D700 replacement?

DaveKoontz

Great choice John! ... I'm not seeing any new FX format dlsr's on the horizon - when I glanced at the d7000 with it's increase in MPs I thought that this might
be the d700 upgrade ... no, it's DX with video. You will absolutely love the D700 once you master it ... I suggest that you buy the associated videos as they
are a great help in understanding all of the cameras features .. I first bought the video for the D3 as the two cameras are very close in features.

DaveKoontz

Hi John,

Both the D700 and D3 videos were published by " Jump Start Guides" and contain a two DVDs set, I would send you mine but I do use them for reference time to time. This is a very sophisticated camera and reading the manual doesn't always help me... I need visuals and 'follow along' instructions.

Dave

IngaM

Don't chase the technology! Unless someone comes up with a quantum leap in technology, why waste the money? ....

....A new 400mm super-telephoto lens would bring me far more joy than a new body...

Exactly! I started with the D50 and upgraded to the D300 since I was looking for more features and options. Now that I have the D300, I can't imagine upgrading yet again. For what? Even more features. Hell, I barely use all of the features I have now.

Like you, I'd be far happier with a new 400mm. ;-)

cowbungus

Gosh its good to read what yall have said about the d-700... I just have the d-300s and do a lot of sports shooting.. the d-300s above 2500 ISO just does not do well.. especially in a gym without very good lighting.. so I am thinking about the d-700... the D3s cannot find one anywhere beside at the same money I could get the 24-70/2.8 and the d-700..
by the way have any of you that have the 24-70 had any problems of the zoom locking down.. seems like there is a problem with this lens according to various threads I have read. any imput I sure would appreciate it.
Much Obliged

Merc

Gosh its good to read what yall have said about the d-700... I just have the d-300s and do a lot of sports shooting.. the d-300s above 2500 ISO just does not do well.. especially in a gym without very good lighting.. so I am thinking about the d-700... the D3s cannot find one anywhere beside at the same money I could get the 24-70/2.8 and the d-700..
by the way have any of you that have the 24-70 had any problems of the zoom locking down.. seems like there is a problem with this lens according to various threads I have read. any imput I sure would appreciate it.
Much Obliged

I have the D700 and 24-70. Not had any problems with them together. In fact, quite the opposite. They have been an excellent combination.

cowbungus

Thanks Merc.. just what I was wanting to hear.. been thinking about this for a month.. I do a lot of sports and I reckon the D3s isnt going to be available for quite a while.. wish it was.. but Ill bet the d700 will work just fine.

Friends,

Although I've had the Nikon D700 for fifteen months now and have taken more than 11,000 photos with it, and I love it, I am considering purchasing a D3s, when I find one. I would like to be able to take video and photographs with the same camera. I think the assortment of lens that I have will produce great video. I have a little Flip camera and iPhone with video along with an HD Panasonic video camera that I almost never use anymore. The two smaller video cameras are incapable of doing very much and carrying a full-sized video camera and a DSLR around is an issue for my aging, aching body. The D3s would at least solve this problem.

I am very happy with the D700 and since I seldom take video any more, I am wondering if I am about to make a $5200 mistake. Or, is the D3s just what I need to spark my interest in video once again? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

cowbungus

Phyllis I do not have a D3s yet either.. but the video on a DSLR doesnt mean that much to me yet because I have a d-300s and have yet to use the video so I dont know... maybe others that read this can help ya.

Thanks, cowbungus. I emailed Photo Service in Maryland and they do have a couple D3s in stock. I am so tempted. Whenever I get this way I always end up buying. I'd be sick if I spent more than five grand for a camera that essentially does what I have now except for the video, and then Nikon came out with a full frame D700s with video at half the price. The fact that Nikon is not currently shipping the D3s (according to B&H), indicates to me that they may be pulling it from the market in order to replace it with something else. If this does not happen, and I don't purchase the D3s while I can and they soon are gone, I will have lost my chance to get one. I wish I knew what Nikon had in mind concerning the D3s before I make such a big purchase. Thanks.

cowbungus

Yes they do have the d3s and I have talked to them and nearly bought it... but gosh pricey. If I did a lot of video stuff it would be great.. and I might in the future but for now even on my 300s I have yet to use it.. there are a lot of threads on DP Review concerning the d-700 and the D3s even comparing them.. gosh have read em all.. What if... Nikon and they will sometime... update the D-700... might have the D3s sensor...wow..and 16 mp with video..who knows what they will do... but there might be a price difference also. You and I are in the same boat...what to do...what to do.. and as most folks say who are in our boat also.. just went ahead and bought the d-700...A friend of mine has a D3s and we shoot football at the sametime.. after dark.. he is shooting 1/500 at a ISO of 5000..me 2500 and having to use a flash.. mine are nearly as good as his.. but I have to do a little noise reduction. You tell me what to do and here we go..lol

Eltari

even if they made the d700 24mp, with dual card slots and iso 50 and full HD people would still buy the d3s and the d3x. they can make it better than every other camera, but because of the market its aimed for will still be between 2 and 3 grand. Photography is full of snubbery and for that reason people will still buy the D3 range just to show off they've spent a huge amount on equipment

Thanks, Eltari,

I've been thinking about replacing my D700 with the D3s since the middle of July, and if it weren't so difficult to get one, I most likely would have done it by now. But the longer I wait and the more I think about it, the less inclined I am to buy it. $5200 is a lot of money for an amateur to spend on one camera. Besides, the facts that the D3s is so difficult to get and the D700 has come down in price make me think that Nikon is up to something. They probably are going to replace the D700 with something like what you said. So, I'll wait a while to see what Nikon comes up with. Right now I do not believe that the D3s, which costs twice as much as the D700, is twice as good as the D700. I need to be convinced that it is. I'm willing to listen.

cowbungus

cowbungus

I used your email address and sent you some photos I took with the D700 using the 3200 ISO. I hope that you got them. Let me know.
Hi Phyllis.. yes I did get the photos.. gosh thats good on the d-700 I tried to reply but your server kicked me out.. and have been out of town. just now getting home.. let me know what you decide!!
Lindsey

Eltari

my advice is if you're looking at a camera and you think you can't afford it, then it's not worth you buying it. If you're an amatuer, you may want it, don't need a $5000 camera body.

what I tend to do is if there is a new body or lens (or not even new, just one i want) i do photographic jobs for friends and friends of friends, i use the money from that to put towards the new item of equipment

My point is, don't spend more on a camera unless you can earn the money to pay for it

If you're just loaded with cash or exceedinly reckless, then just ignore this :)

cowbungus

Thanks for your reply... well I got the d-700 and not the D3s.. What I do is mostly hobby for the children in my community.. Football, Basketball etc is my main objective at this time. I also got a 24-70/2.8 .. I didnt have a FX lens in wide angle. the only wide angle lens I have is a 17-55/2.8 for my d-300s.. well I did make the right decesion. In the future if I start making a little more money with what I do is upgrade to someday a D-4 or what ever is out there, but for now and at my age Im having a blast. Thanks for your help!!