Auto X

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Last weekend I was out shooting at an Auto X event (and racing). Unlike my last attempt I got what I wanted out of some of the pics. Next time I'm bringing a monopod. A lot of my pics came out blurry.
DSC_0582.jpg

Hand held / manual mode / nd filter
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 18.0
Focal Length: 300mm

Joseph Bautsch

Good shot, John. Good tracking of the car at a slow shutter speed to blur out the background. A couple of suggestions. Try to get shots with the light on the camera side of the car. As it is it's in the shadows. Even though you did a good job tracking the car at 1/60 sec. there is still a small amount of camera shake. As you indicate a monopod or better yet a tripod with a pan head will help with the camera shake problem. Also in cropping I would give the shot a little more room in front. As it is it looks to be a little cramped.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Thanks Joe - Yeah, the sun wasn't in the best position and I was getting some glare off of the cars. I got lucky with this one as most of my 300mm shots were too blurry.

Jaynometry

Shooting at a track requires movement and tons of practice. I don't think a monopod or especially a tripod would help much because they can be quite restricting and it might be too slow to give you that swinging pan action. Technique will out-do all the gear you can bring - try tucking in your shoulders and hold the lens at the end of the barrel for more support. As a general rule of thumb, you'd want the shutter speed to be close where your focal length is. 1/60 SS with a 300mm FL is quite slow, and it'll be really hard to walk home with tack sharp shots. Have you tried 1/300? Or just a click slower?

ohkphoto

Snow White
You might also try using a remote cord. I know I move the camera when I press the shutter. It's almost an unconscious movement and very slight, but at a slow shutter speed, it'll show up.
Good shot, and I definitely agree with Joseph on the cropping and the light, although the lighting is sometimes not in our control.

. . . and this is post #2000 for me! LOL

fotojack

I shoot at a motorcycle track, all hand held, and like Jaynometry said, it takes a fair bit of practice to be able to pan smoothly. Motorcycles are smaller than cars, too, so it's even more difficult to get sharp photos. Here's an example of the kind of shot I get:

View attachment 4371
Aperture Mode
ISO 200
220mm focal length
1/250th sec
F8

Jaynometry

^That's what I mean about the Shutter Speed. At 300mm, you won't need 1/60th to achieve the blur you want.

Here are some of my most recent

5879177230_0b7706754b_o.jpg
Shutter Priority
120mm
1/125
f/9

5650715538_ca5d9821b2_o.jpg
Shutter Priority
38mm
1/80
f/16

Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Thanks for the suggestions. By the end of the heat I was shooting at 1/80 and that seemed to help a little. At 1/300 I wasn't getting the blur I wanted, maybe because the cars are only going around 30mph?

Actualy, here's the same car (different day) at 1/320:
DSC_0156.jpg

ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/320 sec
Aperture: 4.8
Focal Length: 116mm

Jaynometry

You know what, you're right. The car's speed has a lot to do with it. But 1/60 or 1/80 would be really tough to pull off at 300mm. There's no possible way you can stand closer so you can use shorter focal lengths?

Joseph Bautsch

John, believe all the advice you are getting for the shots you want, hand held, 300mm = 1/300sec, 200mm=1/200sec. and so on. If you have VR turn it on at those speeds or any slower. (Do not use Active VR while panning shots). Using a monopod will help. It is a little more restrictive but will give you better shots with some practice using it.