irritating Picture modes on Cheaper DSLR's

Now I have a challenge for all the ones posting in the thread. Pick a scene mode this week and shoot at least one photo using it and post here with the EXiF data and see if it did anything out of the norm. Shoot the same shot in AUTO and PROGRAM and note the differences. If it works reasonably well it would be a good learning lesson for the newbies Ween them off of auto and a step to the other modes like A and S and M

Dawg Pics

Now I have a challenge for all the ones posting in the thread. Pick a scene mode this week and shoot at least one photo using it and post here with the EXiF data and see if it did anything out of the norm. Shoot the same shot in AUTO and PROGRAM and note the differences. If it works reasonably well it would be a good learning lesson for the newbies Ween them off of auto and a step to the other modes like A and S and M

I was just thinking I need to try some test shots to see what happens in different light for the same mode. Sounds like a project.

weebee

I like some of the scene modes on the J5. But other then perhaps Macro, I tend not use the scene modes on the 7100.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Switch from AUTO to, say, Landscape, all it does is change the Picture Control to Landscape. Nothing more.

ETA: I had to spend some time looking it up, but here's the chart I made back when I had my D7000:

SceneModes.jpg

Sparky, did you learn by using these program modes? Or...I just gotta say it...did you just have too much time on your hands? :beguiled: Figuring all of this out must have taken a great deal of time. In all seriousness, it's a good resource for newbies to help learn HOW and WHY certain settings work on DSLR's. Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Danno

What a waste it is to get angry over something like this. Life is far tooooo short. Feel kinda sorry for folks that hold on to negative passions. I had a few of those t-shirts and I burned um.

480sparky

Sparky, did you learn by using these program modes? Or...I just gotta say it...did you just have too much time on your hands? :beguiled: Figuring all of this out must have taken a great deal of time. In all seriousness, it's a good resource for newbies to help learn HOW and WHY certain settings work on DSLR's. Thanks for sharing. :cool:

I wanted to know exactly what those modes did, so I just set the camera down on the desk, took a shot with each mode, then loaded them onto the computer and studied the EXIF data for each. I was surprised how little each one actually did. I was expecting more changes, and much more aggressive changes.

It took far longer to make up the chart than it did to extract the data.

Keep in mind, this is for a D7000. Other models may have different changes.

crashton

My take on these scene modes is that they are purely a selling tool. It's a way to get new folks into Nikon DSLR cameras. The sales pitch is you don't need to learn anything, there is a mode for whatever you want.

The fact that those modes are there has never bothered me. I never used them. The cameras with those modes are fine picture machines & can do a lot more than those modes suggest.

aroy

My take on these scene modes is that they are purely a selling tool. It's a way to get new folks into Nikon DSLR cameras. The sales pitch is you don't need to learn anything, there is a mode for whatever you want.

The fact that those modes are there has never bothered me. I never used them. The cameras with those modes are fine picture machines & can do a lot more than those modes suggest.

Even I never use them. I wonder why OP had such a reaction, as there are always modes and features in most of electronic devices that are rarely used, but that never prevented the buyers from getting them or being irritated to this extent. As far as I am concerned, I can figure out only a few functions in today's remote controls, I use what I can figure out and ignore the other (hundred ???) options.

allend

Agh, scrolling with phone app allows for much too easy "thanks" reply with fat thumbs and seemingly no way to retract it. Oh well, just a random, not necessarily agreeable thanks to the OP.

Hastily two thumb typed

crashton

No idea why the OP was bothered so much??? He obviously doesn't know the secret, P mode is for professional results. I'm done here, have to get on with life. :p

480sparky

No idea why the OP was bothered so much??? He obviously doesn't know the secret, P mode is for professional results. I'm done here, have to get on with life. :p

Actually, the real secret is..........................

................if you don't like them, don't use them............................

...............................................;)