D750 Sharpness and "tickling" sound

Horoscope Fish

Dear all!!!

Thanks for your answers and sorry for late reply. Yesterday I grabbed all my stuff and went to take some picture with my daughter and nephew. It was a great sunny day and I could use low ISO and fast shutter speed. I have to say that 85mm IS sharp, even at 1.8.

I zoomed into the eye and still at 800% is pretty good. This is of course no objective measure of sharpness, it’s more a “practical” one.
I really feel that is a complicate beast to handle, but I’m happy with the result in bright or dim light.

Regarding the tripod… is a “cheap-frotto” paid 24$

So, possibly that is the problem. I’ll have to upgrade it soon or later.
I’ll do other experiments, anyway… but considering the result, I’m really more relaxed!!!
Well it certainly sounds like this is resolved, then. Long exposures on a $24 tripod is a well-proven recipe for motion blur.

I'm glad to hear you were getting good shots the other day and hopefully you will continue enjoying your camera.

Federico-Nov

She was using D3300 <3
DSC_0835_LIGHT.jpg

As always we are never told if the shots are JPEG or RAW..if they are JPEG you need the sharp at +7 to make them valid.
When doing fine focus adjust its never a good idea to do it wide open as most lenses are bad wide open and you cannot see anything sharp..try f 5.6 .

If its motion blurr then just use flash for your FFA AF-S of course

Federico-Nov

JPG, cropped from raw.
85mm at 4,9 ft (1.5 mt)
With crappy tripod but speedlight and 1/200 SS, f/8 and ISO100
Looks razor sharp to me, considering that those are tiny millimiters...
Amazing.
Thanks for suggestions!!!

DSC_0894_LIGHT.JPGDSC_0894.jpg

Last edited:

Federico-Nov

Dear all... I casually discovered the origin of the "ghost" issue... Is not the tripod...

Mirror slap or shutter shock... This explain the vertical motion blur that create two images.
I did some test with hand held camera and when i use viewfinder I get motion blur. When I use live view (mirror up) the image is sharper.
This is quite visible up to 1/80 I'd say and even with a 35mm.

both 35 mm / ISO 100 / f10 / 1/50
Viewfinder vs live view
(the bigger text is around 4 millimiters)
DSC_4400.jpgDSC_4402.jpg

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
As always we are never told if the shots are JPEG or RAW..if they are JPEG you need the sharp at +7 to make them valid.
When doing fine focus adjust its never a good idea to do it wide open as most lenses are bad wide open and you cannot see anything sharp..try f 5.6 .

If its motion blurr then just use flash for your FFA AF-S of course
Sorry to disagree but for focus calibration, the lens should be as open as possible. When you close the aperture, you increase the depth of field, making the precise focus harder to detect.

While it's true that most lenses will not be at their sharpest when fully open, it's easier to determine where exactly the focus was made when fully open.

But then I've been proven wrong often enough. If you don't believe me, just ask my better half. :)

Sorry to disagree but for focus calibration, the lens should be as open as possible. When you close the aperture, you increase the depth of field, making the precise focus harder to detect.

While it's true that most lenses will not be at their sharpest when fully open, it's easier to determine where exactly the focus was made when fully open.

But then I've been proven wrong often enough. If you don't believe me, just ask my better half. :)

He has been banned again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk