Corrupted SD?

Mellie

and again, not sure how well informed you are about the different formats which you can shoot in, but as already mentioned here NEF is the raw data which is captured by the camera sensor. if you are used to shooting in jpeg mode the NEF will certainly be new to you. when shooting in jpeg mode the camera will take the raw data, apply presets for various parameters such as brightness, colour saturation, contrast etc. and make a Jpeg for you. The advantage of shooting in RAW nd processing the raw images in the computer is that you have alot more flexibility.

There are many free programs available for displaying RAW and exporting to Jpeg. If you are using a mac you are in luck as there is a powerful image processing software called Darktable available (which I use). check out darktable.org It is completely free and there are many youtube tutorials available.

I will definitely have to give that a go! I am making the assumption that I have never shot in RAW before as I've never seen so much detail in the photos before from the camera.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
They show up perfect without any faults on the camera display. They where all taken in a RAW format so I am hoping it's just because I was using fairly basic software. I initially put the SD card straight into my SD card reader built into my laptop and never had issues with it before doing so however I can't be sure that previous photos were taken RAW or JPEG. I have downloaded a few of the suggested free software programs and will try a combination of those as well as using the USB cable straight to the laptop incase it is a SD card/card reader issue :)

What I would try first is to convert your selected shots to jpeg IN CAMERA to a new card. This way you will at least save the shots. Then you can experiment and find the weak link in your transfer procedures.

J-see

Or to be really sure nothing happens with the photos, use another card to check what the problem is and store the card with the photos until it is fixed.

Vixen

When you do finally get the shots off the camera, or if you need to buy a new SD card, whatever......it pays to format the SD card in the camera BEFORE you use it, and then periodically while you are using it, especially if you use a card reader or directly put the card into the card slot on your computer. It is due to how different devices read/write.

Sandpatch

My wife had a flukey SD Card, so bought RescuePRO software for $50 to recover some irreplaceable photos. It worked perfectly.

Afterwards I strongly urged her to throw away the Card, but she instead re-formatted it and it appeared to work fine ..... briefly. She again used RescuePRO with success ..... and then finally threw away the Card.

If it is a Card fault, RescuePRO is good stuff. Good luck.

Englischdude

I will definitely have to give that a go! I am making the assumption that I have never shot in RAW before as I've never seen so much detail in the photos before from the camera.

Ok. Just let me know if i can offer any further support. In order to get jpegs quickly however you should also be able to convert from raw to jpeg in-camera. You need to check the manual for your particular model for step by step instructions. After ghis you will also have jpeg files on the card, it would be interesting to see how they look on the computer.

Good luck!

Mellie

Ok. Just let me know if i can offer any further support. In order to get jpegs quickly however you should also be able to convert from raw to jpeg in-camera. You need to check the manual for your particular model for step by step instructions. After ghis you will also have jpeg files on the card, it would be interesting to see how they look on the computer.

Good luck!

Darktable worked!!!!! :D :D :D I have one very very happy bride and groom (and me!) Thank you all so much for all of your suggestions and help - you all gave me hope that it wasn't a lost cause and I got to learn a few things along the way! It was my software but just to be safe I will be replacing my SD card anyway.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Englischdude

Darktable worked!!!!! :D :D :D I have one very very happy bride and groom (and me!) Thank you all so much for all of your suggestions and help - you all gave me hope that it wasn't a lost cause and I got to learn a few things along the way! It was my software but just to be safe I will be replacing my SD card anyway.

Welcome welcome welcome! We like success stories here ;)

RockyNH_RIP

Congrats... Glad that you got it solved and saved...

Pat in GA

fotojack

A happy ending! :)

OK, just to add to your knowledge base here, Mellie...the brand of SD card sometimes has an effect on how your pictures turn out. I constantly tell those that use SD cards to get the Class 10 Lexar or Sandisk cards....not those cheap Class 4 cards at Wal Mart or whatever.

Unless you're proficient in using Photo Shop or any other software that processes NEF (raw) format, do yourself a favour and set your camera setting to jpeg Fine. You can always graduate to raw later on as you get more familiar with settings and buttons and all that jazz! :) Take it one step at a time, there's no rush. Learn the ins and outs of your camera first.....then jump into shooting raw if you really want to. Unless you're selling your work, there's really no reason to use raw. Just use jpeg and you'll be fine. :)

Mellie

A happy ending! :)

OK, just to add to your knowledge base here, Mellie...the brand of SD card sometimes has an effect on how your pictures turn out. I constantly tell those that use SD cards to get the Class 10 Lexar or Sandisk cards....not those cheap Class 4 cards at Wal Mart or whatever.

Unless you're proficient in using Photo Shop or any other software that processes NEF (raw) format, do yourself a favour and set your camera setting to jpeg Fine. You can always graduate to raw later on as you get more familiar with settings and buttons and all that jazz! :) Take it one step at a time, there's no rush. Learn the ins and outs of your camera first.....then jump into shooting raw if you really want to. Unless you're selling your work, there's really no reason to use raw. Just use jpeg and you'll be fine. :)

Thanks for that :) Fortunately I believe I only have Sandisk cards at the moment and tend to only buy those or the Lexar ones. I do believe that "you get what you pay for" and consequently spending a few extra dollars can save you in the long run.