Blacktops edit this RAW file thread.

Blacktop

Here is the one I opted out of. Looks dramatic but not natural.

DSC_3252-Edit-2.jpg

Blacktop

I just had an idea for a challenge. Someone put up a RAW file. Everyone could edit it, and who ever gets the most likes at the end of the week, gets to put up their own RAW file. (or is there too many challenges already?)

traceyjj

I just had an idea for a challenge. Someone put up a RAW file. Everyone could edit it, and who ever gets the most likes at the end of the week, gets to put up their own RAW file. (or is there too many challenges already?)

I like that idea - maybe one a month?, it might get me back to shooting RAW again, but the larger file sizes of the 36Mp cameras might put some people off maybe?

J-see

I just noticed this fun thread. First idea was B&W but I decided against it.

_DSC4095.jpg

DSC_3252.jpg

Did another of the clouds. They are fun to do.

DSC_3252-2.jpg

Last edited:

Blacktop

I noticed that some left the building and the vehicles in the image. Do you guys think that it adds to the image?
I shot this with a 16x9 crop in mind so I already knew that I was only going to save some trees and even then I was going to darken the foreground. The same reason that I focused on the clouds and shot in spot metering.

J-see

I left it because it is pretty hard to darken the lower area without turning it into some unnatural blackness. Maybe when cloning some of the trees and pasting them there before darkening, it would remain natural.

Eyelight

Seemed like too much clutter to me and cropping would have made for off balance sky/ground and short trees, so opted to adjust brush the foreground into obliviland.

Just had a thought though based on @J-see 's comment, that the sky in mine needed more lux. Used the Graduated Filter to darken the foreground and then played with Purple and Magenta to bring a little more life from the clouds. Left the single light in the darkness to add a little mystery.

141201_DSC_3252_1024-2.jpg

Last edited:

J-see

I did some quick and sloppy C/V in PS and brushed it some in LR to cover the lower area. Far from perfect but it's just to give an idea.

DSC_3252-Edit.jpg

When you know you're going to do some serious editing in some parts of the shot, it's best to take some additional shots of the same environment you could use if you need to cover or replace parts. I do it with clouds now. When it's one of those gray days and I have a shot that could benefit of a better sky, I check my cheat-list and use one of those instead.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Thanks. That looks pretty good @J-cee. I love how every one is having fun with this. I'm going to post another as soon as this one dies down.

RocketCowboy

Could do it weekly, or let the person who posted the RAW decide who's work they like best?