another lens issue

Scott Ramsey

Okay, I stopped to take a sunset picture on the Blue Ridge Parkway, set up my camera for bracketing, and got this with my Rokinon 24mm lens. This is the overexposed of these three but the under and properly exposed all have the same effect. I took about 20 of these before I realized what was happening and switched lenses. It did not do this with another lens. When I put the 24mm back on, the sun was about gone but it did not do this again. Any ideas as to what could have caused it?
018.jpg

WayneF

I think it is an internal reflection inside the lens. Taking a picture of the sun, and its reflection from one internal lens element, back towards the front, and then reflecting back from that front element.

Anti-reflection coatings help, but lenses do that. Lens hoods can help keep the sun out of the lens, but not when straight into it like here.

The Nikon 14-24mm lens is sort of bad about doing this too.

800_7910.jpg

This was not even into a light, but instead was a test picture of about nine feet of blank wall, illuminated by flash.

Last edited:

Scott Ramsey

I think it is an internal reflection inside the lens. Taking a picture of the sun, and its reflection from one internal lens element, back towards the front, and then reflecting back from that front element.

Anti-reflection coatings help, but lenses do that. Lens hoods can help keep the sun out of the lens, but not when straight into it like here.

The Nikon 14-24mm lens is sort of bad about doing this too.

This was not even into a light, but instead was a test picture of about nine feet of blank wall, illuminated by flash.

I've done sunsets with this lens before with no issue. This time though, the sun was a little higher in the sky and very bright so maybe the angle and brightness caused it?

WayneF

I don't know, but apparently so... it happened. Something to watch out for in the future.

It's a pretty good picture, instead you could say it was a special effect done intentionally, with great difficulty. :)

RON_RIP

I like the shot as is. It has a special character that a more perfect shot might not have. And, of course, being on the Blue Ridge is about as good as it ever gets.

Scott Ramsey

I like the shot as is. It has a special character that a more perfect shot might not have. And, of course, being on the Blue Ridge is about as good as it ever gets.

Thanks and I agree, it don't get no better than the Blue Ridge Parkway. Here's
One from this summer, same spot without the "special character"

image.jpg

STM

Okay, I stopped to take a sunset picture on the Blue Ridge Parkway, set up my camera for bracketing, and got this with my Rokinon 24mm lens. This is the overexposed of these three but the under and properly exposed all have the same effect. I took about 20 of these before I realized what was happening and switched lenses. It did not do this with another lens. When I put the 24mm back on, the sun was about gone but it did not do this again. Any ideas as to what could have caused it?
View attachment 116592

My first thought was that it was veiling flare, but that does not have well defined edges like that.

The EXIF says f/11 but I would not expect to see that kind of pattern closed down that far. If it is an internal reflection I suspect that it is off of an element behind the aperture blades otherwise you would see a pattern of the aperture to it.

It can be fixed in PS (super quick and dirty here and by no means perfect and I only did half) but it will be a lot of somewhat tedious and painstaking work.

Scott Ramsey

I wonder if a simple movement of the lens either up or down or side to side would keep it from happening. I'll have to try and replicate it. At the time it happened I was losing the sun so I changed lenes and kept shooting. My 24mm-85mm didn't seem to have that problem even at the exact camera angle.

STM

I don't know, but apparently so... it happened. Something to watch out for in the future.

It's a pretty good picture, instead you could say it was a special effect done intentionally, with great difficulty. :)

You could always say it was a special purpose Cokin filter! They have so many of them, who would be the wiser? :)

WayneF

The EXIF says f/11 but I would not expect to see that kind of pattern closed down that far. If it is an internal reflection I suspect that it is off of an element behind the aperture blades otherwise you would see a pattern of the aperture to it.

If behind the aperture, f/11 at 24 mm is only about 2 mm diameter, and the frame is 36mm wide. It is pretty large, maybe a reflection of the front element?

WayneF

The Sun is fairly near dead center. Maybe that one position is just some sort of quirk? But shooting directly into the Sun is a tough deal, flare just happens. If you can use up near f/22, you can get a star pattern.

Eyelight

My guess would be a smaller surface reflecting onto a larger element producing a round reflection that is smaller than the angle of view.

Scott Ramsey

Thanks to all who replied. I field tested the lens and was able to replicate the issue by pointing the camera directly at the sun. If I move a little to the left or right it does not happen so guess I'll need to watch out. I don't usually do sunsets pointed directly toward the sun (don't like the composition) so it should not be a problem going forward. Thanks again!