Anyone have the new Nikon 70-300mm AF-P f4.5/6.3?

Glevum Owl

In answer to the original post, yes!

I took delivery of the AF-P DX 70-300 as an early birthday present a few days ago. I've only had time to take a few test shots indoors but I'm pleased with the initial handling and results. Small, light, cheap and fast to focus compared to the 18-55 kit lens and plenty sharp enough for my modest needs. I'll post anything decent I take with it.

Osantacruz

In answer to the original post, yes!

I took delivery of the AF-P DX 70-300 as an early birthday present a few days ago. I've only had time to take a few test shots indoors but I'm pleased with the initial handling and results. Small, light, cheap and fast to focus compared to the 18-55 kit lens and plenty sharp enough for my modest needs. I'll post anything decent I take with it.
Yeah having finally used it, it's a pretty good lens. I'm happy with it though definitely recommend people stay away from the non VR version. Not worth the minimal savings

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Glevum Owl

A quick shot to get a feel for the VR and see the detail. Shot handheld at full stretch (300mm) from across the room. The pink thing, bottom left, is a chair back, *not* my thumb or finger.

VR is great for my usually unsteady hand. The detail is fine for my needs too.

20170301-_DSC2882.jpgNew Lens Close Up.jpg

Last edited:

Osantacruz

Nice. I may have to look into it myself for the D500. It would be a great for going to the zoo with. Not having to lug the 200-500 around with a bunch of people around.
Yeah that was my main reason for getting it. The Tamron 150-600 is a pain to carry around. This lens is light and gives me quite a bit of reach.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Glevum Owl

Full moon and a clear sky last night so a chance to try out the new lens.
Left = Unedited JPEG exported from LR.
Right = edited and cropped in LR.
_DSC2899-before.jpg_DSC2899.jpg

Last edited:

Lalam

Cropped version of 300mm zoom. The lens is quite good in quick focusing.
Nikon AF-P DX 70-300 at 300mm S=1/500, A=6.3, ISO=400 Edited.
Bird_300mm_D8923.jpg

gunfighter48

Cropped version of 300mm zoom. The lens is quite good in quick focusing.
Nikon AF-P DX 70-300 at 300mm S=1/500, A=6.3, ISO=400 Edited.
View attachment 248074

Excellent detail in the birds feathers and very sharp focus on the large branch it's standing on. I can't see anything to complain about. I had the older FX version and it gave me the same results that you got with the new model. I have the 70-300 5.6-6.3 but have had time to get it out and do some test shots with it.

Lalam

Excellent detail in the birds feathers and very sharp focus on the large branch it's standing on. I can't see anything to complain about.
Thanks. The best part is I can carry my camera with 18-55, 35mm & this 70-300 in a camera shoulder bag. Thanks to reduced size and weight of these new lenses.

Last edited:

Glevum Owl

I'm still getting used to his lens so to force myself to use it, I took it as my only lens to an airport open day locally. The auto focus on this lens is fast! I managed to get a handful of images with which I was pleased. They're edited, cropped and in my gallery. Sorry but I couldn't work out how to post gallery images into a thread.:dispirited: