Did my D5100 run out of film??

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I hope you can get it fixed Marilynne and its not to expensive, in the mean time are you looking at new cameras???

I told Chris I guess that means I'd have to buy a new camera and he didn't say anything. I love my D5100. I have tiny hands and it fits perfectly. I also finally got use to the weight. Not sure if I want another camera.

RockyNH_RIP

Marilynne, this company is an authorized Nikon repair station. I have used them and the service was excellent.

They have an office in Delray. Good luck.

HOME - SPTS

Thanks Ted... I just asked her in another thread if she had a place local to look at it.. Hopefully they can get her up and running quickly.

Pat in NH

AC016

Hope that you get it fixed or get a replacement real soon. Real bummer to have it crap out on you at 38k actuations.

Horoscope Fish

I've not tried this technique but I've heard it can unstick a stuck shutter...

Turn your camera on.
Turn off "VR" if the attached lens supports it.
Put your camera in Manual and set it for a 15 second exposure. All other settings are unimportant.
Take the shot, wait five seconds and open the battery compartment and pop the battery OUT and then quickly back IN.

The idea here is to cause a little bump in the power cycle, during the exposure, to get the shutter to pop free. You may need to repeat the above steps several times to get the shutter unstuck. Like I said, I've not tried this myself but I do have it on reliable authority that this can solve the problem. Good luck!

TedG954

I've not tried this technique but I've heard it can unstick a stuck shutter...

Turn your camera on.
Turn off "VR" if the attached lens supports it.
Put your camera in Manual and set it for a 15 second exposure. All other settings are unimportant.
Take the shot, wait five seconds and open the battery compartment and pop the battery OUT and then quickly back IN.

The idea here is to cause a little bump in the power cycle, during the exposure, to get the shutter to pop free. You may need to repeat the above steps several times to get the shutter unstuck. Like I said, I've not tried this myself but I do have it on reliable authority that this can solve the problem. Good luck!

This process sounds like it's worth a try, or two.

TedG954

Thanks Ted. If you were here, I'd have you look at it, but I'm not waiting until November.

I believe they are an authorized Nikon warranty service shop. And, being in Delray, you won't have to travel to North Miami. When I had sprayed gunk on my D5100 sensor, they cleaned the sensor 6 times to get it 100% clean. I watched and it was 6 times. Service is excellent.

Check them out, and give them a call if the earlier suggested fixes don't work.

Here's the link: HOME - SPTS

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I believe they are an authorized Nikon warranty service shop. And, being in Delray, you won't have to travel to North Miami. When I had sprayed gunk on my D5100 sensor, they cleaned the sensor 6 times to get it 100% clean. I watched and it was 6 times. Service is excellent.

Check them out, and give them a call if the earlier suggested fixes don't work.

Here's the link: HOME - SPTS

Thanks Ted. Pedaling over there shortly.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Thanks Pat. Since it's Friday, I won't know anything until Monday. The Delray office is just a drop off point. They no longer service cameras there. I'm doing fine with my little Coolpix S3100. It feels funny in my hands. It does take some good photos, but it can't take any long distance BIF photos so I told Chris no wetlands until I get my camera back.

RockyNH_RIP

Thanks Pat. Since it's Friday, I won't know anything until Monday. The Delray office is just a drop off point. They no longer service cameras there. I'm doing fine with my little Coolpix S3100. It feels funny in my hands. It does take some good photos, but it can't take any long distance BIF photos so I told Chris no wetlands until I get my camera back.

Ok, keep me posted... as you know, I have a 5100... if yours is only out for a week or so, not much need cuz shipping down and back would eat that up... ... I will watch the thread..

Pat in NH

Deezey

Looks like all those beautiful bird in flight photos you took were too much for it.

This is horrible though. It would kill me since I am not very good at waiting.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Looks like all those beautiful bird in flight photos you took were too much for it.

This is horrible though. It would kill me since I am not very good at waiting.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I just wish it had done it earlier in the week, that way I wouldn't have had to wait the weekend before anything would be done.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Got a call from the clinic. The doc reloaded my D5100 with film after they fixed the mirror. It will be released tomorrow. Can't wait!!