High ISO using settings use to use on D5100

egosbar

oh on u1 and 2 i just set iso too 100 , that way you only dial up as far as you need , i like too keep below 800 but will push if needed

Horoscope Fish

I agree the shot looks pretty well exposed over all. I'm assuming it was metered using the default Matrix metering? I think center weighted, or spot, would have been the better choice -- for that particular shot; but matrix still did a very good job balancing it out overall.

bigal1000

You seem to have a tendency to want to be "told" how to do everything. That's not how it works here. Read the manual your camera came with first. All the information you asked already is in there. If there is something you don't understand, or something the manual doesn't cover, THEN ask. We're not here to babysit you or lead you by the hand on every little aspect of operating your camera! We just don't have the time nor the inclination to do so. It's a matter of "we help those who help themselves" first.

Ultra ditto's you hit the nail right on the head with that reply .............

everprentice

I am not here to be babysat as you like to call it, just trying to make sure there is nothing wrong with the camera...
seems a disappointing attitude from a moderator.. and as for you reference to the manual I have read it and continue to do so, plus I have been comparing the manual to the answers.. but thank you to all the other suggestions from fellow users, those are very much appreciated..

I understand where you are coming from @rockypaul, but I understand what @fotojack is trying to say too. No disrespect but what @fotojack is accurate, and I think he means well by telling you that.

When I was new to digital photography I had a lot of questions too. The problem with digital photography is that we have become too equipment dependent. Older film cameras only operated with spot metering, now you've got one that can do three different metering modes. Before you only had one ISO- your film's ISO, now the camera adjusts the ISO for you. Before you had to do exposure calculations manually but now the camera does it for you.

Creating photographs and operating digital cameras have become so synonymous that we have failed to differentiate one from another. I have come to realize that before truly understanding how your camera works, you need to understand photography better.

Good luck!

Billy Y.

Rocky, Auto ISO is usually used only when you have to have a certain shutter speed and aperture setting in manual mode. Otherwise ISO is best set manually to keep the noise down, and give you the best image quality. I use it for action a lot up to 6400 if it is a badly lit subject and I know I need fast shutter speed and want my aperture at f8 (if I know my lens is sharpest when stopped down a bit).

Last edited:

Billy Y.

Because I want to is that all right with you or do I need your permission to post here !!

I'm not always around these forums, when I am I try to post inspiring photos, and if I see a question I know the answer too, or I feel I can help... I do. That is what I feel photography forums are all about. You post what you want, I don't care. You already reinforced Jack's post, then you posted again with your opinion about what camera the OP should use. It isn't helpful, and seems kind of rude IMO.

Last edited: