Impressive high ISO performance

TL Robinson

Would love to see a few D500 vs D750 comparisons at 6400 ISO. I get plenty of shutter speed at overcast days for BIF shots. If the D500 matches it, I'm not going to be happy.

Thanks for doing these comparisons. We appreciate your time. You could throw in a few RAW files as well if you don't mind.:)

I can do that - give me a few - I just finished doing 500, 7100, and 750 @25600 (750 both FF and DX mode) Going to upload those then I'll do the 6400 ISOs as well...can I attach NEF's to posts?

@ryan20fun TBH I've never done a 100% crop so not quite sure how to do it... ;-) I just crop where I need to. :)

TL Robinson

Ok these are all shot on a tripod, ISO 25600 (Native on D500, Hi02 on D7100, Hi01 on D750 in both FF and DX):

D500:

500_25600.jpg

D7100:

7100_25600.jpg

D750 (DX):

750_25600-DX.jpg

D750 (FF):

750_25600-FF.jpg

Blacktop

I can do that - give me a few - I just finished doing 500, 7100, and 750 @25600 (750 both FF and DX mode) Going to upload those then I'll do the 6400 ISOs as well...can I attach NEF's to posts?

@ryan20fun TBH I've never done a 100% crop so not quite sure how to do it... ;-) I just crop where I need to. :)

Thanks, but no rush.
No on the NEF. If you can upload to a dropbox or a similar hosting site, then we could download the link..
It is hard to tell differences with small jpegs. Your 500 vs 7100 ISO 6400 shot looked pretty much the same noise wise.

TL Robinson

If you cant do the NEF, you could put it on Flickr full rez with NO NR please.

That'd be easier probably - I don't really do drop box. To note - none of these are processed past export to jpg in light room - and all NR in camera is turned off. So these are what you see.

TL Robinson

Thanks, but no rush.
No on the NEF. If you can upload to a dropbox or a similar hosting site, then we could download the link..
It is hard to tell differences with small jpegs. Your 500 vs 7100 ISO 6400 shot looked pretty much the same noise wise.

And already done wrt the 6400 shots - I still had everything right in front of me so easy stuff.... :D

TL Robinson

I'm curious to hear your conclusions on this whole comparison thing you just did.

...and...to answer that - I think in terms of ISO performance I think all things considered, there isn't a huge difference...I think the D500 overall is better in terms of color separation at higher ISO's - more grain .vs splotchy - but you really have to dig into the image to see where that comes into play.

Where the D500 beats out the other two is the AF systems ability to lock and stay locked in lower light along with the sheer speed of the camera in terms of fps and buffer. Those alone in a live music venue are huge pluses for me. If I can get usable images over 6400 that's bonus which I am pretty sure is going to be the case coupled with the glass I use for those settings. Time will tell overall but I do believe, for me anyway, it's an improvement all around on the D7100.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Thanks very much for taking the time to do those shots, Tim. On my large monitor, the D500 clearly wins over the D7100, but not by a ton. I agree, though, that the performance in terms of focus and FPS/Buffer are still reason enough to go for the D500 for sports/wildlife/concerts.

TL Robinson

Absolutely no problem...if it helps people decide either way I'm glad to be of service...personally, when Nikon introduces a full frame body based on this tech that isn't the D5 (ie $6500) my D750 will be short lived...

mauckcg

Tinkered with my D500 at 800, 1600, and 3200 ISO. Pretty impressed, low ISO noise is much better controlled than the D7100. Above 1600 it does start to come in more, but it is still much better than I am used to. Not quite as good as the D750 is at higher ISO's, but for a DX camera, it is very impressive. I need to find some night stuff to shoot and see how that goes.

Danno

Maybe it is just me, but I was surprised at how close the D500 and D7200 noise compared in the DP Review link. I expected a bigger improvement and I did not see that much difference. That is JUST MY impression.