70mm - 200mm F2.8 Sigma, Tamron or Nikkor?

slowpoke

I have the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 os new in May 2012.I also have the sigma 2x Teleconverter.This is one shot from acouple weeks age.
DSC_7371 (1280x848).jpg

Samsonite

Mmmm interesting stuff, so would you guys say its even worth splashing out for a sigma / tamron 80 - 200 F2.8, then eventually sell it on to buy a Nikon one, or should I just save up to get a Nikon one first time round?

Its more the ''F2.8'' that interests me, because as far as focal length goes, Ive pretty much that already covered with my Nikon 70 - 300 AFS...

Rick M

I've learned the hard way to save up and get the best. If you don't and you obsess over such things, you will always wonder.

Samsonite

Fair enough Mate! Its a steep Price but will try save up for it... Whats the general consensus around used glass? Worth getting a lens second hand?

Samsonite

By the way, came across a brand called Kenko whilst looking at Teleconverters, has anyone used them before? Theyre significantly cheaper than Nikon Teleconverters... Any reviews?

Rick M

By the way, came across a brand called Kenko whilst looking at Teleconverters, has anyone used them before? Theyre significantly cheaper than Nikon Teleconverters... Any reviews?

I have not used them, hopefully others will reply, but..., If you're going to put a teleconverter on the best zoom, don't you want the best?

Samsonite

Well I would want the best, just wondering if Nikon would be more expensive as part of a branding exercise, rather than also being higher quality... Like the example of all jeans being made in the same factory, with different labels put on them, some are sold for $10, and others for $300 :)

Geoffc

I have the Nikon VRII and it's awesome. I have not tried the others but did try the VRI and 80-200 which I didn't find as good. Maybe it was be but the VRII has been perfect from day one. If you get the VR II you will never look back or wonder what if.

Samsonite

I've read that the VRII is more of a luxury than a Necessity, the article states that the VRI is just as sharp, and that VRII is just better in low light and at shutter speeds of longer than 1/500. Would you agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

NVSteve

Didn't Nikon bring out the VR11 because the VR1 vignettes on FX cameras...

Yes, but the bigger problem is that the VR is not so great on the borders/edges, whereas the VRII supposedly fixes that. If I absolutely had to get one of the Nikons, I'd get the VRII simply because the VRs that are out there are a bit long in the tooth. There is a big difference in price though, from $1200-1300 used for a VR, or $2300+ for the VRII (not including the current $300 off instant rebate). I'd rather go for something new & not out of warranty. Then there is the issue of focus breathing with the VRII, if that is of any concern whatsoever. I can personally afford the VRII, but I can't justify the cost-not for something I would use only a handful of times each year. For someone who normally uses those focal lengths & needs the 2.8, I think the VRII would be great. Or the f4 if one doesn't need 2.8.

Rasmus

So basically the Tamron and Sigma are cheaper because they are lower quality than the Nikon Lens. Not just a branding exercise...?

The new Tamron comes very close... But it's also priced pretty close to the nikons.

I'd go for a nikon v1 on crop and v2 on full frame

Sendt fra min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk2

NVSteve

So basically the Tamron and Sigma are cheaper because they are lower quality than the Nikon Lens. Not just a branding exercise...?

The new Sigma 35mm has been tested numerous times now & is better than any other lens out there in that length, so Sigma is really making a good turnaround from their previous offerings. I think Tamron also did a good job with their 24-70 and 70-200 (the new ones). But, there will always be those who refuse to look beyond their camera's brand.