D500 Battery Cover Door

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Cindy, in a previous post you mentioned that you didn't want to take any chance because this part could conduct electricity to the body, but in reality it doesn't. All the connections are in the bottom of the battery compartment. There is no connection at all between the battery door and the camera. The battery is "clipped" in from the yellow latch inside the battery compartment. My wobbles too but I'm not concerned at all. You might want to check what in your bag could have opened the latch...

Then I wonder why there is a huge metal plate on the inside of the battery door. :confused: As for anything causing the battery door to open, I have no idea. I use a Think Tank Holster. That means the camera is inserted into the holster with the lens facing down and the back of the camera facing the zippered opening. Since I use the larger sized holsters that accommodate a grip (yet I don't have a grip attached), there is room around the sides where nothing really touches or presses against the bottom of the body.

I had charged the battery and possibly didn't get the door closed completely, but that wouldn't explain how loose the door wobbles. When I receive the replacement, it will be interesting to see if it wobbles the same amount.

Needa

Challenge Team
Then I wonder why there is a huge metal plate on the inside of the battery door. :confused:

There is a spring of some sort and part of the latch mechanism underneath the plate. It might also give some protection for the gasket.

I suspect the medal plate is for rigidity and size (depth) The part could have been made from all plastic but for it to maintain its shape and therefore seal it wold have needed to be thicker. I think it was just a design choice.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The replacement cover arrived today. Putting it side-by-side with the original door, honestly I couldn't see any difference. The tabs looked to be the same length. Putting it on was a little more challenging than the original door though so obviously something between them is different. Plus that wobble isn't nearly as noticeable. So the replacement seems to be a little more snug. :)

lucien

I think it might be wear and tear. It might be the sling that you are carrying your camera in. Something to think about. Then again I might be wrong : ) either way keep it in mind

STM

I guess I have been fortunate with mine. How much more would it add to the price of the camera to make it out of metal, maybe $10? Hardly a deal breaker. The same goes for the memory card door. I would gladly pay $20 extra for never having to worry about them.