Confused. TMI

skater

I have a 50mm, and though I like it, I don't use it that much because of the 75mm effective focal length on my DX cameras. I'd definitely recommend getting the 35mm. It's on my list. But, of course, it's all in what you're planning to do with it.

The other lens I have and love was also mentioned, the Tokina 11-16 2.8. It's GREAT in museums for taking pictures of large things (airplanes, trains, etc.), because usually you can't get far enough away for a 'regular' lens to do the job. We thought we wanted a fisheye, but I use the wide-angle a LOT more than I would use the fisheye. It's pretty much my walkaround lens when I go in a museum.

Of course, neither of those settles one of the issues you started with, the fact that you have to swap lenses back and forth. I don't have a good solution there. The issue, as you noticed, is the cost of good lenses. And even those won't do the ultra-wide angles or fisheye views, nor will they be as good in low light as a 1.8 or 1.4.

RON_RIP

If you like shooting inside the 35mm sounds like the first step that you want to take and then, possibly the 18 to 140, and I highly recommend buying refurbished from Cameta for any lens purchases as you will stretch out your dollars and still have lots of versatility. Of course, at some point, you are still going to need a nifty 50. Almost everyone agrees on that. Dx or FX, it is still one of the best bangs for the bucks.

Horoscope Fish

Of course, at some point, you are still going to need a nifty 50. Almost everyone agrees on that. Dx or FX, it is still one of the best bangs for the bucks.
It's an excellent lens and an excellent deal but I passed over the 50mm entirely, preferring the combination of 35mm and 85mm primes instead. I had a "nifty fifty" at one point but it always felt awkward to me on a DX body. The lens saw so little use I almost forgot I owned it and was eventually got sold to help finance the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G I have now.

RON_RIP

Well, I use my 50 often but would eventually like to add the 85 but I do not thinkI will ever sell the 50. I did that before and just had to go back and get another one. On the other hand, I do not have the 35mm and would probably not buy one unless I started shooting more indoors, which i presently do not do.

It's an excellent lens and an excellent deal but I passed over the 50mm entirely, preferring the combination of 35mm and 85mm primes instead. I had a "nifty fifty" at one point but it always felt awkward to me on a DX body. The lens saw so little use I almost forgot I owned it and was eventually got sold to help finance the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G I have now.

I agree with you on that. The 50mm is just to wide to e comfortable. I have the 35mm but so many times I wish it were a 28mm

Horoscope Fish

So B & H Photo is selling the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 together with an 85mm f/3.5 for about $500. Good deal? Wish the 85mm was 2.8 or better. I'm shying away thinking that I already have the 85mm covered with my 55-200.
Nikon Macro & Portrait 85mm f/3.5 and 35mm f/1.8 Two 13490
That's not the 85mm I think most of us are referring to, at least not me. The 85mm in that package is a DX "Micro", Nikon's term for what everyone else on the planet would call a "macro" lens. When I spoke of the 85mm previously, I was referring to the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G specifically, a full-frame lens that, bought new, goes for about $500.

I don't have enough experience with the 85mm DX Micro to have an opinion about it.

Last edited:

hkaborn2

Thank you veekon. Was that the Filmore in Philly, north of the Ben Franklin Bridge? How is that venue? I was thinking about going there this coming Friday to see Grace Potter and hopefully to take a few pix. To your knowledge, were there issues bringing cameras in if you didn't have press credentials?