Clearly my next camera

Scott Murray

The sensor alone is worth the price. It's just wonderful to use and the files are just so nice to work with, not too big and yet big enough for larger prints. Color rendition is just great. Here's a shot I did just yesterday morning in the freezing Canadian cold.

winter_in_north_hatley-4926.jpg
Ummm I think you need to calibrate the colours, the green grass is white for some strange reason :D

cadomniel

I see lightly used ones and refurbed ones going for under $2k now so they are definately on my radar and I feel I will be getting a Df very soon....
I was thinking of moving over to Fuji with the XT-1 but I've already invested quite a bit into Nikon and would only need to add a prime or two to my collection to go along with my Df.
I don't plan to use any big zooms on the Df , its just not built for that!

cadomniel

I pulled the trigger on one today. Ordered it with the kit lens even though I already have a 50mm 1.8G I figured for $100 more could sell the one I have and then get the one that matches the DF.

Was between this and the X-t1. I think Fuji nailed the fusion of old school and modern better but full frame and the sheer amount of Nikon full frame glass available swayed me over.

cadomniel

I have had the Df about a month now. I ended up buying a new Df from an AD while they were on sale and even got the kit lens, even though I had a 50mm/1.8G. I sold that other 50mm locally.
I purchased the grip and shutter button. It should have come with a deeper grip and the shutter button should come with the camera when its purchased.
Purchasing the Df has inspired me to try some old Manual focus lenses. I think the one thing I would change with the DF is that it should come straight from the factory with a focusing screen better suited to MF glass. A lot of people seem to be using the older Manual focus lenses on their Df.

The ISO implementation is a bit finicky and switching between auto-ISO and normal ISO involves a lot of menu diving whereas with D7100 its just a flick of the command dial. I was using auto-iso to begin with and it worked very well, but now just control ISO manually.

I think that people react differently when you take photos of them with Df vs other Nikon dslr's. Its hard to explain but its something I have noticed.

Df is a purely emotional choice , you have to love the styling and idea behind the camera because for the price there are far better rational choices. Sometimes I think a D750 would have been a better choice for me rationally, but it would have been harder for me to explain to my wife why I need almost two identical cameras ....and it would not give me as much fun as I have shooting with the DF.

Lack of video and only one card slot has not been an issue for me. But would be nice to have the AF of the D750 for better AF in low light. MY D7100 is a bit better for AF in low light and of course has an AF assist light.

Chayelle

When I read threads like this, I start salivating!
So many who like this camera... for its simplicity of use...
Just what I need, simple. :)