Black & White Shooters

Dave_W

The Dude
Does ANYONE...... ANYONE on this site (or any other) ever.... EVER!!! Read the fine print!?!?!?

By submitting an entry, entrant grants the Sponsors and their designees an irrevocable, royalty-free, nonexclusive, worldwide perpetual license to use the entry and his/her name, city and state of residence for credit purposes in Sponsors' online galleries, without further compensation, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law. In addition, each winner grants to the Sponsors and their designees an irrevocable, royalty-free, nonexclusive, worldwide perpetual license to use and distribute the entry (as submitted, or as cropped by the Sponsors), and his/her name, city and state of residence for credit purposes, in any and all media now or hereafter known, including without limitation in Outdoor Photographer, Digital Photo and Digital Photo Pro magazines, for purposes of promotion of this Contest and other Sponsors' contests and/or for purposes of advertising and promoting the Sponsors and, except as otherwise stated herein, without further compensation, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law.

Most of the entries have NO HOPE IN HELL of winning anything. However, the contest sponsors DELIGHT in GRABBING the IRREVOCABLE, ROYALTY FREE WORLD WIDE PERPETUAL LICENSE to TAKE your image and do with, what they want for the very lucrative price of .... ZIPPO to you. Just send them your best images, they will love you for it.

Seriously, why do people continue to post his garbage!

DON'T PROMOTE
DON'T PARTICIPATE
DON'T GIVE CREDENCE to

these shameless COPYRIGHT GRABBERS.

READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!

MontyPythonRunAway.jpg

monty-python-killer-rabbit-run-away.jpg

Photowyzard

So is this not legit?

These contest are LEGIT in as much as they are a contest, often times thrown by "Reputable" companies like and, including NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC.

If you read the fine print..... WHICH NO BODY DOES .... these "contests" are a copy right grab.

When you submit your image, you are GIVING THEM THE PERPETUAL, FOR ALL ETERNITY, RIGHT to use your images as they see fit ... FREE.... FOREVER.

You get a "Image taken by CHUMP Photographer" as your payment.

Your chances of actually winning anything are -------->||<------------- 100 times less than that gap! You are not going to win.

And, you GAVE THEM, what you thought, was your best image!

So, if that sits right with you..... Go Ahead and Enter.

Otherwise ... pass the word on.

A good contest is one where the rights belong to you forever, you win a prize, the Contest Sponsor uses your image only to promote the contest and it isn't for eternity. GOOD LUCK FINDING THOSE.. because the whole idea is TO GRAB YOUR IMAGES!!!

READ THE FINE PRINT BEFORE YOU:

i) enter any contest
ii) Upload to FACEBOOK
iii) upload anything to GOOGLE
iv) use a service like Photobucket or the like
v) READ THE FINE PRINT

Because, you may not know it.... by simply uploading an image to even a social media sight can result in the EXACT SAME THING... they take your image!

One more time.....

​READ THE FINE PRINT :)

PS: if you do upload.... upload a 72DPI, small image. Not a hi-res, 8 MP super image. Make it barely presentable so they can't make it bigger or print it or use it other than how you intended it to be used.... to be viewed online only.

Last edited:

STM

so,, I am curious,, do any users use color filters on their DSLRs for any type of BW effects? I always just shoot normal,, and then do my conversion in CS (also Bibble has some really
nice BW conversions features).

You cannot use black and white filters and get the same effects you would with B&W film. The digital sensor only sees in color. If you set your camera to monochrome, the camera is just converting it. If you want to simulate B&W filter effects in a digital conversion, you need to use something like PS's Black and White conversion (NOT desaturate). It allows you to lighten or darken the different colors in the converted image.

STM

I've been entertaining the idea of trying to do some B&W stuff. I would guess that I need at least a yellow-green filter and a green filter. They say you can get away with just having Y/G, orange, and red and that you really don't have to have orange and red. My deal is I like to do portraits so I suppose the Y/G would be good for outdoor stuff because of what it does to skies and clouds and the green would be good for indoor portraits because it softens light contrast and increases color contrast. At any rate if I ever do B&W I'm going to get some filters because just plain old vanilla B&W seems like it would be boring to me.

They also say B&W is more difficult to pull of then color stuff.

Ansel Adams said it was always harder to make a technically perfect B&W print than a technically perfect color one and who knew more about B&W than he did?

As for filters, what you start off with will depend entirely on what you want to shoot. Red filters are useful for increasing contrast in blues, like darkening a blue sky, and also increase contrast overall. Yellow tend to render black and white closer in values to what our eyes see. Green filters render skin tones (caucasian) more naturally. Orange works about half way between red and yellow. Yellow green does essentially NOTHING for skies. I am not sure where you heard or read that. If you want to increase contrast for skies and clouds, you use a RED filter

fiVe

Ansel Adams said it was always harder to make a technically perfect B&W print than a technically perfect color one and who knew more about B&W than he did? As for filters, what you start off with will depend entirely on what you want to shoot. Red filters are useful for increasing contrast in blues, like darkening a blue sky, and also increase contrast overall. Yellow tend to render black and white closer in values to what our eyes see. Green filters render skin tones (caucasian) more naturally. Orange works about half way between red and yellow. Yellow green does essentially NOTHING for skies. I am not sure where you heard or read that. If you want to increase contrast for skies and clouds, you use a RED filter
This is some great info. Thanks for posting it.

Brian

Well- my Monochrome Nikon DSLR camera is 20 years old, and it's been 15 years since the DCS760m...

So if you want to shoot Monochrome Digital, Leica has one.

Red Filter, Leica M Monochrom, 35/1.7 Ultron at F4:

attachment.php

100% crop:

chimney_monochrom

Leica M9 (color camera), 35/1.7 Ultron at F4, Red Filter simulated used Nik Silver Efex2.

attachment.php

chimney_m9_converted

at 100% crop, you can see the artifacts introduced from converting the color image to Monochrome. Simulating a red filter throws away info from the Blue and Green channels, a Simulated yellow filter throws away about half of the information.

Brian

A Red filter for portraits- "almost" an IR quality, and does filter out acne.

1950 Jupiter-3 5cm F1.5 "Sonnar", wide-open on the M Monochrom. This is an interesting lens, made in April 1945 in Germany and brought to Russia. Sometime in 1950, used for "assembly practice". It did not work, the optics had to be re-positioned in it. Took me a while to figure out, then converted it to the Leica. It was originally held into a Contax mount with sewing string.

attachment.php

alex6speed

Why not? Lets add a novice shot! :p (I also realized what a green filter + desaturation does ... very awesome).

DSC_0007_BW.jpg

EDIT: After looking at some other examples, maybe a little more Photoshop time is necessary