Do lenses hold their values?

mobi

I see that in Amazon, some new lenses are selling at 50% of their original price. So why do people claim that lenses hold their values very well?

BackdoorArts

It is very much a rule when it comes to good glass, but it's not a hard and fast rule. The more available the lens (i.e. the more they've made) the less the resale value. A 70-200mm f2.8 is going to hold onto most of its value, while a 18-105mm DX won't hold the same percentage, even if it's a good, solid lens. Most widely available lenses need to be priced at 2/3 original purchase price for any hope of moving them, even if they're in perfect condition. The law of supply and demand.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I see that in Amazon, some new lenses are selling at 50% of their original price. So why do people claim that lenses hold their values very well?

The kit lenses or your typical consumer grade lenses are very common and don't tend to retain their value.

The more expensive lenses or the more desirable lenses such as the faster primes and f2.8 and f4 lenses tend to retain their value better. 3rd party lenses with the exception of the Zeiss and Voightlander lenses in general does not.

BackdoorArts

The Nikon is listed at ~80% of the price new, Tamron is same new and used. You can't compare to retail price. When lenses get replaced and/or phased out and the manufacturer changes the price, everything changes. "Value" has to do with Current New vs. Current Used, not what you paid for it (though it would be great if things never went on sale 3 months after you buy them). There's been a recent history of new products having their market price drop rather quickly after introduction, so it's the cost of being first on the block.

BTW, except in rare cases, 3rd party lenses like Tamron & Sigma don't hold their value as well as Nikon glass, even for the consumer grade lenses.

BackdoorArts

Buying pre-owned has distinct advantages, but also the disadvantage of paying for service otherwise covered under warranty. It's really a roll of the dice, and helps if you know who you're buying from. But you certainly tend to lose a lot less if you decide to part with the lens.

STM

Some AIS Nikkors, in mint condition, are still selling for premium prices. Others, in less than perfect conditon are still holding their value well, but are more affordable now then they were when they were new, which is a bonus for me!!

Rick M

There is also a difference between Fx and Dx values. Dx lenses are dropping faster, I see the 18-200 at half price often on craigslist frequently. Fx will hold value better as the demand is increasing as Dx drops. As said, kit lenses go for half price because many sell them (like the new 24-85). I think non-kit Nikon Fx lenses hold about 2/3 to 3/4 of their value consistantly. My opinions are what I see in my local market area.

SamSpade1941

I find in my area a lot of people are not interested in the older AF D and AI Nikkor lenses if they are not enthusiasts and I can scoop them up cheaply. I have bought more than a few at bargain prices. Newer AF S lenses even the more common kit lenses command premiums because they are newer are are perceived to be better. I have been trying to shed my DX lenses as I find FX replacements in anticipation of the day I can finally get an FX digital Nikon when they come done in price for that to happen. Most likely in a few more years I will buy someones used D700 or D3 when it is no longer the cool toy.