Anyone Tried Photo AI Yet?

Woodyg3

Contributor
I gave Photo AI a quick test today. For those not familiar, it is a new product by Topaz that combines the capabilities of DeNoise, Sharpen and Gigapixel into one program. It is designed to automate the process through AI, but you can input your own settings.

You can work on a RAW file in Lightroom, and create a DNG file, by using a new Plug-in Extra option on the File menu. It's kinda' slow when creating the new DNG, which is disappointing.

All in all, I found that the automation is only okay. For instance on a file where the subject had motion blur, it identified the subject correctly, but did not suggest or apply motion blur correction. On the three picture files I tried today, I also tried using regular DeNoise and Sharpen if needed, and I felt like I got slightly better results with the later.

Here's a weird thing, when using Photo AI, the files came out with significant increase in saturation and I think a slight color warming, which should not be a part the AI in this application. Strange.

Anyway, has anyone else given this a go? Thoughts?

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

Yes...I've been working on it from it's first beta... There's a feeling that it might have been released a bit early...and the beta team has had to remind more than a few folks that it does 3 things, and don't allow "feature creep" to slow that progress by adding too much too quickly...

There was/is an early issue with what/how PAI uses color spaces... which you've experienced...Along with selecting specific noise and sharpening models... The sharpen module, even when turned down to 1, seems to add more sharpening than the stand-alone Sharpen program...

The product has made significant strides the last few weeks... <--It gets an update every Thursday afternoon... or more frequently, (like today) if there's a significant issue...

The direction it's headed for is a single product that incorporates the functionality of Sharpening, DeNoise, and Upscaling... with a significant increase in automation... Lens correction was just added this past week...

We're looking for the automatic processes to be refined to a Preferences menu whereby the user can fully automate all the functions or turn everything off and turn on individual features...

Selecting/Deselecting faces and subjects at this point is crude and automatic AI. That presents many issues, and we're looking for a lot of user selectivity in that area...

nala

Photo AI is now a version 1.0.7 and is coming along very nicely. As I got it for free, I can't complain for its slowish progress. Should become an excellent app in the future.