Assign Fn1, Fn2, Fn3 on Z8 (urgent)

blackstar

Something strange and bothersome happened! Last week I enjoyed shooting wildlife with my new Z8 + Z186 + TC1.4. I had preset some custom functions assigned to 4 buttons: fn1= 3D AF area, fn2= subject detection OFF, fn3= Auto area+Auto detection, and video= cycle AF area. It all worked perfectly (at least as I remembered). Today, I thought I would like to assign a button to switch release mode (burst speed) and the previous fn2 assignment is useless (sort of). So I decided to re-assign the fn2 button for release mode. After done re-assigning, every assigned button became crazy: press fn2, and it's fine; then press fn1 or fn3 they all did what fn2 did! Dip into the menu to check fn1 and fn3, they are all changed to fn2 setting! Re-assign fn1 and fn3 back to the previous assignment. Press fn1 it's fine, but press fn3 or fn2 they all did what fn1 did! That is the button first pressed will take over the other two buttons' settings and cause them useless (or redundant). Only the video button assignment still works fine. So far I have not touched both shooting menu banks and custom shooting banks, doubt anything is related to them. I am losing my mind now... Hope someone here can give a quick help. Appreciate.

blackstar

Update: In Z9, Z8, there is only one button that can be assigned by RSF(H) -Recall Shooting Functions(Hold)- to toggle two settings. Any other buttons assigned by RSF(H) for toggling other settings will be washed to toggle the same settings assigned by the first button! This poor customization feature has many NPS to bombard Nikon with complaints and request resolution... Nothing up yet.

Still something strange about the custom setting: I assign Fn2 = virtual horizon and it works fine that after pressing the button, the virtual horizon line is displayed. Press again the line is gone. Then I assign Fn1=AF area 3D and it works reversely that it needs press+hold to maintain 3D. Release will return to the original AF area. Can't use it that way! Very confused and disappointed with the custom settings so far... (The only button I assigned by RSF(H) is now Fn3 = Auto AF area + Auto SD (Subject Detect). I think I need it more than toggling burst speed.)