effects and scenes - anybody use?

J-see

I tried some effects a couple of time when I first got the D3300 but in the end, most effects you can also do afterwards by applying filters in Photoshop or any other with the advantage that if you don't like it, you can undo.

On the D750 I tried multiple exposure only but it didn't have the options I hoped it had.

I'm of the opinion that any effect that is permanent and could also be done afterwards in post, should be done afterwards.

MartinCornwall

I tried the sunset mode on my D7000 when I first got it. It made the sunset look awful, totally the wrong colours. That was the only time I delved into the scene modes.

paul04

I did try the miniature effect on my d7100, not sure I got it right.

1446small.jpg

paul04

All I could see what it did, it blurred the top and bottom of the picture, and left the middle of the picture sharp.

Maybe the flowers I picked were not the best subject to test it on.

Jim_Y

Wouldn't it be great if the manual had a good description of exactly what the effect did, and how it did it?? The manual just says, "trust me"! :)

Sandpatch

I don't use them often because I forget they're there, but in the right location the miniaturization function can be fun. Shot these from a lighthouse several days ago.

2019-09-22 001 Tybee Island GA Miniaturized - for upload.jpg

2019-09-22 002 Tybee Island GA Miniaturized - for upload.jpg

carguy

Just wondering if anybody actually uses the pre-sets of the camera called "Effect" and "Scenes"? Are they only for point-and-shoot photographers, or is there a use for the more serious photographer? Just curious?

Aperture Priority or Manual here.

dachshund

Never used them much until I took a look at them in “live” view. You can actually see what they do. Everyone else was probably aware of this, but I’m an old film camera guy and don’t use “live” view often.