Ethics Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browncoat

ohkphoto brings up some excellent points, and I think they are at the very heart of the matter.

I agree with your definition of a pro photographer: one who earns 50% or more of their income from selling services. It has nothing to do with gear, skills, or having a DBA. If you're a professional anything, you're paid for what you do. Just like with pro athletes, some are paid more because their skill sets are more highly valued or it is dictated by the local economy. For example, a small town studio may rake in more income because they are the only place around. The same photographer in a bigger city might not even be able to start a business due to the level of competition.

To get paid to do what you love and start a small business is part of the American Dream for many people. Someone can be the world's best photographer and the world's worst businessman at the same time. It's a dangerous combo, and I see a lot of it. It's one thing to run a hardware or grocery store, and quite something else when the product you sell is driven by creativity, vision and passion. So many seem to forget that regardless of how they feel about the product they're offering, that alone doesn't pay the bills. It only matters what paying clients think and are willing to pay.

Browncoat

This course of this thread has been altered. The original topic has been addressed, and is now considered closed. As we have drifted off into other avenues, feel free to visit the new discussion.

pjl

Ahhh, 'ethics'; vs. 'morals'.
Sets of 'rules & regs' vs. 'personal concepts of right/wrong'.

Always good for a spirited debate that can go many pages.

Me?
I'd go speak to the 'pro' and work out how I could get shots I wanted with OUT distacting from his.
Well before the shoot takes place, if possible.
If he says 'No prob', it's good to go. If not, you get to figure out how to make it work after the fact.

Here's an 'ethical/moral' story for y'allz:
My next door neighbor's son was getting married at the end of June.
VERY shoestring budget.
I got invited.
The bride's parents had already booked a 'friend' to take pics.
I told his mom I'd bring my camera...juuuuuust in case...no charge; freebies to save the day in case the photog wasn't cutting it...

4 hour drive to the wedding; I meet the bride's parents.
They introduce me to the 'pro'.
YIKES!!!!
Older point & shoot with the on-camera flash. Ruhh Rohhh...
Hasn't taken many wedding pics, but he's gonna do his best...
2 pm wedding at Lover's Point in Monterey, CA...facing the sun...overcast day...gahhhh!
Wedding photographer's nightmare. (My own nightmare, anyway!)

I grabbed my gear bag and went to work.
Basically took over the shoot in the most amicable way I could.
I've shot 3 weddings, mainly as a second/candid dude, so I know where to go.
The friend understood and was quite thankful I was there.

I certainly ain't near good enough to shoot weddings as a pro but I pulled out some nice shots that saved the day for the new couple...and the parents...

Was it 'ethical'?
Dunno. No 'rules and regs' to look at at the time.
Was it 'moral' to do such a thing?
Hell yeah!!!
In my own 'morals' book.

Bride/groom?
Happy with how it turned out. VERY grateful I showed up.
Parents?
Ecstatic with my shots, compared to the friend's.
Hired friend?
Very cool with the whole deal. Happy to learn from me.
He got more ideas on 'standard wedding shots' and 'cute couple' shots.

I had fun; nice drive, nice area, happy wedding, a good meal, and I tossed some decent shots their way in the bargain!

Status
Not open for further replies.