D610 Oil spot issue

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Nikon exchanged my D600 for a D610 which arrived on Monday, since then I've had 3 lenses on, one of which was on for 3 days to shoot macro. In that time, I've watched the dirt build up on the left hand side of the sensor just the same as it did with the D600. General dust would be all over the sensor, this is most definitely limited to the left side exactly like the D600. I'm now waiting for Nikon to get back to me with what they intend to do about it, but it's most certainly a problem and something I wasn't expecting at all.

View attachment 156895

What aperture did you use when you took this photo? Anything smaller than f/16 will show every spec of dust. Most cameras will have some spots, but if you are shooting macro with really small apertures, be prepared to see some spots.

Make sure when you change lenses to blow off the rear element of every lens first. You might have dirt there that is transferring to the inside of the body. Did you try using a rocket blower to blow the inside of the body to see if it would remove any of these spots?

hrphotography

My D610 also collects spots on the left upper hand corner, but its much slower than the previous D600. I recently made an HDR and the dust spots were big and ugly, however i was able to remove with spot remover tool. I did use the rocket blower but the spots persisted. I am done dealing with Nikon (horrible experience before). Will try to use sensor cleaner if it gets too bad.

Blade Canyon

If you use a bright light and know approximately where to look (opposite corner from where they appear on the photo), then yes you can sometimes see the spots with the naked eye. I used to do wet cleans all the time, but once I did scratch my sensor (only visible at f18 and higher), so I'm a lot more cautious now.

nickt

but once I did scratch my sensor (only visible at f18 and higher), so I'm a lot more cautious now.
Did you make a particular mistake like re-using the swab, too much pressure, slip of the hand, etc? Or was it a total surprise after the fact? I've done several cleans over the years without issue, but I'm always so nervous I'll make a bad move or just have bad luck. My family has to be out of the house, cat sound asleep, phone turned off, no coffee, lol.

Blade Canyon

Did you make a particular mistake...

It was a complete surprise that showed up in later photos. My presumption is that I applied too much pressure. I became pretty cavalier in my cleaning, thinking, "I'm just cleaning a piece of glass... the OPLF that covers the sensor." Later, I got a 105mm lens that goes up to f32, so I made a few shots at the smallest aperture and saw a VERY visible artifact that turned out to be a scratch because it appeared in all photos.

Now, I bought that D600 used, so it's possible the scratch was there before, and I had never shot it at a high enough aperture to notice the scratch, but I was probably the one. Also, when the D600 got it's free shutter replacement under the D600 repair program, they told me it was scratched and I paid to have it replaced. Ugh.

Viking56

Hi Gerry, I have the same problem, I am getting oil spots in one corner of my sensor on my D610, theses are definately oil spots and not dust, a jet blower doesn't touch them and neither does auto clean. I have wet cleaned the sensor myself on a few occasions and this works but only for a short while and the spots start to build up again. Right now I am having to wet clean the sensor about once a month which is something I didn't envisage doing after paying £1400 for a camera. seriously thinking of going back to my canon 700d, I never had this problem whith canon

Bukitimah

i have done wet cleaning on my sensor and from my experience, you need something quite hard and sharp to scratch it. good to know what actually happen because you maybe doing something wrong even if you dont apply too much pressure.

Hi Gerry, I have the same problem, I am getting oil spots in one corner of my sensor on my D610, theses are definately oil spots and not dust, a jet blower doesn't touch them and neither does auto clean. I have wet cleaned the sensor myself on a few occasions and this works but only for a short while and the spots start to build up again. Right now I am having to wet clean the sensor about once a month which is something I didn't envisage doing after paying £1400 for a camera. seriously thinking of going back to my canon 700d, I never had this problem whith canon

This is a very old thread. The oil problem was a very known problem with the D600 that Nikon repaired under warranty and even replaced some of them with the D610. Have you contacted Nikon about this problem? If not you need to ASAP

Viking56

I have heard that contacting Nikon is worse than going to the dentist. I bought the D610 because I had heard all about the oil problem with the D600 and that the D610 was the fix. Doesn't seem to be the case, I am trying to calm myself down enough to contact Nikon but can't see it going well.

SkvLTD

I have heard that contacting Nikon is worse than going to the dentist. I bought the D610 because I had heard all about the oil problem with the D600 and that the D610 was the fix. Doesn't seem to be the case, I am trying to calm myself down enough to contact Nikon but can't see it going well.

Sent mine in twice and both were flat 2 week turnaround.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Seems to me like you are over reacting before the facts. How Nikon will deal with you is something you don't know yet. So just keep breathing and do what you have to do.

My suggestion is that learning how to wet clean a sensor is something we all should learn. It's not rocket science and it does keep your shots clean until the dust shows up. And all dslr's sensors are dust magnets. And all dlsr at one point or another will need a wet cleaning.

So bite the bullet now and be done with it. This is something I'm really glad I learned early.

Best of luck

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My D610 seems to require a wet cleaning more often than my D750, D7100, and D90. But it definitely isn't anything like what I experienced with the oil spot issue on my D600.