6847073700_93372dba28_b.jpg

2 SB900
1 on 40 inch umbrella softbox slightly above and in front of model
1 slightly back right side of model gridded
triggered by Nikon CLS

Ranie

6868330504_042b4dddd4_b.jpg

Strobes and triggers by Paul C. Buff
1 einstien with honycomb grid slightly back right of model (rim)
1 einstien in a 48 in octabox with grid left of model (rim)
1 einstien in a beauty dish 45 degrees slightly above of model (main)
1 ABR800 ringlight right side of photographer (fill light)
Paul Buff CST trigger
Paul Buff CSRB reciever

Ranie

7076556921_e6ecb2c3b4_b.jpg

D90 & 60mm F2.8 Micro
3 SB900 with grids and gels
1 SB900 left above subject with 40 degrees grid
1 SB900 right of camera with 20 degree grid (gelled blue)
1 SB900 further right of subject with 20 degree grid (gelled orange)
all triggered by Nikon CLS

Ranie

7116138239_e6e08cf764_b.jpg

Had a commissioned shoot for a magazine feature today

3 light set-up
1 SB900 camera left with grid
1 SB900 with Gary Fong Lightsphere with CTO full camera right
1 SB900 with grid beside camera for subjects face
Triggered by Nikon CLS

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
View attachment 10520

Had a commissioned shoot for a magazine feature today

3 light set-up
1 SB900 camera left with grid
1 SB900 with Gary Fong Lightsphere with CTO full camera right
1 SB900 with grid beside camera for subjects face
Triggered by Nikon CLS

Nice shot Ranie, but it seems his right sleeve is completely burnt. I would have backed the left SB900 and brought it up higher just to have more of a backlight instead of a side light.
But it's still a very nice shot and these are not that easy to make. They are easier to critic ;)
Nice work my friend!

Ranie

Nice shot Ranie, but it seems his right sleeve is completely burnt. I would have backed the left SB900 and brought it up higher just to have more of a backlight instead of a side light.
But it's still a very nice shot and these are not that easy to make. They are easier to critic ;)
Nice work my friend!

Thanks Marcel
Kitchen was so cramped had to improvise
I even have to hold the other SB900 gridded to his face.
Shot this one hand.
No to mention everytime we make another take and the fire flares up, feels like an oven in full blast.

Ranie

6978476594_dbf045be02_b.jpg

2006 Honda Monkey Fully Restored
4 light set-up
1 SB900 on a strip box directly above motor bike
2 SB600 beamed on each tire with 40 degree grid
1 SB900 with 20 degree grid of front of bike to light up the head light and front portion of bike
triggered by Paul C. Buff CST and CSRB

simonhodge

Well i just had my first ever studio shoot which was for an amateur actor who wants to create a portfolio. I knew the guy was rather fussy and had specific ideas which made me very nervous but in the end i really enjoyed the experience and am really pleased with the results. I have included one of my favorite shots and a link to a small collection of the best of them.

DSC08907_pp.JPG

Trevor Adams portfolio shoot - a set on Flickr

Thanks

Ranie

8157169404_1506d15841_c.jpg

Reviving this thread
This is for a local magazine
Shot with 2 SB900 on a large soft box directly above subject
2 SB900 on each side (gelled blue and red) for accent
All triggered by Nikon CLS

LouCioccio

Here are 3 done outside using 1-flash and a light stand and the most important piece of equipment is flash/ambient light meter doesn't mater which brand but one that will read the ambient and the percentage of flash 30 to 40 % is my sweet spot. Once you figure what your flashes can do at let say 10 foot you will know how powerful or less power you need as you move it. I just got the D7000 but I am shooting a mix system of Olympus. The 3 images are Olympus but this is to show what 30% flash will do all in manual mode. BTW its my granddaughter. Lou Cioccio
PA042216.jpgPA042217.jpgPA042218.jpg

RockyNH_RIP

Reviving this thread
This is for a local magazine
Shot with 2 SB900 on a large soft box directly above subject
2 SB900 on each side (gelled blue and red) for accent
All triggered by Nikon CLS

Ranie,

I was just looking through this thread and really impressed with your work. I am just a beginner and will be playing around with 2 light setups to start... Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your work.

Pat in NH

Ranie

Ranie,

I was just looking through this thread and really impressed with your work. I am just a beginner and will be playing around with 2 light setups to start... Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your work.

Pat in NH

Pat, thanks also for those kind words. Im also learning here and have barely scratched what our toys can achieve. Photography is a never ending quest for learning more. Sometimes we just need some inspiration :)

LouCioccio

Pat,

Thanks. I have been using iTunes to save my podcasts for awhile but never got a chance to get into them. In 2010 I weighed the heaviest for a (used to be 5'6" now 5'4" we shrink) at 217 lbs and had to have knee surgery for a torn meniscus so I decided to do my own therapy by riding a stationary bike at least every day for 60 min and averaging 11.5 to 12 miles per hour;not a speed "daemon" as my son can do 28mph on his bike. Now I am catching up on all my podcast the one I saw was on using Sekonic L358 and using speed lights, ambient and the flash meter never knowing what the % sign meant. Found out how to use it to get 30 to 40% and if you go higher the background gets darker.

Oh I am averaging around 180 and need to go down further.

Again Thanks,

Lou Cioccio

STM

Is anyone else into off-camera flash lighting, a la Strobist style?

In a previous thread, I posed a question about non-Nikon flashes. Yesterday I decided to take the plunge to start building my setup and did in fact buy the Strobist recommended LumoPro LP160. Initially, my setup will be very similar to this one from MPEX.

What remote triggers are you guys using? Pocket Wizards seems to be the most popular, and expensive for that matter...which is the problem for me. I can't justify the expense, and have considered the Gadget Infinity brand, which are 1/10th of the price. Does anyone have experience with those?

I have been using Britek studio strobes for over 20 years (the same ones actually!) and they are terrific. The two 550 W/S units are in softboxes and the rest I use to illuminate backgrounds or as a hairlight with a snoot. I also use the small ones as strobes for my light tent. All have built in slaves so all I have to do is use a single RF transmitter in the hot shoe and a single receiver in one of the 550 W/S strobes. I got an RF transmitter and 4 receivers on Fleabay for about $60 and they work great. These were designed expressly for studio strobes because their PC male pin is larger than your standard camera PC male pin. When I do location work I use my two Sunpak 544's screwed into light stands (they have a standard 4-20 tripod socket in the bottom of the handle) in manual, both with another set of RF receivers and a transmitter in the hot shoe. They have worked out past 100 feet with no problems.

Last edited: