D7100 as a first dslr

Siddhartha Basu

The weakest point of D7100 is its 'buffer memory' and the Expeed 3 processor..as a result D7100 cannot record 24MP RAW image files immediately in 'Brush (Rapid) Mode'. Sometimes, this may be a hindrance to wild life photography .. Considering this the new release D610 may be your choice ...

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I bought the D5100 first, and if I had to do it all again, I would have read up more, and just bought the D7100 or a full frame camera. Sure, I learned the basics with the D5100, but I could have just as easily learned the basics with the D7100, and saved myself some money. That money could have been spent on one of the Nikon's Trinity of lenses that I'd love to have right now, but can't afford at the moment. My advice is to skip that "intro" phase of learning on a beginners camera (and worry about trying to sell it later) and save that gold for some good glass with a great camera body to back it up. Now Nikon would prefer you bought something like the D3200 and THEN a year later drop some more cash on a D7100. Not only that, but you're going to have to buy a Nikon flash unit. I bought the SB-910 so I'm all set for the rest of my hobby days for shooting with Nikon. Hope this helps your decision making.

Blacktop

I bought the D5100 first, and if I had to do it all again, I would have read up more, and just bought the D7100 or a full frame camera. Sure, I learned the basics with the D5100, but I could have just as easily learned the basics with the D7100, and saved myself some money. That money could have been spent on one of the Nikon's Trinity of lenses that I'd love to have right now, but can't afford at the moment. My advice is to skip that "intro" phase of learning on a beginners camera (and worry about trying to sell it later) and save that gold for some good glass with a great camera body to back it up. Now Nikon would prefer you bought something like the D3200 and THEN a year later drop some more cash on a D7100. Not only that, but you're going to have to buy a Nikon flash unit. I bought the SB-910 so I'm all set for the rest of my hobby days for shooting with Nikon. Hope this helps your decision making.

Pretty much agree with everything you're saying.
After 2 months of owning the D3100 I'm constantly looking at the refurb deals on the 7100 and the 7000, knowing full well that I can't afford one right now.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have went with the 7000 0r the 7100 the first time around.

Vixen

No reason you shouldn't get a D7100. Thousands of people have them so they cannot be too hard to use. Even I have one :D

Sapy

Thanks everyone. I am for some time now happy owner of d7100 and really happy with my purchase. D800 is different league and over my had for now, but I am really happy with d7100 so thank you one again for your input!

Nero

Pretty much agree with everything you're saying.
After 2 months of owning the D3100 I'm constantly looking at the refurb deals on the 7100 and the 7000, knowing full well that I can't afford one right now.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have went with the 7000 0r the 7100 the first time around.
Same here.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I have an 18-140 while far from top shelf,I must say it is the best kit lens I have seen and used in a long time.........

I bought my 7100 with the same lens....great all around lens...but now I'm overlapping my distances since I had the 55-300 mm from when I first bought the D5100.....might have to sell it, or just keep it for the extra ummmpppphhhh. lol

Sapy

I am quite happy with my 18-105mm kit lens as a walkaround lens, but nevertheless made a decission to invest in 35mm 1.8G. Really nice lens consider the price.

NealB

I just purchased a D7100 as my first DSLR a couple weeks ago. Yes there is a huge learning curve compared to some other cameras but the results you get from the D7100 more than make up for the learning curve. The learning curve just looks overwhelming for a couple days and then it settles in to being a fun adventure. I am pleased with the 18-140 so far and have not spent much time yet with the other lens I purchased.

NealB

What other lens did you buy?
Sorry for the delay in responding but i am easily distracted by work.
I had nothing so in the heat of moment I just went for it. I did have money saved for the purchase so I did not put it on a credit card.
1. 70-300mm 1.4.5-5.6G ED/YR Nikon
2. 18-140mm 1.3.5-5.6GED DX/VR Nikon which was part of the camera kit.
3. AF-S 35mm 1.1.8G DX Nikon
4. AF-S 50mm 1:1.8 G Nikon
5. AF-S 14-24mm f2.8 f/2.8G Nikon
Nikon SB-700 Speedlight (My choice)
Nikon EN-EL15 second battery (My choice)
Dolica LX600BB502DS 60" Tripod (My choice)
Lens cleaning items
Kit case
LowPro Case (My choice)
Nikon WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter (My Choice)
Nikon Extended service coverage
Nikon GP-1A GPS (My choice)
Nikon ML-L3 Wireless remote (My choice)
Neal

Pebbleheed

I'm on my 5th camera now and I wish I'd just got the D7100 from the start. It does everything I want and it's been an expensive upgrade path each time.

If you want the lower spec model for saving money fair enough, but don't be put off the D7100 based on it having more features and being aimed at a more experienced type of photographer. It's not hard to learn how to use it, the features are ridiculously useful and you'll save money buying one from the start if you intend to upgrade in the future anyway.

It won't harm your photography to buy what you want now rather than getting something lower spec first.

My photography has actually benefitted from owning the D7100 because I've started to understand the basics a lot more since I got it. It's easier to access the settings and as such I change them more often and understand how they affect my shots. I can't remember the last time I reached for auto or P mode since getting the D7100. I think in some ways it makes photography easier.