a general lens questions asap please!!

Blacktop

Yeah, in your situation, CD, I'd opt for the 35. Great lens. Strangely enough, nobody mentioned the 18-55 or the 18-105 lens for landscapes! The 18mm focal length will give you a wider FOV for landscapes. It doesn't have the light gathering ability of the f1.8 lenses, but you did say landscape, and I don't know many people who take landscape shots at night. :)

While I'm at it here, where are you situated on the planet? Prices vary all over the world, so it would be nice to know where you are, so we could give you an idea of the prices of gear where you live. :)

I was going to mention it, but figured the OP has the 18-55 that came with his D5200, unless he bought the body only. But yes, the 18-55 is a great lens for landscape, and if if it's in low light just stick in on a tripod.

Woodyg3

Contributor
The 18-55 is a decent lens that won't break the bank. Primes are great, but if you want versatility at an affordable price point, the basic zooms would be my recommendation. Don't worry too much about whether your lens is "pro" quality, I've taken some great shots with the kit 18-55 I got ten years ago.

if you decide to go with the 35, which is a great lens, I would keep the 50, too, if you can afford to. That will be a better lens for portraits.

Last edited:

Michael J.

I'm just on my vacation and used my 35mm at the night market. I have to say that almost three days now I am using my Nikon 16-85mm and it is the perfect lens for my needs. Landscape, seascape, temples, Floating market, etc..

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

J-see

If you haven't got the 18-55mm it indeed is a good option. I'd buy used however since they are available en masse online. Many of them hardly have seen use and are pretty cheap because of the amount available.

I still got mine and although it isn't the same quality as the primes, it does take a good shot. Unless night, the 1.8 matters less outside. It's not an aperture used a lot in landscape since you need some DoF and when light gets low, you pod. I always pod these days, low light or not.

weebee

I've used my 18-140 for landscape shots and the results are pretty good. But, if a prime is what you want. I too, would recommend the 35. Or go a few more dollars and get the 40mm micro. A decent double duty lenses.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I would get a 100-105 mm macro....you can use it for portraits and macro.....probably my next lens. I could kick myself in the buttocks for selling the one I had.

CD1982

I was going to mention it, but figured the OP has the 18-55 that came with his D5200, unless he bought the body only. But yes, the 18-55 is a great lens for landscape, and if if it's in low light just stick in on a tripod.
i am in abilene texas i can get a select few lens at the local best buy. like the 50mm and 35mm our best buy is small and has very small camera section...
anything else i would have to order because this town has nothing. i do have the 18-55 kit lens but not happy with none of the MINOR landscaope shots i shoot..

i can see this post has gone way off topic lol!! so if that is the case
come tax return time if i dont take both lens back before jan 15th i may very well order the sigma 10-20mm for nikon....
i would love the 10-24mm nikon lens but i cant swing 800$
i have seen very nice shots from the sigma 10-20mm and its 400$ new from places online...

weebee

i am in abilene texas i can get a select few lens at the local best buy. like the 50mm and 35mm our best buy is small and has very small camera section...
anything else i would have to order because this town has nothing. i do have the 18-55 kit lens but not happy with none of the MINOR landscaope shots i shoot..

i can see this post has gone way off topic lol!! so if that is the case
come tax return time if i dont take both lens back before jan 15th i may very well order the sigma 10-20mm for nikon....
i would love the 10-24mm nikon lens but i cant swing 800$
i have seen very nice shots from the sigma 10-20mm and its 400$ new from places online...

And at times you can get the Sigma 10-20mm used at a decent price.

CD1982

no offence but im just not into used equipment i know you can find good price deals on them.
its just to much of hastle sometimes

Whiskeyman

It seems as though budget is a big factor for you right now. If that is the case, and you need (re, really, really want) a fast prime lens, purchase the one that costs less. (35mm DX?)

Keep in mind, though, that when you buy any lens, you are compromising on what that lens can do and must compensate for it when you shoot. There is always a tradeoff, but hopefully, between the 35 and 50, it is a slight one that you can work around.

WM

CD1982

well i have both lens i like them somewhat debaiting on to take them both back or not.. reguardless my next lens will be the sigma 10-20mm for nikon