D7100 and Tam 150-600 problem

mikew_RIP

I would say try another lens...

Yes i will try that as most of the things point to the lens but i cant see the green write light staying on being a lens thing,i know if the buffer was full it would stop me taking but i dont think it would stop focus and as the green light was on for a few minuets it looks like a transfer problem with that.

Scott Murray

Yes i will try that as most of the things point to the lens but i cant see the green write light staying on being a lens thing,i know if the buffer was full it would stop me taking but i dont think it would stop focus and as the green light was on for a few minuets it looks like a transfer problem with that.
Turn NR in camera off, turn high ISO nr off, turn anything looking like this off. Not sure it will help but it wont hurt.

mikew_RIP

I think its more the high ISO NR one but all are worth checking.

Just checked and every thing like that is off,just realized its been on the camera for nearly 5 months so have removed it and cleaned the contacts,also swapped the memory card so will give it a run like this for a week.

pk63015

Taking this a step further ime now wondering if its a camera fault,it locked up today and i kept dabbing the shutter button and it came back,again i didnt give it a thought and carried on,a short while later it did it again this time it wouldn't come back.I tried switching the lens to manual focus and taking a picture,tried switching the camera off and on a couple of times,still no luck.Because it played up more this time i had chance to look at the camera more and the green card write light was on and stayed on until i pulled the battery and replaced it,the camera worked perfectly after that.
Ime using a sandisk extreme pro but obviously will use another card for a while to check its not the card.
When i got back today i had two black frames that coincided with the first lock up,there is an image on them but its well underexposed and the exif has recorded the shutter speed but not the F stop so this points it back to a communication error between the lens and camera.

This is one of the black shots as is and after PP.

View attachment 134073

View attachment 134074

I Like the First shot Better :) It looks like one I would Take :) It has Color and Composition :) :)

mikew_RIP

Just an update,took the lens back to my LCS and its going back to Tamron,he said no Nikon ones had been returned but one Canon had gone back with similar problems and it needed a firmware upgrade,got a Nikon 80-400 d on loan to keep me going.

J-see

Just an update,took the lens back to my LCS and its going back to Tamron,he said no Nikon ones had been returned but one Canon had gone back with similar problems and it needed a firmware upgrade,got a Nikon 80-400 d on loan to keep me going.

Keep us up to date. If yours gets a firmware upgrade and it is fixed, maybe all of us would benefit doing the same.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
It locked on me once yesterday. Took it down to 150mm, took a shot and no problems after that.

Did the shop say how long it would take to get your lens back Mike?

mikew_RIP

It locked on me once yesterday. Took it down to 150mm, took a shot and no problems after that.

Did the shop say how long it would take to get your lens back Mike?

He said about two weeks but if its only firmware and they are not too busy i think it could be quicker,i will report back whether they tell me what was wrong or not.

J-see

I'm waiting until the rain stops and I can take the Tam out to see if it occurs more than I remember. It's been a while since I shot the Tam and I need to test if my current approach to exposure works for birding.

I'm curious if it'll occur more now I'll be paying attention. Sometimes you might be seeing things only because you're looking for them.

nikonpup

just an update,took the lens back to my lcs and its going back to tamron,he said no nikon ones had been returned but one canon had gone back with similar problems and it needed a firmware upgrade,got a nikon 80-400 d on loan to keep me going.
it is great to have a lcs to deal with the problem and give you loaner lens, not many around like that. Hope you get it back b 4 the warr expires. :)

J-see

I've been shooting her yesterday and today and no problem. A bit slow at the focus but it worked each time I pushed the button.

zutty

I just got the 'Zooka today and took it out on my D7100 and went to the shore for some test shots. I was a little nervous about the auto-focus issue but it performed perfectly. Here are a couple of examples

D7100 #3 K. Cove #4-Tamron HD1d.jpg

D7100 #3 K. Cove #4-Tamron HD6.jpg

D7100 #3 K. Cove #4-Tamron HD7a.jpg

Rob Bye

That lens has firmware???

I hadn't heard anything about a new firmware update for this particular lens.

The Sigma counterpart to this lens can be connected to a USB dock for firmware updates and adjustments to its programming. When I checked mine for any updates, I found the dock itself needed an update, but the lens was fine. :beguiled: