Content-Aware Crop coming soon

Bill16

I pay under $10 a month and it was well worth it to me, even though I am on disability income. I am the trial an error type learner, so needless to say I am no expert!lol ;)
When you get back to work, I highly recommend CC for the lightroom and Photoshop apps. I don't understand the cloud and don't use it as far as I know!lol But the post processing app I used before was much much harder to use and had a way way poorer final photo!

I also highly recommend shooting raw if you post process. The final outcome can be way better than you get from post processing jpg files. These are just my suggestions from my own experience. Once you get use to post processing Raw files, you won't likely want to do it any other way!:D

Yes, like just today I learned what Leading Lines are, thanks to an observation by @hark on one of @Bill16 's images!
http://nikonites.com/off-topic/35949-latest-update-about-bill16-26.html#post558448

Learning software on YouTube is sometimes tough for me. Many times they rush through the process (yes, I replay it over and over), or their version of the software is different from mine.

Once I am employed again I may consider CC. Right now I can't even upgrade Elements.
I really want a paycheck so I can get back in the NAS game! And pay the rent.... ;)

BackdoorArts

Time saver? Yes. Game changer? Hardly.

I never use the crop tool to straighten so losing image space has never been an issue for me, but I do use Free Transform to rotate and it can leave me with the blank spots. What I'd love to see is the option to add it to things like Free Transform instead of just a specific instance of the Crop tool.

With that all said, what this does is saves me about 1 minute in cases where I have to do it. Otherwise it's using the Magic Wand to select the empty space, expanding the selection by 10-20 pixels and then using Content Aware Fill. That's worked for me for ages. This is more or less an action.

Good to hear CA Fill is available in Elements finally.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Time saver? Yes. Game changer? Hardly.

I never use the crop tool to straighten so losing image space has never been an issue for me, but I do use Free Transform to rotate and it can leave me with the blank spots. What I'd love to see is the option to add it to things like Free Transform instead of just a specific instance of the Crop tool.

With that all said, what this does is saves me about 1 minute in cases where I have to do it. Otherwise it's using the Magic Wand to select the empty space, expanding the selection by 10-20 pixels and then using Content Aware Fill. That's worked for me for ages. This is more or less an action.

Good to hear CA Fill is available in Elements finally.

I straighten mine in Bridge under the lens correction tab then take the image to PCC. I will try your suggestion on filling in the blank areas as I haven't yet done it that way. Thanks for the tip.

BackdoorArts

I straighten mine in Bridge under the lens correction tab then take the image to PCC. I will try your suggestion on filling in the blank areas as I haven't yet done it that way. Thanks for the tip.

When straightening in Bridge/Lr just make sure you don't have Autocrop set so you retain the blank areas.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
When straightening in Bridge/Lr just make sure you don't have Autocrop set so you retain the blank areas.

I didn't know that was an option, but when straightening in Bridge, I haven't run into that problem. Thanks for letting me know because if I inadvertently change the settings, I'll know it is something I can fix!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't mean to sound pedantic but I think you mean Adobe Camera Raw, not Adobe Bridge.

Oh you are quite correct in both facts...I access Adobe Camera RAW to edit but I go through Bridge, not PCC. And you are also right that you sound pedantic. Lol. :beguiled:

Just remember, you said it first. ;)

Whiskeyman

Features like this will eventually draw me into a subscription. But not yet since I need to utilize much more of PS's features than I currently do using Elements 14 and the latest update for Lightroom 5.

One thing from the video that did bother me, though, is that the demonstrator used the beach to set the horizon line, when they had a real horizon with the water just above it. Does that bother anyone else as a poor technique, or is that good enough?

WM

STM

It will certainly save a step but I am sure it is just an automated form of what we have now with the Edit, Fill, Content Aware tool. Sometimes the Content Aware fill works well and other times it is just horrible!