D7000 debate

dukatum

Paranoid me :)
Just realised in Von Wong used a D7000 until selling it recently. Lucky person who ever brought that. It's probably be used on many fire-photo's.

aced19

I have had my D7000 for almost a year now and had been told repeatedly "why did you ever buy a D7000"That it was a crappy release from Nikon.I mean I have not been overly happy with the performance of it at times,But I really think that it is simply user error (as I am very new to photograpghy and may be trying to learn too much too fast) and I may be expecting too much from my lense (18-200 VRII).My camera is being compared to a D5100 and 5200.I read many reviews on the camera and I know of the back focusing issue.but that was really about it.does anyone have any input?thanks :)

Nothing wrong with the camera. It's a great camera.
Sure some has problems, but thats just about every release that comes out (7000, 7100, 600, 800 etc).

Please don't take this as an insult as it's not directed at you.
But most people think because they own a nice camera their pictures are going to have that wow look and magically take outstanding photos every time they pick it up.
It's just not how it works. You have to learn how to use it.
The reason I say that, because I was one of those people.
Boy was I disappointed when I rushed home to view my pictures on the pc. I learned real quick it's not the camera.

Best advice to you or anyone.
Read, read, read. Ask many questions then go
Take 20 - 30 thousand pictures then tell me what you think. Was it the camera?

Englischdude

This was probably said by someone who has something bigger than a D7000

sent from Pandora via bluehead 2014

or by a Canon fanboy

seriously though, although I had some Initial issues with the focus on m d7k which actually required recalibration, i would not part with it now, and as Hobbyist i cant imagine that i will be outgrowing its capabilities in the near or distant future. take such Statements with a pinch of salt and Focus your energy on taking great pics!

dukatum

Nothing wrong with the camera. It's a great camera.
Sure some has problems, but thats just about every release that comes out (7000, 7100, 600, 800 etc).

Please don't take this as an insult as it's not directed at you.
But most people think because they own a nice camera their pictures are going to have that wow look and magically take outstanding photos every time they pick it up.
It's just not how it works. You have to learn how to use it.
The reason I say that, because I was one of those people.
Boy was I disappointed when I rushed home to view my pictures on the pc. I learned real quick it's not the camera.

Best advice to you or anyone.
Read, read, read. Ask many questions then go
Take 20 - 30 thousand pictures then tell me what you think. Was it the camera?

haha I am totally one of those.
One day my wife and I went on holiday. I've never owned anything more than the camera on a mobile phone. She brought along her snappy little point & shot. Being the man I took control of this object with buttons. When we got back we realised the camera was completely rubbish because for some reason all the pictures were "white and washed out and so bright". So we went out and brought her a "proper camera" one of those where you change lenses 'cause they make so much better pictures.

2 months after we brought my wife's Nikon D5100 I was hooked. I had no idea there was actually skill and technique involved in photography, as well as so many exciting buttons. I had learnt quickly that our point & shoot was actually a nifty little thing and it was user (man) error that ruined our holiday snaps.

As a new year prezzy to myself, I found the D7000 and never looked back. I now recognise when to blame the camera (never) and blame myself (always).
My wallet has never felt so light in my pocket before I discovered photography :greedy_dollars:

and yes I am that guy who has to push every button in the elevator!

randyspann

- Just hang a BIG long telephoto on that D7000, black tape over the logo and everyone will be impressed. Problem solved!

Sorry! Guess I'm in a mood today.

aced19

haha I am totally one of those........
When we got back we realised the camera was completely rubbish because for some reason all the pictures were "white and washed out and so bright". So we went out and brought her a "proper camera" one of those where you change lenses 'cause they make so much better pictures.

Even after I thought I learned how to take good pictures. I still always told myself, If I only had a better camera.
I can remember being at a basketball game a few years back, talking to a professional photographer who had a D3s taking pictures. I made the comment to him "Boy if I had that camera, I would take great pictures". He laughed and said gimme your camera I want to show you something. I had a D90 with a 85 1.8 on it. He made some adjustments then snapped a photo of the floor then shot 20 or so pics then snapped the floor again. He said when you get home look at the pics between the floor snaps. Here is my card, call me and tell what you see.
To my surprise his pictures he took(using my camera)blew me away. From that point on I stopped saying "Only if I had"
He taught me a lesson, that it's not the camera.
A few days later I called him and thanked him for the lesson.
He said sometimes the better camera will win. But most of the time its you. Not the camera.

With that said my pictures have improved tremendously.
But I know I still have a lot to learn.

dutchie

Thanks for all the input guys. I do realize that the camera is only a very SMALL part of photography and that you really have to know your $h1# to take really good pictures. I have learned a lot in the last while.it seems that every time I pick up my D7000 I learn something new. It's a long process but it is definitely worth it. My main question was really how much better is the D7000 than the D5100.How can I defend my camera against the 5100.or do I just say BITE ME.LOL thanks again for all the feed back. Cheers!

co2jae

If you find yourself in an environment where you feel a need to defend what you have as a measure of status, then you are in the wrong environment. Leave and go take some pictures. Or if you cant leave, Bite me works too.

dukatum

Thanks for all the input guys. I do realize that the camera is only a very SMALL part of photography and that you really have to know your $h1# to take really good pictures. I have learned a lot in the last while.it seems that every time I pick up my D7000 I learn something new. It's a long process but it is definitely worth it. My main question was really how much better is the D7000 than the D5100.How can I defend my camera against the 5100.or do I just say BITE ME.LOL thanks again for all the feed back. Cheers!

You shouldn't have to defend your camera no matter what you own. If I had to do that to my friends, I'd get new friends before I get a new camera.
D5100 is a step down from the D7000, the model number and price already tells you that before you even pick them up. But both have their places
I own both D5100 (Wife's camera) and D7000 (my camera).

Advantage to D5100

• D5100 is light and smaller
  • 5100 has a nice tilt screen, I am jealous of this as there are times when it is just so useful you wonder why Nikon don't have it on every single camera they make!
  • D5100 is an entry level camera only a small step over the D3xxx series and is great for introducing someone to a DSLR. But there is only so much space to grow your knowledge with the D5100 and for many thats enough as they don't want to get so involved into photography.

Advantage D7000
  • When I hold the D5100, it feels like a cheap toy.
  • Shutter speed + aperture wheel on the D7000 makes it much more comfortable and fast usage compared to the single wheel + EV button on the D5100.
  • ISO change from a single button push rather than having to use a slow and annoying touch screen. Same for WB change, shooting mode, img quality, focus points, focus mode,
  • 2 Programmable buttons to have things like DOF preview, or multiple exposures or anything else from your menu set to them.
  • U modes for your own freq-used settings on the camera, only exists on D7000 and not the D5100 (though personally I never use them, some people swear by them)
  • Mode dial being on the left hand rather than the right side so you don't have to remove your trigger finger when quickly swapping shooting modes.
  • The better sensor in the camera allows better ISO and clearer pictures from night photography
  • Faster FPS
  • No commander mode on the D5100 flash.
  • Weather sealing does not exist on the D5100
  • D5100 can not support autofocus on older lenses as it lacks a focus drive in the camera itself, giving the D7000 user a much wider range of options and price ranges for lenses.

BUT, at the end of the day it means nothing unless the grey matter behind it knows how to make a photo. If you are needing a forum community to help you justify your reasons for buying a D7000 camera, then clearly you are in the early stages of your life long photographic education.
The best advice I can give you is to get over your competitiveness in gear, and concentrate on working with your friend to learn photography together. It'll be faster and more rewarding to work with someone than to sit there competing over gear all the time.

Before you spend money on any other gear, go buy a book. I'd highly recommend Michael Freeman's books.
1) Start here Michael Freeman's Photo School Fundamentals: Exposure, Light & Lighting, Composition
2) Then after reading that, depending on where you find yourself heading towards pick one of the other books found in his Photo school series.

aced19

My main question was really how much better is the D7000 than the D5100.How can I defend my camera against the 5100.or do I just say BITE ME.LOL thanks again for all the feed back. Cheers!

The two main things to me that make the 7000 better.
1. Has a built in focus motor. No need to pay big bucks for quality glass.
2. Has more focus points. (D7000 has 39, D5100 has 11)

This is what one site said about target market.
This is where it all comes down to the clear divisions: The Nikon D5100 is targeted more towards HD video enthusiasts and beginners while the D7000 is targeted more towards semi-professionals and advanced amateurs. The D7000 has build quality that is on par with it’s bigger brother....

Really the only defense you have is to show some of your pictures and say BITE ME !!! LOL.