Have to upgrade my computer

J-see

Never checked that stuff before. Lightroom 5 open and sitting idle draws about 2GB. Web browsing with 3 open tabs draws under 2GB here. This system has 8Gb memory and does all I need, so far anyway.

My other one has 8Gb and I used LR, PS and anything else all the time. But depending upon what I did in LR or PS, I could suck its resources dry in no time. It would still function but I could watch the progress bar slowly crawl to 100% just like in the good old days.

J-see

Watch out, I'm worse than the Mammon to idolize. ;)

PassMark - AMD A8-7600 APU - Price performance comparison

I can't tell you what to buy or not since that depends on your budget and expectations. If you want to do editing, it'll eat most of your resources regardless what machine you have. This graphics card is an improvement compared to the previous and the AMD also does better. 8Gb mem is at the low side these days but I've been running a PC on that for quite a while and used LR and PS occasionally handling TiFF files closing in at a GB. It slows down with such files, that's unavoidable.

To add; there's always something faster or better but you have to ignore that.

Buy the best you can get within your budget, or the one you are satisfied with, and ignore everything else.

Last edited:

tea2085

J-see

Hard-drives don't matter much; you can always buy external drives for not that much money.

If I had to pick, the i7 for sure, best with 16Gb mem. The other's 32Gb mem is nice but if the processor works at half the speed, double the memory doesn't really make it perform better.

Last edited:

tea2085

J-see; are you trying to say you won't back this computer up with full refund- I'll pay the shipping but will need your address. On a more serious note I ordered 'er up last night before I went to bed. It has already shipped and NJ to NY shouldn't take very long. The one thing I am nervous about is the windows 8. As I said I'm almost 7o and change doesn't come easy!! Paul

Daz

Sorry I missed the reply ! like Bourbon said, sign up for the email on there and when the upgrade is ready you can download it and install it for free, its a step by step process and fairly easy

I was being a little funny with after you have learned windows 8 there will be another upgrade :)