Heading to Adorama in NYC, D600 tradeup?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The original shutter in my D600 had the problem as did BOTH replacement shutters (3 total). You'd be better off eyeing the D610 if you want full frame. ;)

eurotrash

Jeez, see yea, that's the type of info I need there.. It seems like a good deal, the 600. Until of course, you have to go through seemingly endless shipping and repairs.

hrphotography

@BackdoorHippie.......the point is how Nikon deal with the problems that arise due to their engineering fault. Refusing to acknowledge the problem is not acceptable....at least to me. and yes after the experience i had, i would not invest in a Nikon system again. And that would be my friendly advice too :)

the other option is......keep buying Nikon products... keep getting taken :D

Nathan Lanni

@BackdoorHippie.......the point is how Nikon deal with the problems that arise due to their engineering fault. Refusing to acknowledge the problem is not acceptable....at least to me. and yes after the experience i had, i would not invest in a Nikon system again. And that would be my friendly advice too :)

the other option is......keep buying Nikon products... keep getting taken :D

I understand how you feel.

Much the contrary of my expectations, my experience with Nikon was just the opposite of yours, but my problem was different - I damaged my camera and it was easily fixed. But the people were easy to deal with and honest. The remarkable thing was they fixed it within 3 business days.

I wouldn't give up on Nikon yet. I feel they continue to give the best value for the money. Is my d7100 a perfect camera - no - I'm disappointed about the image buffer and the lack of Live View video aperture adjustment. But other than those two features, for $1200 it's fantastic camera. By the time I've out grown it (assuming I ever do) who knows what offerings will be out there.

IMHO, I don't think it's over for Nikon regarding the d600. Customer service comes down to the people you deal with.

Last edited:

eurotrash

Dang it my texting skills and gone out the window today.. I do agree about the way Nikon handle that, it was pretty shady to leave people hanging like that, with no resolution reached. In a way I feel that the D 600 is a flop of a camera simply because of the way the situation was handled. It's possible they could have handled the situation better and been more transparent

BackdoorArts

Dang it my texting skills and gone out the window today.. I do agree about the way Nikon handle that, it was pretty shady to leave people hanging like that, with no resolution reached. In a way I feel that the D 600 is a flop of a camera simply because of the way the situation was handled. It's possible they could have handled the situation better and been more transparent

I also suspect that in a pre-internet age the number of people who actually "noticed" the issue on their own, as opposed to willfully looking for it, would have been reduced to such manageable numbers that it might have allowed the camera to survive. I am firmly convinced that many cameras were returned not because spots were seen on photos but because spots were looked for on dust reference photos because people heard there were issues. I shot with spots for months before Nikon acknowledged a potential dust problem and stated they would evaluate and possibly repair cameras, and outside of HDR stuff (which I was doing a lot of) they were barely noticeable unless I had a clear sky. If it had been bottom right instead of top left concentrated it would have been even less noticeable.