Aperture 3 or Lightroom 4

dynamo_31

Found on another forum. Do you agree with what is said?

Below is a non-extensive list of the strengths and weaknesses of each - at least what I've found so far (I'm running both Aperture 3.3.1 and LR4.1)

Aperture's strengths:

• Project based management
  • Improved/faster importing
  • Option for both managed and referenced libraries (Lightroom only does referenced)
  • Book printer options - Apple does an excellent job. There are also three other book printers that have plugins for Aperture
  • Nik and OnOne plugins seem to work better/faster
  • Retouching brushes
  • Better OS X integration, integration with iCloud and iOS devices.

Aperture's weakesses:

• Lack of lens correction or custom camera profiles (plugin available for lens correction)
  • White Balance and Hightlight/Shadow, although updated, don't match Lightroom's capabilities
  • Recovery slider not as effective as LR4's White/Black sliders
  • Fewer presets available
  • Stability - prior to v. 3.3.1, there have been some stability issues

Lightroom's strengths:

• Develop module has been updated. Highlight/Shadow and White/Black sliders have been reworked.
  • Broader acceptace, more training and presets available
  • Multiple book templates
  • Print presets

Lightroom's weaknesses:

• SLOOOOWWWWW - this is the biggest complaint (check the Adobe forums). Very slow switching between modules.
  • Image/file/folder organization is confusing (use of Folders and Collections)
  • Print module can be confusing
  • Slideshow and Web modules have not been updated since v.2
  • Adobe is slow to provide updates (took 3 months between original release and v. 4.1 to address a major problem with plugins not working).
  • Heavily dependent upon Photoshop for retouching/editing

Dave9072

Yes, I would agree with those for the most part.

Let me throw a new wrinkle in. I'm playing around with a new workflow that uses DxO Optics Pro to perform RAW conversion and probably 90% of all optical and geometric corrections and then hands off to Aperture for image polishing, management and publishing. So far I'm very impressed with DxO Optics Pro. Not for everybody I'm sure, but you might want to check it out.

DxO Optics Pro - Introduction

Going to try and attach a simple diagram of the workflow I'm playing around with.

Attachments

• DxO_Optics_Pro_Photo_Workflow.pdf
    175.2 KB · Views: 300

dynamo_31

Yes, I would agree with those for the most part.

Let me throw a new wrinkle in. I'm playing around with a new workflow that uses DxO Optics Pro to perform RAW conversion and probably 90% of all optical and geometric corrections and then hands off to Aperture for image polishing, management and publishing. So far I'm very impressed with DxO Optics Pro. Not for everybody I'm sure, but you might want to check it out.

DxO Optics Pro - Introduction

Interesting. Looks good, but maybe too advanced for me at the moment. Although definitely something to keep an eye on for when I really develop my photography.

BooBoos

I am going through the same as everyone else Apature 3 or lightroom 4.I see a free lightroom 4 user manuel here.Wondering if ther is a apature 3 free user manuel floating around. I would like to read up on both if possible. I am leaning towards apature 3 for ease of use.
​Thank You for the help

BackdoorArts

There's nothing hard about using Lightroom. It's a great tool with an easy learning curve that will get you doing power stuff. And more importantly in my book is that if you decide you really want to get into the post-processing game down the road, Lightroom is fast becoming the the pro's choice as a workflow manager for the rest of the Photoshop suite, replacing Adobe Bridge. It's got the full version of Adobe Camera RAW built into it, tools for publishing to the web, making slideshows, photo books, and even Soft Proofing of your photo for various output media to allow you to see and adjust where the colors you have in your photos would go beyond the ability of the output media (website, printer, etc.) to reproduce them (no more printing 7 versions of a picture wondering why the reds in your photo won't reproduce ... it's because they can't on your printer!!).

Better than a free manual, download a free 30 day (or is it 60 day?) trial of Lightroom 4 and have at it.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Found on another forum. Do you agree with what is said?

Below is a non-extensive list of the strengths and weaknesses of each - at least what I've found so far (I'm running both Aperture 3.3.1 and LR4.1)

Aperture's strengths:

• Project based management
  • Improved/faster importing
  • Option for both managed and referenced libraries (Lightroom only does referenced)
  • Book printer options - Apple does an excellent job. There are also three other book printers that have plugins for Aperture
  • Nik and OnOne plugins seem to work better/faster
  • Retouching brushes
  • Better OS X integration, integration with iCloud and iOS devices.

Aperture's weakesses:

• Lack of lens correction or custom camera profiles (plugin available for lens correction)
  • White Balance and Hightlight/Shadow, although updated, don't match Lightroom's capabilities
  • Recovery slider not as effective as LR4's White/Black sliders
  • Fewer presets available
  • Stability - prior to v. 3.3.1, there have been some stability issues

Lightroom's strengths:

• Develop module has been updated. Highlight/Shadow and White/Black sliders have been reworked.
  • Broader acceptace, more training and presets available
  • Multiple book templates
  • Print presets

Lightroom's weaknesses:

• SLOOOOWWWWW - this is the biggest complaint (check the Adobe forums). Very slow switching between modules.
  • Image/file/folder organization is confusing (use of Folders and Collections)
  • Print module can be confusing
  • Slideshow and Web modules have not been updated since v.2
  • Adobe is slow to provide updates (took 3 months between original release and v. 4.1 to address a major problem with plugins not working).
  • Heavily dependent upon Photoshop for retouching/editing

This list seems VERY old. Aperture does lens corrections, Lightroom has retouching capabilities. My guess is this was published around the time that LR2 was the latest version.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I have a mac

What version of OS X are you using? Here are the specs that you need for the latest version on a Mac:Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
  • Mac OS X v10.6.8, 10.7, or v10.8
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 1GB of available hard-disk space
  • 1024x768 display