ISO advice/suggestion needed

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hey all! What ISO would you say was a good high end for the D700? Being use to the D300 and being new to the D700, I admit to being fairly clueless! Lol ;)

I figure knowing the good ISO top end might be a real help if I try any lower light shots! :)

With people shot indoor, I try to limit it with ISO 3200 and that's augmenting the lighting with a bounced flash speed light. I am comfortable with ISO 6400 and I use a slight noise reduction software to make it look much better. Black or dark areas can conceal noise or if you convert it to black and white.

space mountain.jpg

Hollywood tower.jpg

Bill16

I understand what you mean better now, than when I first read your post! I'll take the defuser off, and just redirect the flash next time I try that type of shot!
Thanks buddy for the great advice! :D

@rocketman

The flashed picture looks fine. Instead of directional flash, try bouncing the flash behind you or even bouncing it from your right or left side or even into a corner across from the subject. You'll see how diffused it will be.

The high iso helps to get a shot u would normally get that looks like flash is the main source but with high iso, you can blend what ambient light you have with the flash making it look more natural.

The pic u posted with no flash shows how low the ambient light really is if u bumped it to 6400 and still looked horribly dark but at least the blend with flash will look more natural. If in that situation the ambient was another two stops brighter, u could have lowered your flash exposure at least a stop to make it look even more natural, providing you also diffused the more than your directional light which is very specular in outcome.

This is why i prefer to bump iso and blend it with ambient. It looks a world better. Always expose a third extra when using ISO that high and you can lower the exposure a touch back in pp and it will hide the grain even better. And using high iso also will allow u to step down the aperture for better sharpness as well. If you have a 2.8 lens, shooting it at 4-5 would make things sharper and usually u will see the grain in the out of focus areas but not so much in the areas in focus.

Break free of the fear of grain. Its a different world altogether with blended ambient/flash picture vs only flash because ur afraid of grain. I don't even use any nr in pp ever. Just expose properly. Well lit makes all the difference to convey "feel"

hrstrat57

High ISO sports shots

Bill these were ISO 4000 on the D700 with Nikkor AF-S 70-300 VR = Until I took these I had thought quality action pics with a cheap budget lens were impossible.....can't wait to see what this thing does when I finally get the 80-200 2.8 D and the 300 F/4 AF-S!!

arc_00006.jpg

tj_00010.jpg

push_00008.jpg

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Re: High ISO sports shots

Bill these were ISO 4000 on the D700 with Nikkor AF-S 70-300 VR = Until I took these I had thought quality action pics with a cheap budget lens were impossible.....can't wait to see what this thing does when I finally get the 80-200 2.8 D and the 300 F/4 AF-S!!

Have you considered the 70-200 f2.8 and a TC-14E this would allow you to zoom to 280mm at f4, I use the mentioned setup and find it very useful. A used TC-14 is a lot less than that 300mm.

Last edited:

hrstrat57

Re: High ISO sports shots

Have you considered the 70-200 f2.8 and a TC-14E this would allow you to zoom to 280mm at f4, I use the mentioned setup and find it very useful. A used TC-14 is a lot less than that 300mm.

If budget allowed this would be a first choice of course......

Live feed of subject of above snapshots in action now same venue as pictured most shots were taken from upper deck left of this view...

Watch Live Video - Atlantic 10 - Campus Insiders