D5100 vs D90

stmv

the current price of the D7000 is 1050, so 250 dollars more, but you gain the top LCD display, dual memory slots, and whole generation sensor. The D90 is a great camera, but really a bit long of tooth if you have the choice to buy new.

Yes, the top LCD display can be very handy, but not as not as much on the D7000, they did not include the Light meter display! and that is the key value of the top display,, Ironic, I think that is one of the functions Nikon removed from the D7000 to differeniate from the D300.

Really comes down if you think you want to expand the lens or remain in the G land. I noticed Nikon puts a premium on G lens of around 100 dollars per lens, so it does not take long to make up the difference.

Is the camera a long term investment, will you buy just a couple of lens and be done. I know lots of my camera friend never buys a single lens beyond the kit set of lens. So, if that is the case,then the 5100 is the better investment.

CRD

I take the D5100 over the D90 , things that made me choose the D5100 = Flip out screen (I use this feature a lot), BETTER IMAGE QUALITY using the same lens 50mm AF f/1.8D Prime, Better picture color, Better ISO for (night sky timelapse).

It also have a great Selective Color effect that I use often (why wait for a software to do the trick if I can see it live and adjust color tones in the camera)

As for video, I have own several expensive 1080p dedicated video cameras and YES the other ones have more zoom, and other features but video quality on the D5100 is way better than my dedicated HD video cameras. (bigger sensor, more megapixels = Better video)

It does suck not having a LCD on top or focus motor but I can live without it for now.

salu

its not just to compare them this way. nikon website(India) says d5100 will cost 29k and d90 will cost 43k (both body only) they are entirely different price segments. infact d5100 is too good to ignore when i saw this price difference. for a rookie like me its an obvious choice. im getting it tomorrow :)

Atanu Dey

Hello, i am new to nikon and photography. I have narrowed down to d5100 and d90. Mainly shooting action sports like soccer, basketball, and football. What is your recommendation?? On the d5100, why does is not having auto focus limit some lenses? Also, is having the lcd on top a big deal?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

D5100 is a great camera except that it does not have a motor in the body. This means that you will always have to buy motorized lenses (i.e the AF-S or AF-I lenses) which are more expensive. The other side of the argument is that if you really need a fast focus lens (as you would need in case of sports photography), then just an AF lens which focuses using the body motor may not be good enough. LCD on top is not a big deal at al as the LCD at the back is huge and shows everything that you need to see.

Knave

The other side of the argument is that if you really need a fast focus lens (as you would need in case of sports photography), then just an AF lens which focuses using the body motor may not be good enough.

OK, new guy here.....can you explain a little further on that statement. Are you basically saying that the motor in a lens is faster focusing then a motor in the body focusing the lens? I'm the class dunce, so any help with this info would be appreciated.

stmv

first, fire sells of the 5100 at 500 dollars which is a great deal. Brand new camera for 500 dollars.

it really depends on whether or not your want the older generation lens (mostly used), Nikon is quickly
phasing out these lens, and bring on the G generation lens.

on the otherhand, I really like shooting in manual mode (being too conditioned with old film cameras), so
I really like the front and back command dials, one for the aperature, second for the speed.

go handle both if you can, the 5100 is a bit smaller, I really like the way the D90 feels in the hand,

I have had both sensors, D5100 has the same as the D7000 and I really like the look of the pictures out
of the 16 Meg sensor. The D90 shares the sensor of the D300, which is quite nice.

so,, either way,, will work for what ever choice you pick.

Atanu Dey

Traditionally when Nikon had film cameras with Auto Focus, they usually had a camera in the body and lenses were just AF (i.e without a motor). The modern trend is to have a lens which AF-S i.e with a motor in the lens (the so called Silent Wave Motor of Nikon). These lenses with motor are usually faster than the AF lenses and also more expensive. With D90, you will have to choice of using either an AF lens (using the body motor) or the AF-S lens (using the lens motor). With D5100, you have to always use the AF-S lens or focus manually.
Coming back to your requirement where you need fast focusing / continuous focus mode, you are better off with the AF-S series lenses. I assume you will also need a decently long telephoto (70-200 may be) with a VR as well and those come only in AF-S series lenses. You can also go through the following link :
Lens focus motor - Learn - Snapsort