"Is she dead, Jim?"

Dangerspouse

I absolutely have to thank everyone here for not only the thoughtful responses I got, but for the genuine expressions of empathy for my plight. It turns out Peter7100's insane sounding suggestion actually did the trick, much to my stunned surprise. But ALL of you gave excellent advice, much of which I would not have thought of on my own. I even got an offer of a loaner camera from Cindy, which...well, I can't tell you what that meant to me. Maybe there's hope for humanity after all :cheerful:

This really is a wonderful group, and I thank you all.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some IN FOCUS pictures to take :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I absolutely have to thank everyone here for not only the thoughtful responses I got, but for the genuine expressions of empathy for my plight. It turns out Peter7100's insane sounding suggestion actually did the trick, much to my stunned surprise. But ALL of you gave excellent advice, much of which I would not have thought of on my own. I even got an offer of a loaner camera from Cindy, which...well, I can't tell you what that meant to me. Maybe there's hope for humanity after all :cheerful:

This really is a wonderful group, and I thank you all.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some IN FOCUS pictures to take :)

Lol - you're such a schmuck! :loyal: But shhh...I did that myself many years ago. Just don't tell anyone! ;)

Glad Peter was able to help you resolve your problem! :)

Peter7100

Oh my GOD.

PETER!

IT WORKED!!

*sob* I love you, man.

Thank you so much for 1. remembering this ridiculous sounding trick, and 2. typing it all out for me. I promise I'll vote for your photos in the Weekly Challenge now even if they suck!

Woooooooooo!

:loyal:

Just glad you have a working camera again and you don’t have to vote for my awful photos ;).

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Not sure if this is relevant to this make/model, but on Canon body, I was able to reset things by doing the following: 1. Switch off, 2. remove battery and card 3. switch on 4. Hold down the shutter for at least 15 seconds 5. switch off 6. re-instal battery and card 7. switch on and keep your fingers crossed.
It worked for me and cleared unusual issues I was having with it.
This was apparently a suggestion from a technician in one of their factories and was not widely known in the public domain. It makes you wonder if this is what they do when people send their cameras in for a repair costing a fortune:confused:

Lol - you're such a schmuck! :loyal: But shhh...I did that myself many years ago. Just don't tell anyone! ;)

Glad Peter was able to help you resolve your problem! :)

When I posted my reply, for some reason in the back of my head, I thought the original comment referenced the 'L' button being locked. And when I said I've done the same thing, THAT's what I meant. I never tried this reset though. HOWEVER, one of my D7200 bodies was out in a snowstorm, and the shutter actuation button no longer will auto focus. But when the body is set to BBF, it auto focuses without any issues. And the shutter actuation button works flawlessly to take a photo. So this is something I want to try, too. :encouragement:

Peter7100

When I posted my reply, for some reason in the back of my head, I thought the original comment referenced the 'L' button being locked. And when I said I've done the same thing, THAT's what I meant. I never tried this reset though. HOWEVER, one of my D7200 bodies was out in a snowstorm, and the shutter actuation button no longer will auto focus. But when the body is set to BBF, it auto focuses without any issues. And the shutter actuation button works flawlessly to take a photo. So this is something I want to try, too. :encouragement:

I getting concerned that the camera repair shops might take out a contract to wipe me out :highly_amused:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

This happened to my first D7200 that has been out of warranty, and I held off on sending it in for repair. It's been sitting unused for many, many months. I pulled it out, and followed the instructions exactly. Then I went out and started shooting. And guess what? My battery died. :shame: Yes, it did.

BUT...when I switched the AF to the shutter button, it worked flawlessly for those few shutter actuations. Of course, I wanted to be sure so I pulled out a battery from my D750 and tried again. YES!!! The AF works flawlessly when using the shutter button to focus as well as when it's in BBF.

@Peter7100 - you're the man! Woot! :cool: Thank you! :heart:

All along I expected that water got inside the shutter actuation button causing corrosion. Apparently not. :)

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This happened to my first D7200 that has been out of warranty, and I held off on sending it in for repair. It's been sitting unused for many, many months. I pulled it out, and followed the instructions exactly. Then I went out and started shooting. And guess what? My battery died. :shame: Yes, it did.

BUT...when I switched the AF to the shutter button, it worked flawlessly for those few shutter actuations. Of course, I wanted to be sure so I pulled out a battery from my D750 and tried again. YES!!! The AF works flawlessly when using the shutter button to focus as well as when it's in BBF.

@Peter7100 - you're the man! Woot! :cool: Thank you! :heart:

All along I expected that water got inside the shutter actuation button causing corrosion. Apparently not. :)

I set up a TIP for future reference, but can't change the heading "Is she dead, Jim?" - https://nikonites.com/photography-q-and-a/45078-tip-attached-lens-wont-autofocus.html

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I just did this on my D500 - although I have no idea whether or not this process will correct other issues. At least one month ago, I did the AF Fine Tuning with my D500, 1.7x TC, and both of my 300mm lenses. During the tuning process, I switched from AF-C to AF-S. The other day I noticed my D500 was in AF-S so I changed it. I thought it was odd because I'm pretty sure I remember hearing the AF of any lenses on this body while using BBF. BUT I figured maybe I forgot to switch back to AF-C after I did the AF Fine Tuning.

So this afternoon I saw a few juvenile eagles flying high up in the sky. Took quite a few images before I realized I didn't hear the lens continually focusing while in BBF. Once again my D500 was in AF-S. :mad: Now I"m wondering if my refurbished 1.7x TC caused some type of electrical problem. It wasn't until I started using this 1.7x TC that my AF issues started with both my 300mm f/4 PF and 300mm f/4 AF-S lenses.

So I pressed the button to the lower left of the lens, scrolled the rear wheel, and watched the top display. Not only did it switch between AF-C and AF-S, the front values changed between Dymanic, Group, Single Point, etc. :sorrow: Seriously...like what the heck? :confused: Those values for Dynamic, Group, 3D, Single Point aren't supposed to change unless that button is pressed along with scrolling the FRONT wheel. But BOTH values toggled thru various options at the same time while scrolling the rear wheel.

So I played around changing from the front wheel to the back while pressing that button (to the lower left of the lens), and everything seemed to be fine. But as a precaution, I removed the cards and battery and did the shutter button reset. I've turned the body on and off, and so far everything looks fine. Of course I only had my 300mm f/4 AF-S lens on - no TC at all. So I will keep watch and see if using a TC (I also have the 1.4x that I've been using lately) causes any further issues.

Fred Kingston

Cindy... There's a menu button for that setting. It's about how the buttons work... F6 under the Controls submenu... 1. require the button to just be pressed and the sub-command wheels cause the options to change 2. The other option is you have to HOLD the button for the sub-command dials to cause the options to change.