D610 only outputs HDMI signal when recording to file. This limits operation to 20min…

Alastair L

This means I can't continuously shoot video and feed into vision mixing software. Most annoying.

Any workarounds or settings I'm missing?

Also I turned the display Grid off in Menu settings but it has stayed on anyhow. And it's on the video out as are the f stop and shutter speeds in the bottom bar.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You might have the wrong tool for video. Nikon cameras are mostly still cameras with video possibilities. But they have not been conceived to be used mainly as video recorders. They have limitations which you found out and I'm afraid are what they are limits.

Alastair L

Yeah thanks, if i had a dollar for everyone who told me that :) The best camera is the one you don't have to hire when you're doing a job for free. And if people only used hardware and software for what is was designed for then people wouldn't push the potential of camera and video hardware, and feature requests wouldn't drive new releases.

You probably know this but the 20min limit thing is a licensing issue not a hardware issue. If Nikon used a different codec for file saving it wouldn't be an issue for file limit, it would become hardware limits only. Many video cameras shoot to sequential short files and recombine in transfer stage.

Since I'm using HTML out, and unless I'm tripping, that is a feature that Nikon has provided the D610 camera with, I would like to turn the grid and shooting specs off for the HTML output preview. Consumer cameras a quarter of the price can do this little.

Last edited:

WayneF

Yeah thanks, if i had a dollar for everyone who told me that :) The best camera is the one you don't have to hire when you're doing a job for free. And if people only used hardware and software for what is was designed for then people wouldn't push the potential of camera and video hardware, and feature requests wouldn't drive new releases.

You probably know this but the 20min limit thing is a licensing issue not a hardware issue. If Nikon used a different codec for file saving it wouldn't be an issue for file limit, it would become hardware limits only. Many video cameras shoot to sequential short files and recombine in transfer stage.

Since I'm using HTML out, and unless I'm tripping, that is a feature that Nikon has provided the D610 camera with, I would like to turn the grid and shooting specs off for the HTML output preview. Consumer cameras a quarter of the price can do this little.

I don't have a D610, but the other Nikon DSLR will output any and every LCD screen to HDMI, recording or not, recorded or not... This includes JPG playback, movie playback, or Live view viewfinder before recording. Even includes menus that show on the rear LCD. Any LCD screen goes to HDMI.

To view recorded movies, show them in playback, and then press the Selector center button to start them playing (see the manual about Viewing Movies).

And FWIW, the 30 minute limitations are about UK laws taxing video cameras, defined as capability to record 30 minutes. But the 20 minute limit is about the 24 Mbps "High" resolution that Nikon offers. Due to the 32 bit data addressing, camcorders also still have to interrupt the file then, and start a new file automatically, but they have to pay the UK tax, which allows them to do this automatic restart exceeding 30 minutes. DSLR don't pay, and stop at 29 minutes 59 seconds.

Last edited:

Daz

As Wayne says its to do with laws ... ALTHOUGH stick an Atomos Ninja on it and it will do unlimited recording

Alastair L

Yes, I'm using a BlackMagic Design UltraStudio MiniRecorder to bring the HDMI out into my MBP via TB port. How does the licensing law effect that?

Alastair L

Thx Daz, my BMD UltraStudio MiniRecorder going into any app on my MBP can record continuously to my SSDs ;-). It's the D610 output configuration that is the issue here. I know the Atomos Ninja though and it's good if you have the cash.

Last edited:

Alastair L

Ok so I got it working again. Had to cycle through the "info" button options to get to clean HDMI out i.e. no grid, virtual horizon or info display. THere's a Menu Setting in Custom Menu called "d2 Viewfinder grid" display and already had it to OFF but am wondering how it effects things. Turning it on seems to change nothing in Movie mode.

For those who come here looking for a how to, this little Atmos Ninja video provides a couple of settings for the D610 HDMI Output and Movie Settings menu items.