Can you help ID this bird please?

Stoshowicz

Male northern or red shafted flicker, has red malar , and the brown doesnt extend all the way back on the head ( negating guilded flicker)

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Not sure if this is a good place for this, but I found a smart phone app that looks like it will be helpful for identifying birds. App is "Merlin Bird ID" by Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Only tried it a couple of times since installing on iPhone, but it is pretty simple to use.

YOT

a8480f0f19d40c24047bb4a775941686.jpg

Pretty sure.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Saw this bird briefly before it disappeared back in the hole. Highly trimmed in camera to show colors. I was thinking Starling, but it looks different than the photos in my book and Merlin is useless without a tail.
csc_0197_01.jpg

What I saw.
dsc_0192_01.jpg

Moab Man

Here I was going to chime in on being able to identify the European Starling. It's one of the few I know, but I'm too late. LOL

Wolfeye

If you ever want to get into birding more, I offer one tidbit of advice. Don't get a book with color photographs of the birds. I have a Golden Guide from 1989 that I used in my ornithology class. It has color illustrations instead of photos. With photos you'll tend to look for that *exact* bird, but with illustrations you look for an illustration that closest resembles the bird, because illustrations are not photos of real, living birds. It's hard to explain, but drawings are better.

Kevin H

Saw this bird briefly before it disappeared back in the hole. Highly trimmed in camera to show colors. I was thinking Starling, but it looks different than the photos in my book and Merlin is useless without a tail.
csc_0197_01.jpg

What I saw.
dsc_0192_01.jpg

That's the one bird I really hate

Blacktop

Help identify this species.

I'm opening this thread for those who need identifying wildlife and even some human species.:)
With so many experts around here to help, I feel this thread is needed.
If there is already such a thread , I apologize.

Blacktop

Re: Help identify this species.

Shot this yesterday at the bird refuge. While waiting for some cranes to fly by, I saw something that looked like a hawk in the distance.
Normally I wouldn't even attempt to shoot that far out with my 70-300, but I was curious to see what it was.
Looks looks some spotted hawk I've never seen before. Anyone?

_DSC4411.jpg

480sparky

Re: Help identify this species.

I use an app called Merlin Bird ID. You answer 5 questions, and it gives you the possibilities of what it is.

The 5 questions are Your Location, Date of Sighting, Size of bird, select up to 3 colors, and where was the bird (ground, tree, swimming, flying)?

Once you id the bird, you can choose "That's my bird!" and your positive identification is sent back to the developers to help improve the app.