Going through DTs !!!!

hrstrat57

Thank again for the guidance!!

Geoff - Here's my real dilemma (or at least the one that is continually banging around in my head); I can afford to get a 7100 body. Used is going to run me about $825-850. If I do go that route, I am extremely limited in any lens purchase for me to even use on that body. Certainly wouldn't be getting anything very nice to use.

If I went he route of the 300 or even the 5300; I would have enough for a really nice piece of glass as well. Since the misses does not frequently have the need to take a whole kit for pictures, I'll plan on having access to the kit lenses about 95% of the time. I'm thinking I could then add either a Sigma 150-500 zoom, or a 70-300 and 35 Nikon.

I guess my question is this: am I giving up a tremendous amount between the two; enough to warrant needing to save for a few more months to buy a decent lens to use?

David, did you miss today's discussion regarding the D7100 sale on Nikon USA? See the D7100 sub forum.....it appears the camera is now in your price point, at least until tonight...

I still would go D300 from a reputable seller and a couple bits of glass. But at this price - and it seems like the D7100 is what your heart is set on anyway you might want to jump on the deal . Nothing wrong with dialing a D7100 in with your existing kit glass....heck buy an Nikkor AF 50 D on Craigslist that and a new camera will keep you very busy for quite a while....

Last edited:

dh photography

David, did you miss today's discussion regarding the D7100 sale on Nikon USA? See the D7100 sub forum.....it appears the camera is now in your price point, at least until tonight...

I still would go D300 from a reputable seller and a couple bits of glass. But at this price - and it seems like the D7100 is what your heart is set on anyway you might want to jump on the deal . Nothing wrong with dialing a D7100 in with your existing kit glass....heck buy an Nikkor AF 50 D on Craigslist that and a new camera will keep you very busy for quite a while....

I think my heart really is set on the 7100. But of course the sale is today and not NEXT Friday when my 'camera fund approved' bonus check comes!!! And since I'm not waiting months to get a second camera for the household, I'm going to just plan on getting two!!!

I'm going with either a D300 or D5300 now; along with a piece of glass or two, then save up for when the 7200 comes out this fall and the 7100 prices come down even farther. Then I can either sell off the D3200 body to fund more glass or just gift it to family ..... likely sell. :)

dh photography

The way I justify every Digital purchase regardless of cost is: The film is virtually free.:)

If you could have any camera outfit you wanted, what would it be? The next purchase needs to lead to that outfit, even if it takes 5-10 years to get That Outfit.

My 2 bits.

Very good advice! :)

hrstrat57

I think my heart really is set on the 7100. But of course the sale is today and not NEXT Friday when my 'camera fund approved' bonus check comes!!! And since I'm not waiting months to get a second camera for the household, I'm going to just plan on getting two!!!

I'm going with either a D300 or D5300 now; along with a piece of glass or two, then save up for when the 7200 comes out this fall and the 7100 prices come down even farther. Then I can either sell off the D3200 body to fund more glass or just gift it to family ..... likely sell. :)

I know many here vehemently disagree but trust me the D300 is the absolute bees knees!!! The kit lenses we both have just absolutely pop with it too. I promise you will not be disappointed.

I picked it up from Hunt Photo and it has been bombproof....clerk pretty much threw in the Nikkor AF 50 1.4 D which is amazing. Picked up a 35-70D f 2.8 from a local wedding photographer who thought it was too old school and couldn't be bothered learning it for $200....since I go back to a 1959 Nikon F with no light meter it is not old school for me ha ha it = it is flat out amazing.

I am loving every bit of the kit in my sig and can't wait to add the D700 and I am tracking a sweet deal from a local pro on a Nikon 70-200 VR 2.8 ( he is upgrading to a VR II)

You can probably do a D300 and a Nikkor 50 D AF for $500 easy.....KEH is stocked up on D300 at the moment pretty good I think. The D300 and your D3200 will hold you for quite a bit methinks!

Good luck.

Last edited:

dh photography

Blew both my ideas out of the water. Just pulled the trigger on a D7000/70-300 combo with less than 5k shutter count. For just over $500, I don't think I'll have any regrets!! :)