went fishing this morning. Didn't catch a single fish, but they sure liked stealing my bait.
I saw a lot of dolphins this morning, which was cool, but from what I am told, when you see dolphins your not gonna catch fish, so I got out the camera and had a little fun.

20111205_1754.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Thanks everyone. The dog, rowdy, is a good dog who has been with us for about 5 years. He gets worked with constantly so that he can travel with us when we go exploring.
Marcel, I actually did add a light gaussian blur to the background and burned the shadows around us. I am not a big fan of vignettes either so I did not do that. I may play with it some more since it will not go to print till tomorrow.

So Took Marcels advice and darkened up the corners a tad more and increased the gaussian blur a little more in the back ground.
20111201_1679-2.jpg

This is a great family portrait. The only thing I would do is to remove that annoying tree base at the top right corner. It just bugs me. lol :)

Johnathan Aulabaugh

LOL thanks Jack
yeah that tree stump bugs me to but to do a real accurate job I would have had to either clone 1/4 of the page or take a picture of the grassy area to the right and mask it in. The wifey is satisfied with this for now lol

Johnathan Aulabaugh

Thanks Joe, the 70-200 is awesome for portraits and larger animals not in the wild. I have found it a little short for some animals lol Bear, Elk, Gators
My Settings 70-200 @f8 and 112mm 1/100 and ISO 400
I did not want to drop it down (open up) to much because then you run the risk of bluring parts you would rather have sharp. It is a little different when you have the camera in hand and you can adjust to the shot AS you take it instead of changing everything including a pose with a 3 year old and be in the shot to... All in all I am happy with it. I actually would have preferred it to brighten up a little for the shot but oh well. these went to print this morning so the wife can send them with her xmas cards.

ohkphoto

Snow White
I have been contemplating Silver Efex Pro for the last 6 months. Did the trial, but can't quite decide if it's really worth the money. I have the Color Efex, CS5, and Tiffen DFx.
I do like the PP on your self portrait. Were the surf shots processed in silver efex pro?

Johnathan Aulabaugh

I have not tried the color efex pro yet but until a cpl months ago I did have CS4. just cant seen to get anyone back in cali to dig through storage so I can re install it. I also have not tried the Tiffen DFx but Might after I get done with the silver efex pro trial. I also use Capture NX2. I find that for many aplications the NX2 is a lot more precise when processing raw files than adobe RAW, although much slower than Lightroom, which IMO is superb for portrait photographers.

So far I am pretty impressed with Silver Efex. The surfer pictures above are from Silver Efex. I really like the Film simulations they have although you have to be very careful of how you use it and which "film" you pick.

LOL the self pic was interesting to say the least. I hand held the camera with my 50mm. Capture NX2, Portrait Professional toned down significantly, and silver efex. I am an ugly dude anyways so I think the total outcome of the portrait is pretty fair.

Johnathan Aulabaugh

:p
rotflmao
Yeah Hideous works. I was worried about breaking the mirror. Atleast I know when I do family pics that there is enough beauty in the pics that it evens out my ugliness lol

This forum needs better Smileys lol The forum I frequent for travel has some really cool ones but they are not exactly photography specific

fotojack

LOL..Johnathan, ya got a good sense of humour, bud. Good on ya! :) And yeah, I agree about the crappy Smiley icons we got. I', pretty sure it has to do with the Vbulletin software jdeg uses. That's just the way it rolls, I guess. :)

Johnathan Aulabaugh

LOL..Johnathan, ya got a good sense of humour, bud. Good on ya! :) And yeah, I agree about the crappy Smiley icons we got. I', pretty sure it has to do with the Vbulletin software jdeg uses. That's just the way it rolls, I guess. :)
Expedition Portal uses Vbullitin as well and they have some pretty cool Icons like :clapsmile

I will laugh my but off if it works

Johnathan Aulabaugh

been a little wet today so not much happenin outside for sure. spent some time browsing some of my past pictures and came across a folder of Yosemite that I took in early 2010. I decided toplay around with a cpl of them and ended up with 2 that I really liked but here is one of those

_DSC0273-2.jpg