Adobe Creative Suite Apps Now Subscription Only

jwstl

Adobe has decided to make it's Creative Suite applications subscription only via their "Creative Cloud". You can still buy the current version of the Creative Suite apps but any future features/versions will require a subscription. They will now be called CC apps: Photoshop CC, Indesign CC etc...

Adobe Creative Cloud

"In order to accelerate the rate at which we deliver new features and services, and to ensure that we do so with the highest level of quality, we are focusing all of our efforts on Creative Cloud.Given this, the CC applications will be available only as part of Creative Cloud. We will continue to sell and support Adobe Creative Suite® 6 applications, and will provide bug fixes and security updates as necessary. We do not, however, have any current plans to release new versions of our CS applications."

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
Say goodbye to ever owning CS7 on your hard drive. Which makes you wonder what all the Topaz's and Nik's in the world are going to do now. I, for one, will never pay $50 a month just to edit my images so maybe these plug-in makers will either make new plug-ins that capture the newer features of CS7 and up or they'll all go belly up and we'll forever be stuck using CS6. Either way, I think it's a sucky way to treat your long-term customers.

jwstl

Pricing for current customers is considerably cheaper than $50 a month but I'm still not sure I like it.

​Here are a couple of relevant sections from the "letter" I posted:

We also announced that given the focus on deeper integration between our creative tools and cloud services, we are changing how we refer to our creative applications. CS is now CC, the next generation of our apps integrated with Creative Cloud. Our new CC applications, such as Photoshop® CC, Illustrator® CC, and InDesign® CC, incorporate an increasingly integrated set of creative services that let you work where and how you want and connect you to the people you collaborate with as well as the larger creative community.

In order to accelerate the rate at which we deliver new features and services, and to ensure that we do so with the highest level of quality, we are focusing all of our efforts on Creative Cloud.
Given this, the CC applications will be available only as part of Creative Cloud. We will continue to sell and support Adobe Creative Suite® 6 applications, and will provide bug fixes and security updates as necessary. We do not, however, have any current plans to release new versions of our CS applications.

BackdoorArts

I haven't looked into it because my use of most of that would be so sporadic, but I can't imagine ever renting the entire suite because I'd never need it. Maybe a basic monthly subscription that covers the minimal tools with a minimum time limit, like a cell plan. 12 months at $15/month gets you Photoshop. Other tools can be added at a flat fee or per use basis.

If nothing else, I'm happy with the tools I have, so I guess I should be thankful.

jwstl

There's special pricing right now for current customers. You can get a single app for 9.99/month with a one year commitment if you have CS3+.

Last edited:

AC016

Aside from the monthly subscription scheme, i think this is a great idea. I think we all have to remember that we don't "own" the software, even if it is on your computer. You are only paying for the "right" to use it. Therefore, whether it is in the "cloud" or on your computer, it makes no difference.

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. When you buy the software you actually own that copy and can sell it and or use it for your entire life. A subscription is very different. You cannot sell it and you cannot use it for the rest of your life without continuing to pay. In addition, if you own a copy of CS6 you can use it with or without the internet. So that when you find yourself up in the mountains or camping in the middle of the desert you can edit your images without having to use a satellite connection. So to me it makes a very big difference.

jwstl

Despite the name Creative Cloud, the apps are not actually in the cloud; you still download and install them on your computer. You just need a monthly/annual subscription to keep using. The only thing changing is the purchase method and the pricing. Instead of buying from a retailer, you buy a download from Adobe and instead of paying the full price upfront, you pay that monthly/annual subscription.

jwstl

In addition, if you own a copy of CS6 you can use it with or without the internet. So that when you find yourself up in the mountains or camping in the middle of the desert you can edit your images without having to use a satellite connection. So to me it makes a very big difference.

You don't need an internet connection to use the subscription:

​Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Cloud desktop applications?

No. Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.
You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 180 days even if you're offline.

Dave_W

The Dude
You don't need an internet connection to use the subscription: ​Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Cloud desktop applications?No. Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis. You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you'll be able to use products for 180 days even if you're offline.

Okay, point taken, but I still don't like the idea of an on-going subscription. It just doesn't feel right to me, almost like some sort of blackmail scheme.

AC016

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. When you buy the software you actually own that copy and can sell it and or use it for your entire life. A subscription is very different. You cannot sell it and you cannot use it for the rest of your life without continuing to pay. In addition, if you own a copy of CS6 you can use it with or without the internet. So that when you find yourself up in the mountains or camping in the middle of the desert you can edit your images without having to use a satellite connection. So to me it makes a very big difference.

Sorry Dave, but you do not "own" in the legal sense of the word, your Adobe software. Read the EULA. It is intellectual property that belongs to Adobe. You are only buying the right to use it, under Adobe's terms and conditions. Trust me on this one. If Adobe were to audit a company and found that they are breaking the EULA, Adobe can fine them.

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Gen_WWCombined-MULTI-20111031_1230.pdf

Dave_W

The Dude
Sorry Dave, but you do not "own" in the legal sense of the word, your Adobe software. Read the EULA. It is intellectual property that belongs to Adobe. You are only buying the right to use it, under Adobe's terms and conditions. Trust me on this one. If Adobe were to audit a company and found that they are breaking the EULA, Adobe can fine them.

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Gen_WWCombined-MULTI-20111031_1230.pdf

That's only semantics in as much as you do not own the actual "program" but you do "own" the right to use a single seat that is yours for the rest of your life. You can sell it or you can use it indefinitely with no time frame specified. So I still stand by my belief that owning a copy of CS6 is very much different from subscribing to CS6.
Btw - I'm pretty sure that link is in Arabic and unfortunately I'm not so good at reading Arabic. ;)

Horoscope Fish

I guess Adobe finally decided to do something about owning what are probably some of, and probably THE single, most pirated applications ever. I have no doubt that is what prompted this move. Makes me glad I have a legit, and physical, copy of CS6. I guess at some point I'll probably be forced to subscribe but, that being said, I'm not fond of this new delivery method either.

... owning a copy of CS6 is very much different from subscribing to CS6.
When it comes to software you do not own it in the sense you may not (legally) modify or redistribute the code that "is" the product. So I agree it is a semantic issue. You do "own" that physical copy of the software but you do not "own" the software itself. On a practical level it's splitting hairs.

What Adobe is doing by going to this Pay-As-You-Go plan is regaining a degree of control over illegal reproduction and distribution (pirating) of their software. At least for now...

Last edited:

jwstl

That's only semantics in as much as you do not own the actual "program" but you do "own" the right to use a single seat that is yours for the rest of your life. You can sell it or you can use it indefinitely with no time frame specified. So I still stand by my belief that owning a copy of CS6 is very much different from subscribing to CS6.
Btw - I'm pretty sure that link is in Arabic and unfortunately I'm not so good at reading Arabic. ;)

The PDF in the link is the license for all languages. English or your language of choice is in there somewhere. As to the concept of "owning", you never really did as the license does not allow you to resell. It wasn't enforceable but it's there. Now they don't have to worry about enforcing it.

4.6 No Transfer.
4.6.1 CUSTOMER WILL NOT RENT, LEASE, SELL, SUBLICENSE, ASSIGN, OR TRANSFER ITS RIGHTS IN
THE SOFTWARE (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, SOFTWARE OBTAINED THROUGH A WEB
DOWNLOAD), OR AUTHORIZE ANY PORTION OF THE SOFTWARE TO BE COPIED ONTO ANOTHER
INDIVIDUAL OR LEGAL ENTITY’S COMPUTER EXCEPT AS MAY BE EXPRESSLY PERMITTED HEREIN.

stmv

actually, I don't think CS allows reselling, just try registering that used copy, and you will find it rejected even when you have a legit copy.

I bought a used copy of CS5 from a Amazon major retailer, and it turned out to not allow true registering, I spent hours on the phone with Adobe to get an "exception" a pain.

I do have a problem with 50 dollars a month, that sounds extreme. So,, I hope my copy / machine with CS6 lasts a very long time.

We are becoming a nation of renters,, remember when cable bills were reasonable, now it is extortion,

Happypuppy

Adobe has always had one if the most restrictive license agreements. Most software companies use the analogy of a book. A book can be bought sold but not copied or reprinted.

I don't like the lack if freedom of choice , adobe and there installation of all this crapware to advise you if updates etc.

I am old enough to remember postscript typefaces stranglehold Adobe held until Microsoft killed the market

This is the same heavy handed game and I don't like it.

Maybe Apple , Microsoft will step up.

jwstl

There's going to be a huge backlash but I'm not sure it will have any affect. It's easy to do what you please even if it angers your customers when there's no good alternative to your key products. You want to know the real reason Lightroom and Elements remain as non-subscription products: because there are good alternatives for those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD