D800 & wifi

Cowleystjames

I use a WT-5a on both my D800e and D4s. Http mode for controlling the camera via my iPad and image transmission mode for transferring images so the client can see them.
However, the image transmission mode is very slow, so only use that when absolutely necessary.
Is great to be able to control the cameras from the ipad though especially via live view. Problem is the price, although i did buy mine second hand. Eye Fi card is cheaper but very flakey when in tried one and their only good for image transfer.

Scott Murray

I use a WT-5a on both my D800e and D4s. Http mode for controlling the camera via my iPad and image transmission mode for transferring images so the client can see them.
However, the image transmission mode is very slow, so only use that when absolutely necessary.
Is great to be able to control the cameras from the ipad though especially via live view. Problem is the price, although i did buy mine second hand. Eye Fi card is cheaper but very flakey when in tried one and their only good for image transfer.
Have you heard of this product? CamRanger | Wireless DSLR Remote Control | iPad Mac Android PC

BackdoorArts

I'm not about to drop the change required for their WiFi adapter. I have an EyeFi card and have used it very successfully to transfer pics to my iPhone, but I'd never use it to transfer everything. Not worried about control, and when I am I'll use my $60 cable.

rocketman122

I'm not about to drop the change required for their WiFi adapter. I have an EyeFi card and have used it very successfully to transfer pics to my iPhone, but I'd never use it to transfer everything. Not worried about control, and when I am I'll use my $60 cable.

How do you selectively transfer files to your iphone with the eyefi? does it transfer the full size or can you tell it to send a small rez? and how fast can it transfer? just wonder if this is a better option than the nikon wifi module for the D600? whats your experience?

Dont know why the hell nikon charge $700 for the D3 and up camera and a D600 wifi module is $50..Im sure theres better tech inside..but damn $700. thats a lot.
does eyefi make a CF wirelss card? sorry for the questions. just want to get some feedback. cheers.

Roger3006

I have been attempting to connect my D800 via a Wt-4 to my wireless network with no luck. So far, Nikon has been no help. I can connect directly to my desktop but lose my network connection when I do. If I cannot make it work it will be sold and I will continue to use a USB which is a pain.

crycocyon

Just to mention as well with the D800 one would be using the UT-1 as well since the D800 doesn't have the bespoke connector for the WT-5a.

crycocyon

UT-1-Mounted.jpg

BackdoorArts

How do you selectively transfer files to your iphone with the eyefi? does it transfer the full size or can you tell it to send a small rez? and how fast can it transfer? just wonder if this is a better option than the nikon wifi module for the D600? whats your experience?

Dont know why the hell nikon charge $700 for the D3 and up camera and a D600 wifi module is $50..Im sure theres better tech inside..but damn $700. thats a lot.
does eyefi make a CF wirelss card? sorry for the questions. just want to get some feedback. cheers.

Just an SD card, no CF. It'll transfer any file you want, but I go with smaller JPEG's to the iPhone as anything else is wasted. There are different ways to do it, but I prefer to selectively send just the ones I want, which is done by first "locking" the photos I want to send on the camera, opening the connection and then transfer using the app on the iPhone. The quirkiest part is that you often have to waste a shot on the camera to reactivate the card so the phone can connect. Once you get used to it it's not too bad.

Cowleystjames

Yes the wt-5 (and UT-1) is a serious amount of money, but it works and is damned fast. However, if I want to copy images, especially raw, to my PC, I'd either take the card out and put in a reader or use USB 3 on the D800e or Ethernet on the D4s.
No way I'd transfer using the WT-5, it isn't as quick. I only use it for showing images on my ipad to clients.

rocketman122

Just an SD card, no CF. It'll transfer any file you want, but I go with smaller JPEG's to the iPhone as anything else is wasted. There are different ways to do it, but I prefer to selectively send just the ones I want, which is done by first "locking" the photos I want to send on the camera, opening the connection and then transfer using the app on the iPhone. The quirkiest part is that you often have to waste a shot on the camera to reactivate the card so the phone can connect. Once you get used to it it's not too bad.

Nice, looks like something ill have to get just to have JIC. and its not expensive.thanks for your feedback. locking, you mean the key button? I dont understand what you mean in the last snetence but ill figure it when ill get it. wonder why no fc eyefi

BackdoorArts

Nice, looks like something ill have to get just to have JIC. and its not expensive.thanks for your feedback. locking, you mean the key button? I dont understand what you mean in the last snetence but ill figure it when ill get it. wonder why no fc eyefi

Yes, the key button.

The card does not broadcast constantly, only for a preset period of time a) beginning when the shutter actuates, and b) only if there's something to transfer. Once it stops broadcasting your device will lose the wireless connection and you need to get that reconnected again, which sometimes means taking a nonsense picture just to activate the card again.

rocketman122

Yes, the key button.

The card does not broadcast constantly, only for a preset period of time a) beginning when the shutter actuates, and b) only if there's something to transfer. Once it stops broadcasting your device will lose the wireless connection and you need to get that reconnected again, which sometimes means taking a nonsense picture just to activate the card again.

ok, very clear now. bravo. thank you for that.