Help me pick out my new (to me) FX camera.

10 Gauge

@Blacktop I highly recommend the D750. I've been loving it ever since the day I broke the seal on the box. The low light performance is stunning and the ability to take great shots pushing the ISO up too and past 3200 is a huge benefit when lighting isn't cooperating or having to use a lens with a narrow aperture.

grandpaw

Thanks guys. So far the D750 is still the frontrunner. The main reason I was even thinking of the D8XX series is that I could get rid of the D7100 and just use it in DX mode for my bird needs and have just one cam.
But the more I think about it, the D7100 is not a bad cam for birds or BIf shots. The limited buffer never bothered me as I take short bursts anyway with BIF.

Myself , I would never want to have a single camera. I like the idea of having a backup and the ability to have two cameras with diferent lenses on each. Having the ability to have quick access to different lenses and also cut down on the chance of getting dust on my sensor is a big plus in my book.

Horoscope Fish

The reason I have a D750 and not an 800 series is because the D750 does so much so well. in a more convenient overall package. The 800's and above seem a bit more specialized to me whereas the D750, if Master at None, is a true Jack of all Trades. But then for me, it was obvious; I knew the minute I saw the spec's the D750 was the "right" camera for me. I hate to say it "called to me" but that's sort of how it felt. If none of the camera's you're thinking about are doing that for you I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm sure the 800's are fantastic but I would certainly give serious consideration to the D750 if I were you.

Congrats, in advance though, on whatever you decide. Such an exquisite agony, these choices!

singlerosa_RIP

Another 750 vote from a happy 750 user. Got the 750 in April of this year and, for me, it was between the 810 and 750. 750 won and it wasn't because of price. Same basic body layout as my other cams, 6.5 fps (faster than my 600 and 7000), decent file size and the high ISO/low light focusing that I was lacking in my D600.

SkvLTD

Let it go man, just let it go. It ain't going to happen! You will have better luck catching that Unicorn you've been chasing - I think I see it running past right now.

I've seen em in Japan, at least ones I've been chasing. On-topic though, per budget - 600; otherwise 750 if you do low-light and sports more than say, portraiture and studio in which case 810. Really depends on circumstances.

Blacktop

Well, it looks like the D750 has won ou. I was leaning towards it all along, but that D810 kept nudging me as well.

This way I 'll keep the D7100 for birds and a backup.
The only FX lenses I have right now are the 70-300VR and the 50mm 1.8. I'll probably end up getting a 24-120mm in a few months.

mikew_RIP

Well, it looks like the D750 has won ou. I was leaning towards it all along, but that D810 kept nudging me as well.

The only FX lenses I have right now are the 70-300VR and the 50mm 1.8. I'll probably end up getting a 24-120mm in a few months.

Now are you sure :D

Horoscope Fish

I can't imagine you being disappointed with your decision; my D750 never ceases to amaze me. I'll also point out that with two lenses, a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and my Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8, I feel well prepared for just about anything. With an extra 100mm on the long end, you'll be that much better off. I've been tempted by the 24-120mm many times but so far have not been able to identify a need for it.

Congrats in advance... Can't wait to see what you can do with your new purchase!

Blacktop

I can't imagine you being disappointed with your decision; my D750 never ceases to amaze me. I'll also point out that with two lenses, a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and my Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8, I feel well prepared for just about anything. With an extra 100mm on the long end, you'll be that much better off. I've been tempted by the 24-120mm many times but so far have not been able to identify a need for it.

Congrats in advance... Can't wait to see what you can do with your new purchase!

Thanks Fish! You don't shoot much landscape so you don't really need wide side much. I might even get an older AI-S 20mm. I'm gonna have to hit up @STM for some older lens advice soon.

Last edited:

traceyjj

I'm late to the party, but will just say that if the 750 had been around when I was looking, thats the one I would have. Dont get me wrong, I love my D800, and having the extra pixels mean I dont have to fill the frame and have "wiggle room" in my photos, but the size of the files is huge!