+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    Senior Member

    Re: Raise your hand, Z owners!

    Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    You make me realize I have spent lot $$$ for Z gears with that I can instead buy a good used car!!!
    Back in my film days, I bought beater cars and kept them on the road as long as possible so I had enough money to spend on camera equipment. I spent more on my Z5 than any car for (ie not a family car) except the last one. Most I drove for at least 6 years, one I bought for $200 and drove 18 years. I suppose it's just a matter of priorities. It helps that I have been able to do my own car maintenance.


    › See More: Raise your hand, Z owners!
    Thanks/Like blackstar Thanks/liked this post
     



  2. #22
    Senior Member

    Re: Raise your hand, Z owners!

    Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    I use i button to change focus area modes (z6ii): pinpoint, single point, wide small, wide large, wide large (people), wide large (animal), auto area (you indicate as 3D), auto area (people), auto area (animal). The last three auto area modes can be set to use "auto tracking". The wide large (p & a) are with eye-detecting. This is what I think I know. Please correct if wrong.
    Do you have the option to switch between AF-S and AF-C? I believe this is why I programed my FN2 instead of switching focus points via the default i button. There are a few focus area modes you've listed that I dont have and there are some I didnt list because in I was under the impression from your posts you were inquiring about AF-C. My pinpoint mode is only found in AF-S, I have to switch to AF-C in order to get to the group focus points. I'm wondering if you are stuck in AF-S and thats why you dont see group mode.
    Last edited by TwistedThrottle; 09-21-2022 at 03:36 PM.
    Camera- Z6, D800, D7500, D40x
    Lenses-
    Z- 14-30 f4, 24-70 f4, 24-200 f4-6.3, 50 f1.8, 105 f2.8
    DX- Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma A 18-35 f1.8, Nikon 18-140 f3.5-5.6
    FX- Tamron 15-30 f2.8, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 80-200 f2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4, Nikon AF-P 70-300 f4.5-5.6 Sigma C 150-600 f5-6.3
    Prime Lenses- Nikon 50 f1.8g, Tamron 85 f1.8, Tokina 100 f2.8, Rokinon HD 8 f3.5

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    desmobob's Avatar

    Re: Raise your hand, Z owners!

    I also use the Function 2 button to enable AF type and group selection with the two command dials. I would prefer the ability to use the joystick and multi-selector center buttons and AF button for instant, one-touch AF settings changes, like on the D500, but using the Function 2 button on the Z is the next best thing, I'd guess.
    Thanks/Like TwistedThrottle Thanks/liked this post
     
    __________________________
    Z7 II, D750, D500, D200, F4s(x2), FG, F3HP, F2S

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Danno's Avatar

    Re: Raise your hand, Z owners!

    Raise your hand, Z owners!
    I have a Z6. It was pretty near the initial release because I did have to install the first firmware update that Nikon sent out for the Z cameras. I cannot remember. I also survived all the talking heads that claimed they were junk. I am just waiting now for the Z6III or the Z8. No, I will not be selling the Z6. I am thinking a bit about glass, but I am pretty happy with what I have right now. I just need to get ou and use it... I actually did use to take photos.

    Raise your hand, Z owners!-wild-clouds-1709.jpg
    Thanks/Like TwistedThrottle, desmobob, blackstar, Roy1961 Thanks/liked this post
     
    Dan~~Kentucky

    "The natural man must know in order to believe; The spiritual man must believe in order to know. " ~ Aiden Wilson Tozer ~ "The Dwelling Place of God"

    Nikon Z 6 FX Mirrorless Body, Nikkor Z 50 mm f/1.8S, Z 85 f/1.8S, Z70-200 F/2.8S, Z24-70 f/2.8S
    Nikkor Z14--30 f/4S, TC-2.0x Z mount Tele-Converter, AF-S Nikon 200-500 mm f/5.6E ED VR,

    https://www.dailywalkinthelight.com

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    blackstar's Avatar

    Re: Raise your hand, Z owners!

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedThrottle View Post
    Do you have the option to switch between AF-S and AF-C? I believe this is why I programed my FN2 instead of switching focus points via the default i button. There are a few focus area modes you've listed that I dont have and there are some I didnt list because in I was under the impression from your posts you were inquiring about AF-C. My pinpoint mode is only found in AF-S, I have to switch to AF-C in order to get to the group focus points. I'm wondering if you are stuck in AF-S and thats why you dont see group mode.
    I also use "i" to switch focus modes (AF-S, AF-C, M). There is no difference in focus area modes for AF-S or AF-C. For M, there's only one choice: center point. You (z6) and desmobob (z7ii) both mentioned "group" focus selection that I am not aware of in z6ii so far. Could I miss something?

  6. #26
    Senior Member

    Re: Raise your hand, Z owners!

    Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    I also use "i" to switch focus modes (AF-S, AF-C, M). There is no difference in focus area modes for AF-S or AF-C. For M, there's only one choice: center point. You (z6) and desmobob (z7ii) both mentioned "group" focus selection that I am not aware of in z6ii so far. Could I miss something?
    Yes. I downloaded the manual here and if you head to page 78 of the PDF, they cover group AF, (now called Dynamic area AF) its the square with 4 dots; one at the top, one at the bottom and one on each side. There's a special note saying, "this option is only available when photo mode is selected and continuous AF is chosen for focus mode." This is from the Z6ii manual, so the only explanation is you don't have continuous AF chosen.
    Camera- Z6, D800, D7500, D40x
    Lenses-
    Z- 14-30 f4, 24-70 f4, 24-200 f4-6.3, 50 f1.8, 105 f2.8
    DX- Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma A 18-35 f1.8, Nikon 18-140 f3.5-5.6
    FX- Tamron 15-30 f2.8, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 80-200 f2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4, Nikon AF-P 70-300 f4.5-5.6 Sigma C 150-600 f5-6.3
    Prime Lenses- Nikon 50 f1.8g, Tamron 85 f1.8, Tokina 100 f2.8, Rokinon HD 8 f3.5

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    blackstar's Avatar

    Re: Raise your hand, Z owners!

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedThrottle View Post
    Yes. I downloaded the manual here and if you head to page 78 of the PDF, they cover group AF, (now called Dynamic area AF) its the square with 4 dots; one at the top, one at the bottom and one on each side. There's a special note saying, "this option is only available when photo mode is selected and continuous AF is chosen for focus mode." This is from the Z6ii manual, so the only explanation is you don't have continuous AF chosen.
    Oop, my fault to miss and mistaken it! Dynamic area is only for AF-C and Pinpoint is only for AF-S. So now, what is you guy's AF settings for BIF? specifically: what AF area mode and metering you choose?
    Thanks/Like TwistedThrottle Thanks/liked this post
     

  8. #28
    Senior Member

    Re: Raise your hand, Z owners!

    Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    Oop, my fault to miss and mistaken it! Dynamic area is only for AF-C and Pinpoint is only for AF-S. So now, what is you guy's AF settings for BIF? specifically: what AF area mode and metering you choose?
    Glad we got it sorted out for ya!
    I use that dynamic mode (group af in DSLR's) with matrix metering 99.9% of my wildlife shots. I've also adjusted the "focus tracking with lock on" (A3) to "fast" which helps to reacquire my focus quickly if its been lost. Its just a setting that tells the camera how long you want it to wait after loosing focus to try to reacquire focus. You may want slow or somewhere in between if the focus keeps snapping to the tree the bird keeps flying behind for example.
    Thanks/Like blackstar Thanks/liked this post
     
    Camera- Z6, D800, D7500, D40x
    Lenses-
    Z- 14-30 f4, 24-70 f4, 24-200 f4-6.3, 50 f1.8, 105 f2.8
    DX- Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma A 18-35 f1.8, Nikon 18-140 f3.5-5.6
    FX- Tamron 15-30 f2.8, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 80-200 f2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4, Nikon AF-P 70-300 f4.5-5.6 Sigma C 150-600 f5-6.3
    Prime Lenses- Nikon 50 f1.8g, Tamron 85 f1.8, Tokina 100 f2.8, Rokinon HD 8 f3.5

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    blackstar's Avatar

    Re: Raise your hand, Z owners!

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedThrottle View Post
    Glad we got it sorted out for ya!
    I use that dynamic mode (group af in DSLR's) with matrix metering 99.9% of my wildlife shots. I've also adjusted the "focus tracking with lock on" (A3) to "fast" which helps to reacquire my focus quickly if its been lost. Its just a setting that tells the camera how long you want it to wait after loosing focus to try to reacquire focus. You may want slow or somewhere in between if the focus keeps snapping to the tree the bird keeps flying behind for example.
    I read some people would set A3 to high (number 5) for BIF to prevent from catching bird's wing covering its head (eye). I thought the number 5 (delayed) is set to help maintain focus on your original object (according to the Manual). Does it make sense? Not sure, and no easy way to find out, I guess.

  10. #30
    Senior Member

    Re: Raise your hand, Z owners!

    Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    I read some people would set A3 to high (number 5) for BIF to prevent from catching bird's wing covering its head (eye). I thought the number 5 (delayed) is set to help maintain focus on your original object (according to the Manual). Does it make sense? Not sure, and no easy way to find out, I guess.
    The easy way to find out is to go and see what works best for you!
    Camera- Z6, D800, D7500, D40x
    Lenses-
    Z- 14-30 f4, 24-70 f4, 24-200 f4-6.3, 50 f1.8, 105 f2.8
    DX- Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma A 18-35 f1.8, Nikon 18-140 f3.5-5.6
    FX- Tamron 15-30 f2.8, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 80-200 f2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4, Nikon AF-P 70-300 f4.5-5.6 Sigma C 150-600 f5-6.3
    Prime Lenses- Nikon 50 f1.8g, Tamron 85 f1.8, Tokina 100 f2.8, Rokinon HD 8 f3.5





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •