D90: Using The Manual Mode Setting For Dummies

d.caf

Joseph, I just started Photo I class, and this post was the key to getting off on the right foot for class. Thanks for your suggestions, and may I add another thank you for post #20, from Kate. Great ideas, but you guys already knew that.

mickhenso

hi there i am new to these threads, my question is Light meters.--just bought a nikon 300mm AIs manual lens, i require a light meter, any suggestions on what to buy,, thanks

nikonjim

Joseph, what a clear and concise explanation you give! You should be a teacher!!!
My daughter expressed and interest in photography, so before she went to the expense of buying a camera, I gave her my F90 and some film to practice with. She has a couple of books on photography (plus me!) but I'm going to print off your instructions are they are exactly what a beginner needs.
Thanks for that!!
Jim

jkinzel

Excellent thread, very well written, thank you.

One of the subjects I like to photograph are trains and railroad related items. I was forced into using manual mode because when shooting in Auto or P mode, even on a bright sunny day the headlights of an oncoming train would cause the camera to under expose the shot. Sometimes it could be corrected using software, but I'd rather do it right the first time. Now I use M almost exclusively.

LudwigVB

M can sometimes be the most straightforward and easiest mode to use.

Two examples are when using grey card exposure readings and with incident light metering. Once you've set the camera to the ambient light, you can just keep shooting until the light changes.

Another good use for M is when using flash as the only light source.