Hark's 2014 Occasional Photos

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I was fascinated with some of the painted murals that were with some of the rides. I didn't see how this firetruck operated so I'm not sure what it does.

14582468752_fb48c9e49e_o.jpg

Fireman mural by *Hark*, on Flickr

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Lots of great photos here.

Thanks, Michael! I am not able to get out to photograph as often as I'd like, but since this fair/carnival is only here for 2 weeks every year, I try to get there. It offers a lot of colors which I like, too. :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This colorful dragon ride caught my eye. I think this ride is for smaller children.

14581398424_09f62b4038_o.jpg

Dragon carnival ride by *Hark*, on Flickr

The photo below is also posted in my thread on 14mm lenses. It was taken with a pre-owned Nikon 14mm AF lens. I really want to figure out how to use such an ultra wide angle lens to its advantage. ;)

14581090832_038e5c8481_o.jpg

Freak Out Carnival Ride by *Hark*, on Flickr

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
nice shots Thor....(I mean hark!)

Thanks, Chris! :) Next year I hope to get there on a night when there are fireworks in the area. Someone said they were on the ferris wheel with about 15 different fireworks displays going off all around (although nothing immediately close to the fair). I think a shot of the ferris wheel with fireworks in the background would be nice.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This was taken with a Nikon 14mm f/2.8 ultra wide about a week-and-a-half ago. I wanted to stop down and capture the sun coming through the branches. Ultra wides are notorious for lens flare; however, I tried to use it to my advantage. I'm not sure if I like the turquoise blob on the lower third of the left-hand side, but I like the rest of the flare. What are your thoughts on the lens flare?

Although I haven't learned HDR, this would have benefited from it. The sun is overblown--would have been nice to tone it down a little. Oh well...live and learn. ;)

14707297213_802a299cee_o.jpg

Tree with Lens Flare by *Hark*, on Flickr

Krs_2007

Interesting shot and I do like it, but I feel the blob pulls your eyes away. But I wonder how quick I would have noticed it without you mentioning it. It's subtle, but once you see it that's it. Funny how that works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Interesting shot and I do like it, but I feel the blob pulls your eyes away. But I wonder how quick I would have noticed it without you mentioning it. It's subtle, but once you see it that's it. Funny how that works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fair enough. Does this look better? In addition to the turquoise spot getting removed, I also removed two blue spots from the sky that were in line with the turquoise spot. There is some motley green in the trees from the flare, but I don't want to attempt fixing it. Of course when I removed the turquoise spot, the fill took some of the motley green and added in even more. Oh well....;)

14501069567_a7b51cccf5_o.jpg

Tree with Lens Flare spot removed by *Hark*, on Flickr

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
After seeing some photos of breathtaking church ceilings, I decided to try out my 14mm ultra wide at church. There are long felt banners hanging on the Sanctuary walls so I hoped to capture the banners on the walls as well as the ceiling. Unfortunately the ceiling isn't high enough to shoot straight up and get the walls, too, so it wouldn't work. :(

Since I was there, I decided to experiment with the lens to see what it could do. I've never had anything this wide before so it was uncharted territory for me. ;) These were simply test shots. Normally when I take photos inside the Sanctuary, I mount my camera on a tripod; however, since I was just playing around to see what type of perspective I could achieve, I didn't bother to remove distracting items before shooting and shot handheld.

After seeing @BackdoorHippie's Chapel photo from Princeton University, I wanted to try out a shot from a similar perspective. Wow! Had I known I'd like the photo so much, I would have removed the fan, piano cover, and microphone and used my tripod. But hey, I will definitely go back and set everything up correctly!

perspective distortion 1.jpg

This next shot was taken from one of the side aisles. Again...had I known how much I'd like it, I would have removed the pencils and pew envelopes to do it right. The little blurb on the lower left is from lens flare. I left it there in case anyone is interested in an ultra wide lens--these types of lenses tend to be more prone to lens flare. The spot can be easily edited out.

perspective distortion 2.jpg

And this last one is a classic shot--in the past I've taken something similar with a longer lens and placed my tripod up on a table (to eliminate aiming the camera upwards). This was just a quick handheld shot. I'm not too fond of the excess amount of pews, and if I try it again, I would stand closer to the front. And another small spot from lens flare near the lower right--again leaving it in so people can get an idea of shooting with an ultra wide. This too can be easily removed. Overall, I am thrilled with this new way of seeing things through my camera's lens! :)

perspective distortion 3.jpg