+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Backdoor Flicker Family

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Wow! Great shots Jake. About the last shot (the poop bag), it looks to me like a tiny bird. Could they be moving them somewhere else? Or could it be one that didn't survive? I'm amazed at the quality you're getting at iso 4000. Is Topaz involved with the post processing?
    I agree with Marcel. These are incredible shots, Jake.

    Question concerning something you wrote elsewhere yesterday - you said you use Topaz Denoise AI before going back to Photoshop Camera RAW. Then you said, I now open it in Camera Raw Filter from within Photoshop and do all my light adjustments to the denoised image. I can take images that are -3EV from perfect exposure and bring them to life without adding noise. So does that mean you can raise your exposure +3 stops in Camera RAW without adding any additional noise? Or am I not understanding this correctly?

    Editing my post to add the link to Jake's great info he wrote yesterday about Topaz.

    https://nikonites.com/photography-q-...tml#post735851


    › See More: Backdoor Flicker Family
    Last edited by hark; 06-09-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    Cindy - D750, D500, D7200
    Flickr
    and My 2020 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci





  2. #12
    Senior Member

    Re: Backdoor Flicker Family

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Wow! Great shots Jake. About the last shot (the poop bag), it looks to me like a tiny bird. Could they be moving them somewhere else? Or could it be one that didn't survive? I'm amazed at the quality you're getting at iso 4000. Is Topaz involved with the post processing?
    Thanks Marcel & Danno. Marcel, definitely not a small bird. It's the sac with some wood chips stuck to it from the bottom of the cavity. The babies stay in there for about 2-3 weeks and this is just house cleaning. It's pretty big, so they might be further along than I'd thought. When big enough they cling to the sides, and eventually they'll be popping their heads out of the 14-18" deep cavity to be fed. Those are the shots I'm waiting for.

    And as I've been preaching, these were all done with what has become my go to post processing stream: Crop in Lightroom and send to Photoshop, Topaz Denoise AI, Camera Raw Filter, Topaz Adjust AI, mask, dodge, burn, blur as needed, save, resize and export.
    Thanks/Like Marcel Thanks/liked this post
     
    Jake
    (formerly backdoorhippie)

  3. #13
    Senior Member

    Re: Backdoor Flicker Family

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    I agree with Marcel. These are incredible shots, Jake.

    Question concerning something you wrote elsewhere yesterday - you said you use Topaz Denoise AI before going back to Photoshop Camera RAW. Then you said, I now open it in Camera Raw Filter from within Photoshop and do all my light adjustments to the denoised image. I can take images that are -3EV from perfect exposure and bring them to life without adding noise. So does that mean you can raise your exposure +3 stops in Camera RAW without adding any additional noise? Or am I not understanding this correctly?
    Camera Raw only gets invoked as the Develop module in Lightroom or with opening a RAW file in Photoshop. In these situations the only difference between the interface and the Camera Raw Filter in the Ps Filter menu are available camera profiles (which is why I set that in Lightroom - almost always Neutral) and White Balance using temperatures vs. a +/- value from the starting point (Note: I may also adjust WB in Lr). So the Camera Raw Filter is what I'm using and it gets done after Denoise.

    Easiest way for you to see the lack of noise is to see the Fox shot in this post: https://nikonites.com/wild-life/4427...tml#post729553

    I invoked Denoise on the dark image and then brightened it. When it's that severe Denoise can add artifacts, so I would have to go back and try again occasionally if I saw them, or just clone them out.
    Last edited by BackdoorArts; 06-09-2020 at 03:19 PM.
    Thanks/Like hark Thanks/liked this post
     
    Jake
    (formerly backdoorhippie)

  4. #14
    Senior Member

    Re: Backdoor Flicker Family

    Yesterday for the first time the young'uns made their way to the hole. Not a feather on their heads so I'm thinking I'll have about 7-10 days of this before they leave. Photos are a bit oversmoothed from Denoise. Posted elsewhere that the D500 wasn't metering correctly with the remote. I'm thinking it's BBF related. These were 2 stops underexposed and I had the metering set for +0.7EV. No idea.

    Backdoor Flicker Family-d51_4396-edit-copy.jpg

    Backdoor Flicker Family-d51_3876-edit-copy.jpg
    Last edited by BackdoorArts; 06-11-2020 at 06:04 PM.
     
    Jake
    (formerly backdoorhippie)

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Whiskeyman's Avatar

    Re: Backdoor Flicker Family

    Why did this thread end where it did, Jake. What did I miss?

    WM
    “If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” - Jim Richardson

  6. #16
    Senior Member

    Re: Backdoor Flicker Family

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyman View Post
    Why did this thread end where it did, Jake. What did I miss?

    WM
    The fact that time is sometimes shorter than memories. I have photos elsewhere but the size restriction here requires that I export a set specifically for this site, which is more than a little PITA when you have a bunch. I'll try and update it when I have a moment.
    Thanks/Like Woodyg3, hark, Whiskeyman Thanks/liked this post
     
    Jake
    (formerly backdoorhippie)

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Whiskeyman's Avatar

    Re: Backdoor Flicker Family

    Quote Originally Posted by BackdoorArts View Post
    The fact that time is sometimes shorter than memories. I have photos elsewhere but the size restriction here requires that I export a set specifically for this site, which is more than a little PITA when you have a bunch. I'll try and update it when I have a moment.
    Roger that, Jake! I find myself often ready to post images that I posted earlier.

    I think I had another point to state about this matter, but can't remember what is was... Oh, yeah. I look forward to seeing those images when you post them.

    WM
    Thanks/Like BackdoorArts Thanks/liked this post
     
    “If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” - Jim Richardson





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Similar Threads

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •