Cost of a photo to go in a magazine??

Just-Clayton

OK! More to the story. I went up to talk to the girl that sent me the E-mail, I told her that if it were an interior photo I would charge $50 for the usage. So, she tells me the group likes a certain picture and that they were thinking of using it for the cover. ( Jaw drops!!) I said "cover"?? So, my question now is what do I charge a business for the use of a photo to be used on the cover of over 80,000 copies of a tourist book that is distributed over the state and outskirts??

STM

If it was me I would start at $200 and let them counter offer. I would not go any lower than $100 though. If you start giving your stuff away for free then people will begin to expect it. If it is good work, you deserve to be compensated for it. I would also hold out for rights like (photo by _________) at the end of the caption or below the image. If it will be used for the cover I would go up to $400.

Rick M

I would keep it low still, $100.00, for limited use, you retain ownership. I'll bet they don't want exclusive rights anyway and this way you can continue to sell the image. Along with that ask for a 1/8 or 1/4 page on the inside for your bio/credit. You don't want to spook them, nor ask for so much that they want exclusive rights. This way you get the gig, the credit, exposure and can continue to profit off the image.

Just-Clayton

Well, I would have to keep the rights. I have too many postcards and the photo sells pretty good. I do think I will start at 200 W/ inside bio. Does that sound good??

zain

First of all, congratulations on the offer to have your picture published in a magazine. I know how it feels to see our photo appear in a magazine especially so if the magazine is widely circulated or international one.As a comparison 2 years ago, I once had my hot air balloon picture published double-page spread in Fah-Thai, an in-flight magazine of Bangkok Airways and the best price I could get was equivalent to US$150.00, for non-exclusive right. However the rate might vary according to the size of circulation, type of publication (book, magazine, pamhplet etc) and also the type of target readers.By the way here is what my picture looks like when printed double page spread in Fah Thai magazine. Shot with Nikon D80 (10 MP) but in RAW. I provide the publisher with only high quality (lest compressed JPG) and they faced no problem printing it double spread :)
p1028384626-4.jpg
OK!! When some of you get a picture published in a magazine, what would you charge for the picture or pictures. This is a big publication tourist magazine for the area.

Just-Clayton

All the info is helping. Thanks.
I'm dropping off the digital print to them tomorrow to see how it looks on there edit board.
It just feels good to know that a picture I shot is capable of getting this far. To me it's an advertisement. If I am allowed to have my name and site put in, that would work too.