Jake's Backdoor Hippie-palooza, 2014 Edition

BackdoorArts

A couple selective desaturation shots from the wrong side of the tracks.

20141015-E60_2078_HDR-Edit.jpg

20141015-E60_2091-Edit.jpg

Lawrence

Just spent the best part of an hour flipping through this thread again (the last 50 pages of it) and I am glad I did ...

Not only are the photos in here awesome but the detail to which you go in your explanations is priceless and in many cases at the time of posting I had no idea what you were talking about but have a tiny bit more knowledge now and they make more sense.

My "What Jake says/does" folder is getting fatter. :D

BackdoorArts

Holy moly, it's been almost a month since I added anything to this!! My bad.

This was taken at the Midtown Ferry Terminal in Manhattan. Loved the shot as soon as I turned the corner, and particularly because I was looking for something to shoot and enter in an "Upside-Down" challenge elsewhere. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had my shot. I wasn't originally thrilled with the kid in red, but when I cropped him out I found it to be a lesser shot.

20141101-D75_0708-Edit.jpg

And for the curious, I actually processed this with the intention of flipping it, but I didn't do so until after I was happy with it "normal"...

20141101-D75_0708-Edit-2.jpg

...though I prefer the inverted version myself.

wud

So cool :-D Pretty impressive, it works upside down.

Yes, you haven't posted in such a long time, I thought I accidently had removed subscription lol. Looking forward to seeing more stuff!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Missing your photos and your teaching ability, Jake. Hope all is well with you and your family--Happy Thanksgiving. :)

BackdoorArts

That's a great profile picture of you :)

Thanks, Mai. I was playing with my new Sony a6000 (great little camera) and was testing the timer function. The light from my office window wasn't half bad so I decided to try and do something with it. I was exhausted but this shot managed not to show it too much (shots looking directly into the camera were worse than mugshots). I did two treatments, with selective color on the eyes just for lark.

20141126-DSC00296-Edit-2.jpg

20141126-DSC00296-Edit.jpg

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Heck....I don't know....just figured it is when one takes a picture of themself. Details of how don't really matter I would think. I like both shots though. I'm sure you used a tripod, right?

BackdoorArts

Heck....I don't know....just figured it is when one takes a picture of themself. Details of how don't really matter I would think. I like both shots though. I'm sure you used a tripod, right?

I was sort of joking, because the word gets thrown around a lot. For me, a "selfie" is nothing but a snapshot taken of yourself (and potentially others) to do little more than document that "I was here" and/or fish for compliments from Instagram and Twitter followers. I pretty much abhor the term and what it represents - a nascent narcissism among a generation that continually values image above substance. Why else would there be a need to broadcast to the world what you look like every day - or multiple times each day?

With that said, this "self portrait" was taken with a Sony a6000 in self-timer mode, firing 3 shots (in under 1/3 second), while sitting on a cigar box sitting on the shelf above my laptop screen. A "selfie" would have required that I remove the piece of post-it over top of my laptop camera. ;)

And just so you know, there's no judgement on my part of your using the term. It's just a bit of a hot-button.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I know Jake.....every year or so, we get these newbie words that help define the newest generation and "selfie" is one of them. I don't much care for it either, but we've got to live with what society dishes out. It's been overdone and I agree with your remarks. How vain is society when you just have to post your picture on instagram or twitter (I don't subscribe to either). I know your pictures have thoughts behind them, and I'm glad to see who you are by your newest avatar. I might have to break out of the cowboy android and do one myself sometime. lol

Last edited:

oldhippy

Like the colored eyes, draws a person into the picture as you clarify wether it is a color shot that is heavy on black tones. Or just modified. Nice concept. Ed

Blacktop

Selfies been around for a long time. I would never take one, but what ever gets you through the night I suppose.
Vincent Van Gogh painted one. Some say that even the Mona Lisa was a selfie of Leonardo da Vincie.

BackdoorArts

Selfies been around for a long time. I would never take one, but what ever gets you through the night I suppose.
Vincent Van Gogh painted one. Some say that even the Mona Lisa was a selfie of Leonardo da Vincie.

Pardon me, but bull shit. Self portraits have been around for a long time, and a "selfie" is not a "self portrait", it's a modern expression for a vapid concept based on something of value - like using "BFF" for those 101 "best friends" you'll turn your back on next week. Saying so is like saying that any black and white photograph of trees and mountains is like an Ansel Adams.

Blacktop

Pardon me, but bull shit. Self portraits have been around for a long time, and a "selfie" is not a "self portrait", it's a modern expression for a vapid concept based on something of value - like using "BFF" for those 101 "best friends" you'll turn your back on next week. Saying so is like saying that any black and white photograph of trees and mountains is like an Ansel Adams.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking your self portrait. It is a well executed shot, the lighting is good .as well the post processing. (I could do without the selective coloring on the eyes however, but that's just personal taste.)

On the Ansel Adams reference, I would say that any black and white shot of trees and mountains is a black and white photograph.