EXIM Playback Shooting Data

480sparky

Irfanview menu Image - Information - Exif. Shows Exif.

And then, a bonus, if your image Exif contains GPS location (cell phones typically do), there will be a button there show location on Google maps.

My IrfanView only shows image data..... pixel size and such. It displays an error message when I click on the EXIF option.

WayneF

I dunno then. What error message? What does it say is wrong?

I never had any issue with Irfanview. If the image file has no Exif in it, the Exif button just shows file name, but it does not fail. You might try to reload an updated version? I have 4.41, and 4.42 is available now.

WayneF

I says there's a plug-in missing. I've tried updating it and looking for this un-named plug-in to no avail.

IrfanView PlugIns

Search that page for Exif... down at JPG_Transform, it mentions JPG Exif. I don't know if it is required, but why not try. The Lossless Rotate it also offers is worth the price. :)

Note that the plugin link at the top of that page gets it all.

r00ster

Wayne;

Irfanview menu Image - Information - Exif. Shows Exif.

Bingo! It took me a while to realize I first had to copy an image into an infanview folder for the Information menu item to become clickable onable. It was greyed out before and mistook it to be the heading of the menu list instead of an actual entry.

Let all the people say: Doh

The program does capture the lens info I was hoping to get, and a bit more.

Much thanks to both you and Paul.

rod

Not sure how to lable the thread as Resoved or Closed as is the way with other forums of my customary use.

Last edited:

WayneF

Wayne;

Bingo! It took me a while to realize I first had to copy an image into an infanview folder for the Information menu item to become clickable onable. It was greyed out before and mistook it to be the heading of the menu list instead of an actual entry.

Great, glad you got it going. Not sure I understand your procedure, but yes, the image does have to be opened from a disk file. If for example, if just pasted into the program from clipboard, there is no Exif in that screen copy. But if opened from a disk file, the Exif is retained.

r00ster

Wayne;

Not sure I understand your procedure,

Ha... I was following your procedure, or so I thought. Let me clarify.

When I began to explore the infanview download, the menu you alluded to had Information at the top. It was greyed out and not clickable because no pic had been loaded into an Infanview file. I mistook to this to mean it was the heading of the the menu list. In hindsight, this should have been obvious. Once I did copy a pic into a new file in the Infanview folder, the InfanView Menu Information entry ceased to be greyed out and clickable, just like you said.

rod

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Wayne;

Ha... I was following your procedure, or so I thought. Let me clarify.

When I began to explore the infanview download, the menu you alluded to had Information at the top. It was greyed out and not clickable because no pic had been loaded into an Infanview file. I mistook to this to mean it was the heading of the the menu list. In hindsight, this should have been obvious. Once I did copy a pic into a new file in the Infanview folder, the InfanView Menu Information entry ceased to be greyed out and clickable, just like you said.

rod
You seem to be going about this the hard way.

You don't need to Copy the file into IRFanview to see the EXIF data. You can: 1) Associate .JPG with the application so double-clicking on a .JPG will automatically open the file in the application. You do that by right-clicking on a JPG, clicking on "Open With", choosing "Default Application" from the menu and then selecting IRFanfiew from that menu, or 2) You open IRFanview, click on File -> Open and then navigate to the .JPG you want to view/see the EXIF data for.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Most likely the information IS being captured. It's that the Windows context menu is not displaying it.

There are several applications that will let you see this information. One of them is IRFanview, a free image viewer/editor.

Another free application that will get the job done (on JPG's only) would be Acute EXIF Viewer.

Here's the EXIF data, as captured by IRFanview, for the exact some photo as above (some info has been redacted):

Yes, I am resurrecting an old thread. I am trying to find the serial number of a lens used for images. Is there a way to do this? I downloaded IRFanview, but the info doesn't show up in the EXIF. Any suggestions?

480sparky

Yes, I am resurrecting an old thread. I am trying to find the serial number of a lens used for images. Is there a way to do this? I downloaded IRFanview, but the info doesn't show up in the EXIF. Any suggestions?

I don't think any manufacturer does that. Nikon records the camera SN, but not the lens.

Horoscope Fish

I'm thinking it's highly unlikely you're going to find that information. I've never seen that information show up in EXIF data and, frankly, I'd be pretty surprised if it was a part of the data.

Of course I could be wrong but I'll bet you a Diet Dr. Pepper I'm right on this.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm thinking it's highly unlikely you're going to find that information. I've never seen that information show up in EXIF data and, frankly, I'd be pretty surprised if it was a part of the data.

Of course I could be wrong but I'll bet you a Diet Dr. Pepper I'm right on this.

You may very well be correct, Paul. In your original post, you X'd out some of the info. Since the lens' serial number was X'd out, I didn't know if you did that, or if the EXIF viewer couldn't read it. Thanks for your help!