D7000 stolen

singlerosa_RIP

Well, my step-grandson, the heroin addict, did it again. About 4:30 a.m. yesterday, he got in our house for a quick grab and go and grabbed my Tamrac bag and my notebook computer. Luckily (if there was any luck in this) my D600 is off at Nikon for the free shutter service and he didn't have time to take anything that wasn't in the camera bag (like my 14-24, 70-200 and another bag with more lenses and flashes). Bad news is that the camera bag contained a gripped D7000, 24-70 2.8, 50 1.4D, 85 1.8G, SB-800 and a bunch of accessories (GF Lightsphere, SD cards, etc.) More bad news - not likely to file an insurance claim as they paid out about 500k 4 years ago after same grandson "accidentally" set fire to our house (smoldering cigarette). Potential good news - now I can get a D7100? Or, a 357 or 9mm........(previously outlawed by my better half).

Anyway, provided serial numbers to my local cops and will cruise the pawn shops and Craigslist looking for my gear for the next week or so. Registered the gear on a stolen gear web site and will register the D7000 serial number with a site that scours the interwebs for photos posted on social media and photo sites, scrubbing the metadata for my serial number and date of photo, showing anything taken after the date of theft.

If anyone can suggest anything else I can do, other that continue the heavy drinking in honor of my lost friends, please let me know.

Jim :grief:

PapaST

Yes, Jim, it sounds like you've covered your bases well. Unfortunately it sounds like you've had good practice at it. I feel bad about your bad news and feel worse that the tone of your post makes it clear that this kid needs help and just doesn't seem to be getting it. Good luck Jim.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Good luck Jim, and very sorry to hear about your losses. I hope they recover the items and this creature gets what's coming to him. Hopefully, sooner, rather than later.

Nero

I would get a camera system installed in my house and when he tried it again, you'd have evidence and could get him arrested.

Doesn't get your gear back but could show him to watch who he fucks with.

Deleted

Sorry to hear about your problems. Within the British Isles, the act of being arrested is often the only way that addicts can get the help they need. If it were me, I'd still put in an insurance claim. I don't think you can go any lower in the estimation of the insurance companies now. :(

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Well, my step-grandson, the heroin addict, did it again. About 4:30 a.m. yesterday, he got in our house for a quick grab and go and grabbed my Tamrac bag and my notebook computer. Luckily (if there was any luck in this) my D600 is off at Nikon for the free shutter service and he didn't have time to take anything that wasn't in the camera bag (like my 14-24, 70-200 and another bag with more lenses and flashes). Bad news is that the camera bag contained a gripped D7000, 24-70 2.8, 50 1.4D, 85 1.8G, SB-800 and a bunch of accessories (GF Lightsphere, SD cards, etc.) More bad news - not likely to file an insurance claim as they paid out about 500k 4 years ago after same grandson "accidentally" set fire to our house (smoldering cigarette). Potential good news - now I can get a D7100? Or, a 357 or 9mm........(previously outlawed by my better half).

Jim :grief:

I'm more interested in getting justice and get the culprit called out so that everyone knows his character. Otherwise, if you don't confront him, he would assumed that it was ok. Nothing happened and got away with it.

RocketCowboy

Dang...sorry to hear this Jim. Sounds like you've done everything you can do now, so hopefully the gear turns up and is returned back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill16

I'm also very sorry to hear this my friend. Having a family member or members do this to you is something I can empathize with. Only during my times like this, family pressure kept me from getting anything done about it. I sure feel for ya buddy, and I hope that somehow you can get at least some of your stuff back still in great shape.

Best wishes to ya my friend. :)

traceyjj

Will the insurance cover you? I know the banks and insurance companies refused to help my brother when his step-son stole stuff and raided my brothers kids bank accounts...

I hope you get it sorted and I hope the kid gets the help he obviously needs!

singlerosa_RIP

Great news. One of the pawn shops I called yesterday just called to say they have all my camera gear! My idiot grandson pawned/sold it for $70. Sending my friendly detective over to get it now. Sure glad I called all the pawn shops yesterday with descriptions, serial numbers and my name and phone #. Guess I can stop drinking now.

As for camera systems, no security system in the world can stop a grab and go or a smash and grab, other than a house with no windows or doors. My wife did ask me about an electrified lawn....

Deleted

I'm sorry, but addicts don't usually sell to Pawn shops or Craigslist. They steal because they need money immediately & they will get whatever they can as quick as they can. A $2000 camera could sell for $50 in a bar & that $50 will be spent on drugs within minutes.

Your best option to get the stuff back would be to very quickly find him & offer him $2000 in cash for the equipment no questions asked. :(

Hah, just read your post - fantastic news! Note the stupid amount he got for it.

BackdoorArts

Man, there's all sorts of woe to be found in this thread. While dealing with the stolen stuff is obviously a first class drag, having that kind of family issue has to be difficult on every possible level. I hope you somehow get your stuff back, or at least replaced without cost to you. Moreso, I hope that the kid somehow gets his life straightened out before causing more heartache to your family or damage to himself.