+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Member
    Wolfsatz's Avatar

    Cool ]*]*]*] Wolf's School of Flight [*[*[*[

    ]*]*]*]  Wolf's School of Flight  [*[*[*[
    50 Feet Up!
    Dove by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    Don't worry love.. I got the NightWatch
    Got the Watch by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    VA Cardinal

    VA Cardinal by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    VA Cardinal by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    WoodPecker
    Woodpecker by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    Rose Bush Cover

    VA Cardinal by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    Sun Flower
    VA Cardinal by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    3 by 3
    VA Cardinal by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    Forever you WingMan

    Forever Your Wingman by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    Let's Skate
    Lets Skate by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    Take Out Available
    Untitled by Wolfsatz, on Flickr


    › See More: ]*]*]*] Wolf's School of Flight [*[*[*[
    Thanks/Like Dangerspouse, Dawg Pics Thanks/liked this post
     



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Dangerspouse's Avatar

    Re: ]*]*]*] Wolf's School of Flight [*[*[*[

    LOL @ "wingman"

    Hey man, I'm not familiar with the P900, so forgive my ignorance, but do you have the ability to manually focus that thing? If not, are you able to override the auto focus system and make it focus on something other than what it chooses (like the "focus and recompose" technique, or using focus points)? If so, I would definitely try doing either one. Your camera is focusing on what is closest to the lens, and that's not always your subject. So you've got really cute birds in really cute poses...and you're ending up with a nice sharp picture of a branch. If you can work it so it's the bird that's laser sharp, I think you'll be amazed at how much more you like your pics!



    edit: here's a quick example of what I mean. This baby jay fell out of its nest and ended up under our porch. When it stuck its head through a lattice opening I framed the shot in my viewfinder. If I had left everything on Auto, my camera would have focused on the porch lattice on the left side of the picture since that was the part closest to the lens, and that would have put the bird out of focus. But by choosing Single Point focus mode, then putting that point on the bird's eye while I recomposed slightly, the camera ignored the left side of the porch and kept the bird's face sharp:

    ]*]*]*]  Wolf's School of Flight  [*[*[*[-bird-lattice-3.jpg


    See what I mean? And that was with an entry level D3300. Your P900 can probably do this no problem at all I'm guessing, so give it a shot! Seems like you have an awful lot of birds in your yard you can practice on
    Last edited by Dangerspouse; 01-12-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    Thanks/Like Wolfsatz Thanks/liked this post
     
    Fiat lux. Fiat vox.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Needa's Avatar

    Re: ]*]*]*] Wolf's School of Flight [*[*[*[

    "Let's Skate" Nice shot.
    Thanks/Like Wolfsatz Thanks/liked this post
     

  4. #4
    Member
    Wolfsatz's Avatar

    Re: ]*]*]*] Wolf's School of Flight [*[*[*[

    ]*]*]*]  Wolf's School of Flight  [*[*[*[
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerspouse View Post
    LOL @ "wingman"

    Hey man, I'm not familiar with the P900, so forgive my ignorance, but do you have the ability to manually focus that thing? If not, are you able to override the auto focus system and make it focus on something other than what it chooses (like the "focus and recompose" technique, or using focus points)?



    See what I mean? A
    Yes.. I know what you mean.

    That's has been one of my main 'concerns' of the camera.... however, before I criticize the equipment too harshly.. I should read the manual and get familiar with the different features. I have not even register the camera at Nikon yet. Everything so far has been just by intuition... including how to transfer pix to my phone wirelessly.

    I will research Single Point Focus on the P900.. that should help me not missed some great shots.... as it has been frustrating at times focusing on the wrong things and even the focus and recompose technique has not worked. .. some times even on the far background instead of the feather subjects.

    However... I do not necessarily want all the shots in its total focus... so I was playing with the silhouettes. Some of these below was using soft focus.

    Contrast by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    WoodPecker by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    Untitled by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    Untitled by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

    Cardinal by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
    Thanks/Like Dangerspouse Thanks/liked this post
     

  5. #5
    Member
    Wolfsatz's Avatar

    Re: ]*]*]*] Wolf's School of Flight [*[*[*[

    The Double Genie was here.
    Thanks/Like Dangerspouse Thanks/liked this post
     

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Dangerspouse's Avatar

    Re: ]*]*]*] Wolf's School of Flight [*[*[*[

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsatz View Post
    Yes.. I know what you mean.

    That's has been one of my main 'concerns' of the camera.... however, before I criticize the equipment too harshly.. I should read the manual and get familiar with the different features. I have not even register the camera at Nikon yet. Everything so far has been just by intuition... including how to transfer pix to my phone wirelessly.

    I will research Single Point Focus on the P900.. that should help me not missed some great shots.... as it has been frustrating at times focusing on the wrong things and even the focus and recompose technique has not worked. .. some times even on the far background instead of the feather subjects.

    However... I do not necessarily want all the shots in its total focus... so I was playing with the silhouettes. Some of these below was using soft focus.
    Yeah, getting familiar with the new gear is definitely gonna answer a lot of your questions, I'm sure. And hey - if you can't find it in the manual, or just don't feel like thumbing through 628 pages of jargon, you can always ask away here. A lot of the members here are virtual walking camera databases.

    Oh, and if your intent was to take "soft focus" and silhouette shots and you're happy with what you're getting - great! I wasn't criticizing, just offering my thoughts. Go for it
    Thanks/Like Wolfsatz Thanks/liked this post
     
    Fiat lux. Fiat vox.

  7. #7
    Member
    Wolfsatz's Avatar

    Re: ]*]*]*] Wolf's School of Flight [*[*[*[

    ]*]*]*]  Wolf's School of Flight  [*[*[*[
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerspouse View Post
    Yeah, getting familiar with the new gear is definitely gonna answer a lot of your questions, I'm sure. And hey - if you can't find it in the manual, or just don't feel like thumbing through 628 pages of jargon, you can always ask away here. A lot of the members here are virtual walking camera databases.

    Oh, and if your intent was to take "soft focus" and silhouette shots and you're happy with what you're getting - great! I wasn't criticizing, just offering my thoughts. Go for it
    I like critique... specially from other photographers... some times critique from non photographers only goes so far.

    Here's one where I was able to focus quickly and on the right subject.
    Tuesday by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
    Thanks/Like Dangerspouse, Dawg Pics Thanks/liked this post
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Dangerspouse's Avatar

    Re: ]*]*]*] Wolf's School of Flight [*[*[*[

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsatz View Post
    I like critique... specially from other photographers... some times critique from non photographers only goes so far.

    Here's one where I was able to focus quickly and on the right subject.
    Tuesday by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
    Hey, good job with that. Keep it up!
    Fiat lux. Fiat vox.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Dangerspouse's Avatar

    Re: ]*]*]*] Wolf's School of Flight [*[*[*[

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsatz View Post
    Here's one where I was able to focus quickly and on the right subject.
    Wolf, do you do any post-processing? If so, you should try playing around with some of the tools to see what kind of variations you can make to the same picture. It can be very instructive, and help you quickly decide later how you may or may not want to compose future pictures (plus, it's just a helluva lot of fun).

    Take this shot, for instance. I can see why you like it. The bird is more sharply focused than some of your others, and there's an overall soft effect that's quite pleasing. And shooting it through those branches gives it a distinct "feel".

    But when you get a picture like this that you like, let your imagination kick in. Ask yourself how it might look if you cropped it differently, or intensified the contrast, or lowered the contrast, etc. There's not harm in manipulating a picture, even a good one, because you can always revert to the original with no harm done if you don't like the adjustments. And if you do like the adjustments, well, there you go. You improved on a picture you might not have thought you could, and maybe that will guide you when you take future pictures. It's a win/win!

    For instance, I hope you don't mind but I gave a few tweaks to your picture here just to see. I'm at work and don't have access to my Lightroom program at home, which does an excellent job with this. But even the crummy default viewer on my work PC allows me to crop and do a few basic edits. It even has a "Spot Heal" function, which works horribly but I tried it nonetheless.

    See what you think. This is your picture with the right side clutter cropped out, bringing the bird to a more prominent position in the frame. I straightened it just a bit so the feeder bars are vertical, and I slid the "Clarity" slider a smidge. I don't think it's necessarily a keeper, or any better than yours, but it was fun to see what the same picture could look like with just a few seconds worth of messing around:

    ]*]*]*]  Wolf's School of Flight  [*[*[*[-wolfs-bird-crop.jpg

    One of the things I wanted to try was to erase the branch that bisected the bird's shoulder, out of sheer curiosity how that function worked in this program. It worked terribly, basically making the branch into more of a smudge. If you do have a program like Lightroom/Photoshop, it does a much better job. Here's a picture I shot of a cardinal that had the same thing - a branch across the chest. But with a few clicks of my mouse Lightroom erased it, and so it did not distract from what I thought was a great expression on the bird's face when it spotted me:

    ]*]*]*]  Wolf's School of Flight  [*[*[*[-cardinals-5.jpg

    So yeah, give that a shot. Even if you like a picture, manipulate it in different ways just for grins and giggles. You might use it, you might not, but I guarantee you'll really start discovering things about composition this way.

    Last edited by Dangerspouse; 01-13-2020 at 04:27 PM. Reason: usual spelling misadventures.
    Fiat lux. Fiat vox.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    mikew's Avatar

    Re: ]*]*]*] Wolf's School of Flight [*[*[*[

    Sorry if i missed it but do you shoot in burst mode, i found with the P900 a burst of between 3 and 5 frames gave me some keepers more often
    Mike

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

    Nikon Z50,Nikon16-50MM,Nikon50-250MM,FTZ Adapter
    Sigma 100-400, Sigma 105mm macro
    Nikon V2,10-30MM,30-110MM FT1 Adapter

















Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •